First look: Passbook support in Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple's newly updated Mountain Lion Mac operating system contains built-in support for receiving and syncing Passbook passes via iCloud.

Passbook 1

If a Passbook .pkpass file is saved and opened on a system running OS X 10.8.2, users are shown the digital pass as it would appear on their iPhone. In the bottom right, a button that reads "Add to Passbook" allows users to push that pass to their iPhone, via iCloud.

Passbook support is also contained in Safari and Mail with OS X 10.8.2. If a user receives a Passbook attachment in Mountain Lion Mail, they are presented with a notification that reads "This message contains a Passbook pass."

Users can then click "View Pass" to see the card. From there, users can choose "Add to Passbook," which will add the pass to an iPhone or iPod touch using iCloud.

Users can test the functionality themselves by creating a dummy Passbook file using online tools like PassSource. From there, a .pkpass file can be saved and opened in the latest version of Mountain Lion.

Passbook 2

For now, Passbook integration is limited to a handful of applications in iOS 6. But support for .pkpass files could allow stores to provide coupons to users on the Web or via e-mail, and have them quickly and easily sent to a user's iPhone via iCloud, even without a dedicated iOS application.

Passbook-compatible applications began appearing in the iOS App Store on Wednesday alongside the launch of iOS 6. Passbook is one of the most significant new additions to iOS, collecting store cards, gift cards, boarding passes, tickets and other items in a digital wallet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    This has the potential to be something really great.
  • Reply 2 of 14

I haven't figured out how this works with apps yet. I just bought a concert ticket from live nation and while the app shows a ticket the passbook app is empty

Check that it's only select venues okay so this makes sense then

• Reply 3 of 14

This is just sick.  

I can't wait to see how many, and who, gets on board with this.  Amazing.

ps.  Sam's Club?  Or is this a dummy pass?

• Reply 4 of 14
    I hope retailers and venue's due add support quickly so this can become even more beneficial for users who don't live in "major" metro markets like NYC, San Francisco,etc but do live in large cities.
  • Reply 5 of 14

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Or is this a dummy pass?

So totally real, dude. I talk to John all the time. 

• Reply 6 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So totally real, dude. I talk to John all the time. 

Touche'.

But my point wasn't the name on the pass, it was about the pass being available to Sam's Club members.  I think (hope) you know that...

• Reply 7 of 14
    If passbook can make into Mac then why not in iPad?
  • Reply 8 of 14

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Touche'.

But my point wasn't the name on the pass, it was about the pass being available to Sam's Club members.  I think (hope) you know that...

Oh, yeah; just making a joke. I think eventually every store that has a nationwide presence, every store that has a regional presence, and even many stores that are just within a few states or regions will utilize Passbook. 

I suppose I hadn't thought long about it being used for more permanent solutions like Sam's Club cards… That'd work wonderfully.

• Reply 9 of 14

This has potential if I don't need the main app also on my phone.  Why do I want to open passbook to get access to my starbucks card when I can just as easily open my starbucks app.. that still needs to be on my phone for it to work with passbook.. although starbucks hasn't even enabled passbook yet.

I get it that it keeps everything in one place.. but if I need to go back into my starbucks app to add funds, find a store.. all that stuff, then I don't need passbook to hold my card.  I really don't see this being as cool as they presented it.

Also.. maps is f-ing horrible.  It's a bread and butter app for me. I use it constantly to look up phone numbers and use it for directions while driving.. even over my car's GPS.  But yesterday I was out of town and it sent me to the wrong airport.  The "new" airport (that has been open for 2 years) didn't show up on Maps. 

All in all.. I'm not so impressed with ios6.  It's been on my phone since the GM was released a week ago..

• Reply 10 of 14

Why does this only seem to work in mountain lion mail, I only really use my yahoo email can this be integrated into mountain lion mail so if i do get an email for a ticket or pass i bought or an e gift card someone sent me i push it to my iphone?

• Reply 11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I haven't figured out how this works with apps yet. I just bought a concert ticket from live nation and while the app shows a ticket the passbook app is empty

Yea i downloaded fandago last night but there were no movie theatres locally that i could use it for. I still have gift cards laying around, so eventually I would like to integrate all those mostly. But it will be nice for flying. But I hope more people do support it , and figure out the easiest way for it to work.

• Reply 12 of 14
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I'm with you. Passbook isn't very intuitive.

• Reply 13 of 14
    PASSSOURCE.com DOES NOT ONLY MAKE DUMMY PASSES

I've been using Passbook at Starbucks for like 2 months now. You just buy the eGiftcard and type in the code to PasssSource and it generates a barcode.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    @macvertigo the power of Passbook is that it holds your cards and presents them without you doing a thing once you reach your location. Way better than having to go open the app. It even can present the card on your lock screen so you don't have to unlock it (if you so choose).