iOS 6 adoption above 15% after just 24 hours, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58

Wait til they open Maps.

;)

But beyond *that*, iOS is 6 is quite awesome. Put it this way, even with Apple's Map app being the way it is, I'm happy I upgraded. There's a lot in iOS 6 to love. 

• Reply 22 of 58

I updated my iPad only, as I rarely use that for navigation. I am disappointed in Maps. Not upgrading my 4S until Google releases Google Maps app. Not gonna go without. Access on Safari or Chrome on 3G is slooooooooooow.

• Reply 23 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Try telling that to people when they're bragging how Android "the entity" is outselling iOS devices.

exactly.. and "winning" even if only samsung makes money from it. and apple makes 4x more than all of them together (on phones).

• Reply 24 of 58
    pendergast wrote: »
    Which bugs? I've experienced none, other than

[SIZE=16px]THE UGLY WHITE KEYPAD IN THE PHONE APP[/SIZE]

Ok, that's off my chest. 

I've been using it since beta 1 and it's least buggy betas and GM I've used and I"ve used all betas since iOS 2.

The only bug I am experiencing, and have experienced this with iOS versions, is that if I make a call whilst playing a song after the ringer engages the music will start playing again but more muted like background music.

jragosta wrote: »
    Nice try at avoiding the issue.
    The issue (as has been explained to you dozens of times) is that people who buy Android phones rarely get to upgrade their phones. No bug fixes. No security patches. No access to apps that require a newer system version. None of the new OS features that are introduced in later system versions.
    It doesn't really matter who is at fault. The user is screwed.

Give him enough time and he'll blame poor Android updates on Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 58

Not really any reason to upgrade an iPhone 4.

• Reply 26 of 58
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

How much does iOS 6 cost? As I recall, Leopard was pretty expensive.

• Reply 27 of 58
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

It's free!! Wow, a free OS update?? Mountain Lion wasn't free...

• Reply 28 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanchu View Post

I updated my iPad only, as I rarely use that for navigation. I am disappointed in Maps. Not upgrading my 4S until Google releases Google Maps app. Not gonna go without. Access on Safari or Chrome on 3G is slooooooooooow.

Exactly what are you disappointed in?

• Reply 29 of 58
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    pendergast wrote: »
    Which bugs? I've experienced none, other than

[SIZE=16px]THE UGLY WHITE KEYPAD IN THE PHONE APP[/SIZE]

Ok, that's off my chest. 
    I agree. I don't see bugs. Maps needs some help (although it is pretty good in my area) and the keypad is just awful.
  • Reply 30 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by WardC View Post

It's free!! Wow, a free OS update?? Mountain Lion wasn't free...

You're confusing me. iOS updates for iPhone are always free. 

OS X updates are a nominal charge.

• Reply 31 of 58
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    yanchu wrote: »

Do you navigate with the old maps App? It was terrible at it. Ok for walking and transit, useless for driving. You would be better off using maps in safari.
  • Reply 32 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

the keypad is just awful.

Seriously, my eyes burn. It makes me feel like I'm using an Android device, or I hit the wrong Accessibility option.

• Reply 33 of 58
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Nice try at avoiding the issue.
    The issue (as has been explained to you dozens of times) is that people who buy Android phones rarely get to upgrade their phones. No bug fixes. No security patches. No access to apps that require a newer system version. None of the new OS features that are introduced in later system versions.
    It doesn't really matter who is at fault. The user is screwed.

Android users constantly get updates, I get updates to the core Google Apps quite often, this has been explained to your dozens of time. Yes we don't some OS updates, but we don't have to wait for an OS update just to update mail.

And again, how is the user screwed? You never seem to give a good answer to this, I am on 2.3 yet I still get all the latest Google apps (excluding Chrome), I get bug fixes to apps constantly, but somehow I don't feel "screwed"
  • Reply 34 of 58
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Give him enough time and he'll blame poor Android updates on Apple.

Unlike you I don't start abusing people for the heck of it. You have promised to ignore me, but you never do, why not?
  • Reply 35 of 58

Originally Posted by WardC View Post

How much does iOS 6 cost? As I recall, Leopard was pretty expensive.

Leopard was the last OS to cost $129. Which wasn't expensive when compared to the other side. Snow Leopard and Lion were $30, and Mountain Lion is $20.

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Unlike you I don't start abusing people for the heck of it. You have promised to ignore me, but you never do, why not?

Don't be a masochist; you shouldn't be ignored! Just more accurate, is all.

• Reply 36 of 58
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    I bet the adoption of its 6 is slower that others over a longer period. There are heaps of people who won't upgrade because the crap map app.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jfanning wrote: »
    Android users constantly get updates, I get updates to the core Google Apps quite often, this has been explained to your dozens of time. Yes we don't some OS updates, but we don't have to wait for an OS update just to update mail.
    And again, how is the user screwed? You never seem to give a good answer to this, I am on 2.3 yet I still get all the latest Google apps (excluding Chrome), I get bug fixes to apps constantly, but somehow I don't feel "screwed"

So once again, you're either not bright enough to realize the difference between an OS upgrade and an app upgrade or you're being intentionally obtuse.

I already explained your answer many, many times.

1. You don't get security patches for the older versions of Android.

2. You don't get any OS bug fixes.

3. Some apps (such as Chrome) require newer versions of Android, so you can't run them.

4. Any time an Android OS version introduces new OS features, you don't get them.

So, which is it:
    1. Android is perfect and never had a bug or security issue - plus the newer versions don't have anything that any user could ever want.
    or
    2. Inability to update Android devices to a newer version is a real problem.

No more dancing around. Answer the question.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lerxt wrote: »
    I bet the adoption of its 6 is slower that others over a longer period. There are heaps of people who won't upgrade because the crap map app.

And yet it started faster than any iOS upgrade in history.

I think you're letting a few loud complainers skew your opinion. Most people don't have any problem with the maps app - and even if they do, they can still use Google Maps in the browser.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    lerxt wrote: »

Well I bet you're wrong.
    Apple are really good at addressing issues quickly.
    6.01 will likely have it fixed. And it seems to be a problem for some not all.
  • Reply 40 of 58

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Well I bet you're wrong.

He's shockingly wrong, in fact, but they won't have Maps "fixed" in less than a year, I don't imagine.