Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 259

Apple should create a OS X and Windows version of the maps, Call it Apple Earth or whatever.  People with free time can roam around on the program and label, spot, study or input correct data.  One of the reasons Google earth has a ton of data is people inputting data constantly and studying every detail on the mapping system.

This new mapping system on iOS devices is very VERY limited, it needs room to grow on different platforms.  No way Apple can create enough data on just iOS devices to make it accurate.

• Reply 62 of 259

The problems aren't just with Flyover. Traffic data and navigation accuracy is really poor.

• Reply 63 of 259
    Rome was not mapped in a day.

Apple's Maps is one of the most exciting things to happen in online mapping in a long time. Considering this is a 1.0 version of a fully vector map that is rendered on the fly the quality and performance of Apple's maps is amazing. Equally amazing is the speed at which map corrections and improvements are happening. Consider that when Apple depended on Google Maps that they were unable to make any improvements at all in the map. They were completely at Google's mercy for map improvements and new features. If Google did not want turn by turn directions then Apple could not add them. Please report errors in the map and use Google Maps in Safari for now if you must. Give Apple's maps the time it needs to reach its full potential.
  • Reply 64 of 259
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

It sounds like a Google Maps app for iOS is in the pipeline. Let's hope that it comes out soon.

• Reply 65 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Rome was not mapped in a day.

Apple's Maps is one of the most exciting things to happen in online mapping in a long time. Considering this is a 1.0 version of a fully vector map that is rendered on the fly the quality and performance of Apple's maps is amazing. Equally amazing is the speed at which map corrections and improvements are happening. Consider that when Apple depended on Google Maps that they were unable to make any improvements at all in the map. They were completely at Google's mercy for map improvements and new features. If Google did not want turn by turn directions then Apple could not add them. Please report errors in the map and use Google Maps in Safari for now if you must. Give Apple's maps the time it needs to reach its full potential.

Why release it if it's not even finished yet? There was no need to rush.

• Reply 66 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, hey. Guess what. Other mapping services continue to exist.

Skil, I'm in agreement with your comments 99% of the time. But Apple deserves the negative comments they are getting right now. They replaced a superior product with a lesser product. Expect people to complain. Yes it will get better, yes it's a 1.0 release but right now, we went from having great mapping information to far less. Telling people to accept it from a massive company like Apple who prides itself on great software or to simply use other software is only trying to deflect the issue.

• Reply 67 of 259
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

I don't know why Apple decided to become a mapping company. Totally unnecessary, the Google Maps app was perfectly fine. These tedious little cat fights are what bring companies and countries crashing down by draining their talent and resources. 

• Reply 68 of 259
    When's the last time that Apple replaced something and then less than a year later everyone acknowledged that Apple's decision and outcome had become what was known as right?

When competitors claim that it is now "standard essential" in order to deny Apple it's patent rights. I recall when Eric Schmidt said he thought Steve Jobs was crazy to want to sell a tablet. How quickly they forget. Now the tablet is "obvious."
  • Reply 69 of 259
    Anyone try asking for nearby hotels ? Every time I do I get a list of local car dealershipsjQuery18107927145992871374_1348182066783?
  • Reply 70 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

But, in all fairness, a service like a mapping program is a "work in progress"... and it always will be. 

Please don't suggest that "work in progress" is the same thing as what people are taking an issue with. No one is suggesting there will be no updates to the app. No one is saying it doesn't have any nice aspects to it. You knew full well they are saying it's not as useful as the previous app.

Let's remember, this isn't some Google v Apple thing. This is an Apple v Apple thing. It was their Maps software that came on on their devices. This defense of the things people are missing from Apple's Maps app is akin to people saying that they PenTile AMOLED on the SIII better than their non-PenTile Android phone simply because their SIII is newer.

Hey!  We're on the same side of this issue!  They screwed up!  They may have had no choice, but they screwed up!  Now, they need to make it right and move on... 

I am willing to give them that chance!  If they don't make it right, I will be disappointed as a user and a shareholder -- and I will be quite vocal about it.

• Reply 71 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Enduring the whining and self pity I see on this list almost makes me want to become a Republican.... almost. 

Nah.

I agree.  When Republicans stopped being Conservatives they went downhill.

• Reply 72 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What a bunch of whiners. image The newest iOS update has been out for a little more than 24 hours, and already certain knee-jerkers and other sorts of whiny people attempt to turn this into some sort of big issue, as if their lives are doomed.

Yes, if you live in the middle of nowhere, or some foreign country that isn't adequately represented in the app yet, then rest assured, Apple will eventually get to your neck of the woods. In the meantime, if using maps is important to you, then just use something else. Whining will get you nowhere.

So no one should ever complain about Apple software? If you do then you are a whiner? All the negative comments on iOS maps are justified. I'm a massive Apple fan and hate to see Apple make a mis-step but my reality distortion field isn't that strong.

• Reply 73 of 259
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I am glad I have not updated to iOS 6. I'll be holding off for a while. There is no going back once you update.
  • Reply 74 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Skil, I'm in agreement with your comments 99% of the time. But Apple deserves the negative comments they are getting right now. They replaced a superior product with a lesser product. Expect people to complain. Yes it will get better, yes it's a 1.0 release but right now, we went from having great mapping information to far less. Telling people to accept it from a massive company like Apple who prides itself on great software or to simply use other software is only trying to deflect the issue.

I completely agree.  Having said that I'm willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt that they will improve this in a timely manner as mapping services are used by a ton of people.

• Reply 75 of 259
    They did replace something. They replaced Google's maps with their own. Whether you consider them an adequate replacement or not is up to you.

I know they'll get better in a year or two, so in the meantime I'll be using Google Earth and Waze apps. I'll use Apple's maps occasionally for the larger cities.

The poster I replied to was claiming that the iPad replaced other tablets like the new Maps replaced the old Maps. Clearly not the case.

pendergast wrote: »
    Yeah, because I totally cannot use Maps now. I definitely didn't use the nifty turn-by-turn navigation earlier today. Yeah. In the dark.

Inferences from the particular to the general are informal logic fallacies. Using them against me won't get you anywhere in an argument.

Consumers still have choice. They have the choice to use an iPhone. They have the choice to upgrade to iOS 6. They have the choice to use maps.google.com in Safari. They have the choice to use any number of third-party apps.

That doesn't mean they have more choice, like they did when the iPad came out. Sorry, that analogy is flawed; not that it matters though, analogies are informal logic fallacies due to being inferences from the particular to the particular.

It's no use, this poster just likes to gripe about everything the iPhone does. Don't even mention the *gasp* new dock connector. Apparently, Apple sent a secret team of agents into his house, stole his current iPhone, and MADE him use an iPhone 5 with iOS 6 loaded on it. And didn't give him an adapter.

I complain when functionality is removed for no good reason. I complain when a service that is clearly not ready for prime time is sent to production. I complain because I expect quality from Apple, and currently they aren't delivering; they're getting sloppy. This is not even a new service, this is a service that intends to replace an existing service and is expected to be better than the existing service in every possible respect.

allenbf wrote: »
    It's a Maps app...as stated, there are others available.  How did you get around 6 years ago before there was a mobile map?  Some people are just ridiculous.

6 years ago I had a Nokia N95 with Nokia Maps, and it could find my street!

tailpipe wrote: »
    I simply cannot understand what all the whining and whingeing is about. Someone else said this situation should hardly be surprising since this is Apple Maps V 1.0 whereas Google Maps is V 6.0. You can easily access Google Maps using the iPhone's web browser and soon I'm sure Google will release its own Maps App. Moreover, Apple will continually upgrade its maps and I look forward to the day when it is actually better than Google. i am sure it will come sooner than anyone could imagine. 

I expect Apple to be competent in what they do; that's why I am a customer. The GPS is the single reason why I use a smart phone at all.

As to why I am complaining about this, I am complaining because this crap can not find any nearby street that I search for despite the fact that the streets are right there on the map. This isn't even a data problem, it's bad code, it shouldn't have gone into production in this state, and now people will have to wait for an update that may take who knows how long to materialize. Not only that but the new maps are quite heavy, rendering at a much lower frame rate than the old app.

Also, to those who were suggesting adding the web version of Google Maps to the home screen, you really have to try using that outside to see how slowly your own position updates before suggesting something like that as a viable alternatives. I'm glad to have iOS 5.1.1 firmwares around for both my iPhone 4S and iPad 3G GSM.
  • Reply 76 of 259
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

So no one should ever complain about Apple software? If you do then you are a whiner? All the negative comments on iOS maps are justified. I'm a massive Apple fan and hate to see Apple make a mis-step but my reality distortion field isn't that strong.

That is what you call a sheep.

• Reply 77 of 259

What some people don't understand is that no one cares that this is Apple's first try at mapping, all they care about is that this version sucks compared to the previous version. 

Maps got a downgrade from ios 5 to ios 6. The data got worst and Maps are all about data. 

• Reply 78 of 259
    They should have just called it "beta" like they did with Siri.
  • Reply 79 of 259

Even in central London it gave my address incorrectly at about 100m out, before it was precise. Even on a 100Mb connection it was slow to render, when it did it was good (for New York at least) unless you looked too closely. Sorry but no where near as good as Google maps. Apple are messing up too frequently these days maybe when you start to believe your own press is the time to change. Sad but unfortunately true. 

P.S. Anyway got to go to bed early got to get up to bye my new iPhone in 8 hours.

• Reply 80 of 259
    It's just that the 'Flyover' is pretty until you get to the flatlands. Even as an urbanite without a car, I NEVER used Google maps for transit information. I tried it on line once and it directed me to catch two buses to a station for a train line, that had a station a mile from my home (one bus or a brisk walk away) and it could never distinguish between 'commuter' and 'public transit' train lines. Commuter lines ae from the city to the suburbs and public transportation lines are in the city and intercept with bus lines. So I ain't missing that at all.