Rumor that Google has submitted Maps app for iOS 6 is false

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Well, Yahoo! says it. It must be true. They're certainly a source of what's current in tech these days.
    I prefer dave screens. Less gloria.
    Shirley, you must be joking. Shirley.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    What's odd is that I've never heard of him. It's been a long time since I last read anyone mention The Loop as well.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    vaelian wrote: »
    Well that's too bad, but at least I've already downgraded my iPad. Not sure what I'm going to do for development now but I know I'm not upgrading again for a while.
    Goodbye iOS 6...

Why? Maps in the browser is better then the old maps app. Particularly on the iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    sandman619 wrote: »
    The iOS 6 Maps app is an upgrade to the original Maps app. There never has been a Google Maps app, by the way. The original Maps app was Apple's software, the Maps app used Google's map data. But a change was necessary due to Google would not provide Apple with certain APIs in order to have turn by turn voice nav. So, Apple's new map data supplier is TomTom, which has been curating

The thing people seem to have forgotten is that the original maps app sucked.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    I don't need no Google Maps.  I like Apple Maps.
    I don't need to StreetView.  I prefer FlyOver.

I remember the initial backlash for Final Cut Pro and now everyone loves it.

Apple Maps will rule the worlds.

Time will tell.

Flyover doesn't even come close to streetview. as fo final cut, the video school my son is attending has dropped it for Adobe, so no, not everyone loves it.
    Flyover doesn
  • Reply 26 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Here's a quick tip: When asking a question to someone known for giving "terse" answers, DON'T MAKE IT A COMPOUND QUESTION! Was he saying "nope" that Google has submitted the app? Or, was he saying "nope" about Apple "sitting on it?"

and your a lawyer? Your suppose to be able to muddle through the crap and confusion.

"posted on Thursday, September 20th, 2012 at 6:pm. PT

Written by Jim Dalrymple

QUOTE: Additionally, we've learned an updated iOS 6 version of the Google

Maps.app has been submitted to Apple. END QUOTE

Nope."

Clearly Jim Dalrymple is quoting the above statement. And his answer "Nope" states that it is not true. Never mind the AI tittle and graphics which is just sensational to get more clicks. 

• Reply 27 of 44
    The Apple map SUCKS
  • Reply 28 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Here's a quick tip: When asking a question to someone known for giving "terse" answers, DON'T MAKE IT A COMPOUND QUESTION! Was he saying "nope" that Google has submitted the app? Or, was he saying "nope" about Apple "sitting on it?"

Agreed. The correct answer is, "Nope. Nope."

• Reply 29 of 44
    wovel wrote: »
    Why? Maps in the browser is better then the old maps app. Particularly on the iPad.

I don't want location information on the browser, I want the ability to save locations without a Google account, and the web app takes ages to update your positions (especially in areas with low reception) and is sluggish compared to the native app (this also applies to the new Maps which run at like 10-20fps). I'll get an iPad Mini for development as soon as they come out; in the mean time I'll stick to the Simulator for a month for iOS 6 support. I really didn't want to miss the downgrade window now that the beta is over.

The thing people seem to have forgotten is that the original maps app sucked.

Though it wasn't replacing something that didn't suck.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Even if Google submitted it, will Apple approve it?
    For now just use maps online.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

Worse, in my opinion, at least on my iOS 5 'new' iPad. The native app is smooth, browser on site has a very noticeable loss in frame rate when scrolling. It's still usable, but I don't see where it is better than the old app.

vaelian wrote: »
    Well that's too bad, but at least I've already downgraded my iPad. Not sure what I'm going to do for development now but I know I'm not upgrading again for a while.
    Goodbye iOS 6...

Pardon my ignorance, but what software is in that image?
  • Reply 32 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booga View Post

You sound completely reasonable and not acting in a knee-jerk reactionary fashion at all.  It must be nice to be so level-headed.

Core functionality is broken, so upgrading to a previous version of the OS where it worked is unreasonable?

Wow.  That's a level of stupid I just can't fathom.

Anyway, I'm now waiting on two things before I'll even consider installing 6:

• An untethered jailbreak (absolute deal-killer for me, jailbreak adds mandatory functionality.)

• Google Maps app

It's a shame about the maps.  Anyone thinking about it already knew this was going to be broken, though.  Apple has NEVER had any mapping competency, and good mapping is actually hard.

• Reply 33 of 44
    I doubt Google will submit a maps app since their mapping solution is a significant selling point for team Android.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    You have no idea how difficult it is. This article really opened my eyes as to why Google Maps will retain technical superiority to all other mapping solutions for some time to come.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/09/how-google-builds-its-maps-and-what-it-means-for-the-future-of-everything/261913/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Core functionality is broken, so upgrading to a previous version of the OS where it worked is unreasonable?

Wow.  That's a level of stupid I just can't fathom.

Anyway, I'm now waiting on two things before I'll even consider installing 6:

• An untethered jailbreak (absolute deal-killer for me, jailbreak adds mandatory functionality.)

• Google Maps app

It's a shame about the maps.  Anyone thinking about it already knew this was going to be broken, though.  Apple has NEVER had any mapping competency, and good mapping is actually hard.

• Reply 35 of 44

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

I doubt Google will submit a maps app since their mapping solution is a significant selling point for team Android.

Yeah, they'll sure ignore the iOS revenue, won't they.

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

…jailbreak adds mandatory functionality.

No phone in the history of telephony has worked without jailbreaking.

• Reply 36 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

You have no idea how difficult it is. This article really opened my eyes as to why Google Maps will retain technical superiority to all other mapping solutions for some time to come.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/09/how-google-builds-its-maps-and-what-it-means-for-the-future-of-everything/261913/

Take that article with a grain of salt. It's not as magical as that particular reporter, unfamiliar with LBS or mapping issues, made it sound like. 

• Reply 37 of 44
    The article succinctly explains the process with a high level of detail. What are your issues with it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Take that article with a grain of salt. It's not as magical as that particular reporter, unfamiliar with LBS or mapping issues, made it sound like. 

• Reply 38 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

The article succinctly explains the process with a high level of detail. What are your issues with it?

It's not that anything in the article about how Google develops a map was factually incorrect. It's more that the motions Google goes thru to build a map are much the same as Navteq, AND, Tomtom, MS, Delorme and several others go thru. The basics weren't conceived by Google, nor even more recent developments like on-line crowd-sourced error reporting. The Atlantic article made it sound as tho all other digital map-makers might as well throw in the towel now. Google has done a great job of map-making in a relatively short time, but very few of their tools are unique, original or unable to be matched by a truly dedicated competitor. 

• Reply 39 of 44
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    "[QUOTE]The internet search giant's mapping service has been refined for nearly a decade...[/QUOTE]
    Google maps debuted in 2005. 7+ years is hardly a decade. I'd say that's clear spin to make a sympathetic argument for Apple. Oh, poor Apple...Maps is days old and google's is nearly a [I]decade[/I] old...what were you all expecting? (Sarcasm)
  • Reply 40 of 44

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Google maps debuted in 2005. 7+ years is hardly a decade.

That might explain why the article says 'nearly'.