'Hundreds' line up as Australia kicks off worldwide iPhone 5 sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm trying… to… parse that logic. Is it the act of purchasing the device that then determines the size, or is it "the size cannot be determined until you own the device, which will tell you, either via physical comparison or an app"… 

It is my understanding that it grows upon purchase.

That is also why a stylus isn't included with this particular Samsung product.

• Reply 22 of 45

I'm just about to hit my 1000th post!

Although yet to contribute anything of value to humanity in general, I was wondering if this occasion is usually marked by the presentation of a cake or something?

• Reply 23 of 45

Because I really like cake.

Yee-har.

• Reply 24 of 45

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Because I really like cake!!!

Yeehar!

That's certainly an Apple-esque cake. 

We need an Apple in every industry to push things forward. If we had an Apple in confectionaries, they'd make desserts that had zero calories and twice the taste of the best, highest-caloric stuff available now…

• Reply 25 of 45
    gtr wrote: »
    Because I really like cake.

LL

Yee-har.

May you continue to add value on this board!

(Don't remind us again until you hit 10,000).
  • Reply 26 of 45

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

May you continue to add value on this board!

(Don't remind us again until you hit 10,000).

What do you want for your 10,000th? It's coming up fairly soon. A bigger cake?

• Reply 27 of 45

Quote:

"But… Maps sucks. No one wants an iPhone with iOS 6."

It does suck for people who are not living in certain countries listed on their web site. Unfortunately Google Maps for me in India, 100% better than Apple Maps, since India Map is underdeveloped. Hopefully Apple will make the improvements rapidly, since India may not be a BIG market for selling iPhones, but it is one of the major holiday destinations in the world.

• Reply 28 of 45

Lots of people lined up at Tokyo's Apple Store.

- - - - -

Is Osaka, over 115 iPhones were stolen from an AU shop.

• Reply 29 of 45
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

Quote:

Got mine... and Maps isn't so bad. In fact I feel that it will be more useful than that other one! Walked into a store after queuing for 1 hr 45 mins and got one of the last (un-preordered) phones in a big store. The white model is apparently very popular too, mine is 64 GB black.  Activations have slowed right down.

iOS 6 on my iP4 is drama free too.

All the best.

• Reply 30 of 45

:-)

hilarious, ain't it? Same story every release. Some people just don't get it. "Wake up!"
  • Reply 31 of 45
    macncheez wrote: »
    :-)
    hilarious, ain't it? Same story every release. Some people just don't get it. "Wake up!"

No one will ever be able to take a device seriously with a name like iPad!
  • Reply 32 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Still waiting, "Onboard with driver for delivery" since 7:40 am over seven hours ago.

Edit:-

Just showed up, asked the driver he delivered 50, there were 5,000 at the depot.

That's for one phone company in this area.

• Reply 33 of 45
    maccentric wrote: »
    No one will ever be able to take a device seriously with a name like iPad!

No kidding! I got my wife a 4 and two weeks later she said: "you know, I don't miss my BlackBerry at all! I just realized I didn't even think about it!"

Well done, Apple, thank you all in Cupertino.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

ID for those who what to buy the phone on contract. Copies of other bills to prove their address or their account number. And tickets, what happens is the stores often go down the line with little cards that guarantee a person the phone they want. You want a 32GB Black, you get an official 'ticket' that says that.  Then, once the store has run out of tickets they know they will be out of phones and they send the rest of the line home.

Did I miss anything?

Walked in with photographic ID (driver's license) and birthdate in memory, which is... er... ah... how did I get this phone?

(No one would forge my image, can tell you that!)

• Reply 35 of 45
    My gawd. Just came back from Garden City (Perth, Australia). The iPhone5 is pretty impressive. Apple is on autopilot but man is the ride real sweet. Now within 5km of the CBD getting about 15mbit up/down on LTE.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    dierunning wrote: »
    Went to our local shopping centre at 7:45am.... 50+ people lined up outside telstra shop.. 1 or 2 outside JB Hifi.. which is only literally 10metres around the corner...
    JB Handed out tickets and opened at 8am.
    10 minutes later.... walk past line @ telstra shop with Iphone5 in hand... while the line is getting bigger & bigger... 

The Telstra line is the manageable one. Apple Store line... was still going at 11am... But yeah good one with JB HiFi. I can't do the Apple Store lines nowadays. Too hardcore.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    kcartesius wrote: »
    Tickets, standing in line for more than a minute or so, carrying ID and documentation... To qualify? Being drilled by some drilled Apple storekeepers?

I cannot understand this, seriously...
    christophb wrote: »
    ID to buy a product. What are they thinking down under?

robm wrote: »
    It's common enough. If you're an existing customer who wanted to change/cross grade/alter a plan the sales staff will often request you bring your last account in.

LOL this is why the credit crunch was not that bad in Australia. The banks actually sometimes don't want your business.

In any case no ID required for outright purchases at Apple Store. Money talks, *** walks as they say.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    christophb wrote: »
    Was being ironical with a US bent. We not require ID to self govern.

Yeah, how's that going for ya?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Yep, that's how the tickets work. Better knowing that they have stock for what you're after, then waiting in a line, getting to the front of the queue and finding out that they don't have stock for what you've been waiting for.
    Yes, ID because it was under contract - I paid $0 upfront, so quite reasonable for them to know who they are going to get the money from later on. If I went to the Apple store, I could have paid full price (A$999) without ID, but then I'd still be paying virtually the same for the telco plan, so I might as well get the phone for free. For me it works out over $500 cheaper per phone over 2 years to get the phone on contract.

Don't waste your breath too much. It takes being in Australia and realising the amazing balance of order and freedom that gives us a quality of life I am willing to now die for.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    sasparilla wrote: »

Well, they might get lost on the way home - but they'll be happy.  :-)

:lol: