Video, pictures from iPhone 5 launch at Apple's Fifth Ave store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

According to MacRumors there is a scuffing issue with the black iPhone. If it becomes widespread I hope Apple gets on it right away. With the maps issue the last thing they need is users complaining and/or returning phones because they're scuffed.

Well, in fact no retailer in their right mind would let you return something just because it was scuffed.  Let's hope common sense prevails. 

• Reply 22 of 41

Quote:

...  photo.JPG

I don't see anything here that could be defined as a "scuff." 

• Reply 23 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by commoncents View Post

Seriously?  You're sitting around on an internet message board spewing hate toward people you don't know, but you're criticizing them for not being involved in productive activities?

Why aren't YOU working or spending time with your family?

You are being far more "hateful" here than the original poster was.  And your reading much more into his/her life than he/she was into that of the line waiters.  

• Reply 24 of 41
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Well, in fact no retailer in their right mind would let you return something just because it was scuffed.  Let's hope common sense prevails. 
    Well if I got a black iPhone 5 and it had marks on it right out of box it would be going right back to Apple as a return. I fully understand there might be some wear and tear over time but not right out of the box.

EDIT: some happy customers here with no issues. So it seems hit or miss.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1448832
  • Reply 25 of 41
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I believe that this is too much and doesn't make sense. i despise this kind of people. why not pre-order? why waiting for days for a phone? what about school, work or family?

Wow, you 'despise this kind of people'. Tell you what - they are my kind of people. Great atmosphere, great opportunity to really meet new people, like ones I met today. I might be despised but hopefully for more than standing in a queue lol!

Edit - and if it's good enough for the Woz, it's good enough for me!

• Reply 26 of 41
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

As much as I am a huge Apple fan I must say I completely agree.  I thought it was cool when the iPhone was first announced and this happened, but then that was literally a historic occasion. Every time it's happened since then I just shake my head.  

I wouldn't be caught dead in an iPhone line-up. I would find it shameful almost to be standing there like a first world idiot while life passes me by on the sidewalk.  Especially in New York.  It would be a constant reminder that every single person walking past you has somewhere to go and thus, more of a life than you have.  

It's not just the wait time either, it's the privation.  What kind of fool would sit on a sidewalk for three days peeing into a bottle or using some gross porta-potty, eating crap food from local food trucks and fast food joints, etc.?  I think one might have to spend the next three days in a hospital or health spa just to recover from all the bad food and lack of sleep.  Is your life really that dull that this is the only thing you have to do with your time?  

Gotta say I agree with this. I did it ONE time, for the 3GS (my first iPhone); never again. I waited in line for nearly three hours to pickup a phone at Crabtree Valley mall... A PHONE! Now I just pre-order every year. It's not worth my time and effort to stand around like a fool when I can have it delivered to my doorstop the same day and not have to worry about traffic, gas, packing the kid up and putting him in the car, etc.

Those Samsung commercials surely have it right about the Apple "line" hipsters image

• Reply 27 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by rattlhed View Post

Seriously, it's not a big deal.  It's just like going to a concert, football game, etc.  Half the fun is hanging out with the crowd and being part of an event.  I can play a band's CD any time I want, but a concert is an experience of sharing music with people of the same interest.  Football is on TV every Sunday, and personally I think watching the game at home is just fine, but when going to a live game, the excitement, the crowd and cheering, it's a great time.  Standing in line for a product that you could pre-order and get in a couple weeks isn't logical, but it's something to share with people who have a common interest in you.

I stood in line for 7 hours for the iPad 2.  I had a lot of fun and met a lot of really nice people, complete strangers, but we all had something in common and therefore made good conversation.

Enjoy life...you only live once.

Tisk tisk... you are giving us Nerds, geeks and dweebs a bad rep! /s

Seriously, your explaination is about the best... its the experience for those that want it.

• Reply 28 of 41
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Wow, you 'despise this kind of people'. Tell you what - they are my kind of people. Great atmosphere, great opportunity to really meet new people, like ones I met today. I might be despised but hopefully for more than standing in a queue lol!

I agree, 100%.
  • Reply 29 of 41

Quote:

Some people are noticing things right out of the box. They're not taking coins or keys and scratching the phone. This leads me to believe there might be a production issue with the first batch of black phones. Those with white phones don't appear to have any issues.

Here's an example:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1445493&page=59

photo.JPG

With some of these photos it's difficult to tell because people are photographing them right out of the box and not wiping off the dust particles first.

Ive read some reviewers mention this.  I work in aerospace(metals et el) and thought about that occurring when I first saw the phone. One would hope that Apple put it through a 'wear' test. A coating is a coating(generic, can mean anodized) and can wear. Even if anodized, its the first layer of atoms on the metal. The color is not through out the metal. It will be subject to wear. The white phones, best I can tell, have a no or a clear metal coating.

• Reply 30 of 41

"A throng of people gathered outside Apple's iconic glass cube storefront on Fifth Avenue on Friday for the launch of the iPhone 5 in New York City."

Wait, don't they know iphone 5 is a failure. Maps is a failure(few hiccups but is ... OK). Its only a 4S and Apple is Doomed. /s

BTW, tried the panoramic feature... killer(or 'ill' in todays vernacular). Well, not as good as a stand alone computer app stiching photos together with tons of processing power(stiching on my new MBP can take a minute or so and the photos are perfect) but for a stand alone while you scan app, its pretty good .

Havent figured out passport yet. How does one get coupons etc?

• Reply 31 of 41
    BTW, Bieber was at 5th ave, too. He was in the celebrity room.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

As much as I am a huge Apple fan I must say I completely agree.  I thought it was cool when the iPhone was first announced and this happened, but then that was literally a historic occasion. Every time it's happened since then I just shake my head.  

I wouldn't be caught dead in an iPhone line-up. I would find it shameful almost to be standing there like a first world idiot while life passes me by on the sidewalk.  Especially in New York.  It would be a constant reminder that every single person walking past you has somewhere to go and thus, more of a life than you have.  

It's not just the wait time either, it's the privation.  What kind of fool would sit on a sidewalk for three days peeing into a bottle or using some gross porta-potty, eating crap food from local food trucks and fast food joints, etc.?  I think one might have to spend the next three days in a hospital or health spa just to recover from all the bad food and lack of sleep.  Is your life really that dull that this is the only thing you have to do with your time?  

Lighten up. People have their own rational for being there. It's their life. You don't need to be so judgmental. You don't even know these people. We get it, it is not something you want to do.

Perhaps they are working in teams. The team members go home eat shower and sleep, then they switch. More than likely you could sell your top 10 spot to some rich guy for $1000 so think of them as entrepreneurs. Others who show up an hour or so early might think of it as a tailgate party.

• Reply 33 of 41
    gazoobee wrote: »
    You are being far more "hateful" here than the original poster was.  And your reading much more into his/her life than he/she was into that of the line waiters.  

He doesn't use the word "despite". ;)
  • Reply 34 of 41

Ah, say what you will, but just once, I'd love to stand in line at the NY store, just for the experience.  It's NOT just about getting the phone, these people probably could have pre-ordered, too. It's the experience.  Life is about EXPERIENCES.  Live a little, dude. Don't hate because someone is having fun.

• Reply 35 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I did this once for the experience of it. Not a fun time in the Texas heat. Arrived a few hours before the store opened and was still about the 200th in line. Will never do that again.

Just pre-ordered mine. It should be here this morning (out for delivery).

Rumpy, I stood in line for the 3GS. But, really, I went to the Shops at Willow Bend. Inside. Airconditioned. No rain. Five hours. Bunch of nice folks. Would I do it again? Not really.

• Reply 36 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Lighten up. People have their own rational for being there. It's their life. You don't need to be so judgmental. You don't even know these people. We get it, it is not something you want to do.

Perhaps they are working in teams. The team members go home eat shower and sleep, then they switch. More than likely you could sell your top 10 spot to some rich guy for $1000 so think of them as entrepreneurs. Others who show up an hour or so early might think of it as a tailgate party.

I think that what he means is (he can correct me if I'm wrong), they're being consumer whores who buy into Apple's game. Yes, Apple is the top brand around. Yes, Apple products command respect. However, in the end, we're still talking about a mass-produced product that will be sold in the millions in the matter of a few hours/days. This isn't some specialized, personalized device. This isn't something that's one of a kind or in any way unique. It's a consumer product. It's no different than a MacBook or a Printer or a TV or a microwave for that matter in the grand scheme of things.

The only thing that's different about the iPhone is what Apple (and hence the people that are rabid about iPhone) project on the device itself. It's as if the device has been personified into human terms. It's not a person, it's not a sentient being. It's a phone.

But that's just my opinionGazoobee is entitled to his opinion, and you're entitled to yours. We're all different and we all look at things differently. What you may find strange, I may find appealing. That's what this forum is for.

At least Gazoobee didn't just blurt out an opinion and not expand upon it. He at least provided some elaboration as to why he felt the way he did.

• Reply 37 of 41
    37 posts and line bashers haven't used the word "Sheeple" yet? I hear that cry every year.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The only thing that's different about the iPhone is what Apple (and hence the people that are rabid about iPhone) project on the device itself. It's as if the device has been personified into human terms. It's not a person, it's not a sentient being. It's a phone.

I wore my "I ? code" t-shirt to work today, being dress down Friday and all, and I'm not even getting my iPhone for another 7 days because of all the pre-orders ahead of mine. Nobody "needs" an iPhone but they are fun.

• Reply 39 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wore my "I ? code" t-shirt to work today, being dress down Friday and all, and I'm not even getting my iPhone for another 7 days because of all the pre-orders ahead of mine. Nobody "needs" an iPhone but they are fun.

Oh, they are indeed fun. Just not fun enough for me to waste a day of work for something that I can have delivered to my doorstep for free ;-)

My wife's iPhone 5 will be here this afternoon. My iPhone 5, like yours, will be delivered on Sept 27... just got the email this morning from Apple as it left China.

• Reply 40 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Strange, they look alot happier than the depressed, emo, lethargic people waiting in line in Samsungs ads. To think, all it would have taken is someone to walk by with  GS3 to disperse them all.