Reminder: iPhone 5 buyers have 30 days to purchase AppleCare+ at an Apple retail store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As a reminder to customers, those who buy Apple's new iPhone 5 have a 30-day window in which they can add AppleCare+ coverage by visiting an Apple Store.

Those who buy an iPhone 5 direct from Apple can purchase AppleCare+ coverage at the same time. But for those who didn't opt for AppleCare+ with their purchase, or who bought through a carrier partner like AT&T, Verizon or Sprint, they must visit an Apple Store to purchase.

Customers are required to visit an Apple retail location in person to allow an employee to inspect their device before AppleCare+ coverage can be provided. The $99 AppleCare+ plan for iPhone was first launched by Apple a year ago.

Unboxed

With AppleCare+, an iPhone's repair coverage and technical support is extended two years from the original purchase date. Customers also get coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, at an additional cost of $49 per incident.

Apple promises that replacement equipment if an iPhone is broken "may be new or equivalent to new in both perfromance and reliability."

AppleCare+ also includes standard AppleCare features like software troubleshooting and telephone-based technical support. Customers with repair needs have the option for mail-in or carry-in repairs, along with an express replacement service.

Those upgrading to the iPhone 5 can also check out AppleInsider's breakdown of trade-in offers for previous-generation iPhones. A number of online providers offer cash in return for a used iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, or iPhone 4S, making the cost of the new iPhone 5 with AppleCare+ easier to afford.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

Still sort of wish the black model had the option of the bare aluminum back of the white, but darn if that's not gorgeous anyway.

Oh, right, AppleCare. Never met anyone who bought it and regretted it, even if they didn't have to use it.

• Reply 2 of 19
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

AppleCare+ still not available in the UK I see...

• Reply 3 of 19
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I'm not really familiar with Apple Care + ... Is this in addition to traditional Apple Care which you can ad withing the original 1 year warranty, or in place of?
    Still sort of wish the black model had the option of the bare aluminum back of the white, but darn if that's not gorgeous anyway.

Totally agree. Would love silver/black. The only design complaint I have is that the glass panels on the back aren't the same thickness as the top and bottom bevels on the front. I just wish there was more symmetry. Otherwise, gorgeous.
  • Reply 4 of 19

I paid full price for my Verizon 32GB 5 this morning.. and went ahead and got AppleCare+.  

Sucked that these companies are absolutely raping in prices.. and for the first time in my life I've paid pretty much $900 for a fukking cellphone!! ($749phone+$99AC+48tax), but I'm already starting to see/reap some of the benefits:

1) Mailing my old Verizon 32GB 4S off to Amazon today, who are giving me $455 in store credit.

2) AppleCare+ is $99.. but you are covered for 2 years against drops, incidental and water damage.  Everything but lost/theft is covered.

3) Saving $10 a month as a drop my Verizon based Aceserion Smartphone Insurance Coverage.  Thats $240 savings over 2 years.

4) Should be able to unlock the phone for international use.  Hoping for domestic too.

So basically I have a new unlocked iPhone5, with better insurance, kept my unlimited data plan, on America's largest 4G/LTE carrier, am still eligible for discount upgrade in June and my 2 yr contract with Verizon expires a year from now.

Not as bad as it originally seemed.. for a net total upgrade price of $200 bucks (once you consider the Amazon credit + insurance savings).

• Reply 5 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I'm not really familiar with Apple Care + ... Is this in addition to traditional Apple Care which you can ad withing the original 1 year warranty, or in place of?

Totally agree. Would love silver/black. The only design complaint I have is that the glass panels on the back aren't the same thickness as the top and bottom bevels on the front. I just wish there was more symmetry. Otherwise, gorgeous.

Its basically better coverage.  It covers drops, spills and screen breakage.

Those things were technically not covered under Apple care.  Also the deductible for a new phone is now $49 with AC+, instead of $99 that was with AC.

• Reply 6 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I paid full price for my Verizon 32GB 5 this morning.. and went ahead and got AppleCare+.  

Sucked that these companies are absolutely raping in prices.. and for the first time in my life I've paid pretty much $900 for a fukking cellphone!! ($749phone+$99AC+48tax), but I'm already starting to see/reap some of the benefits:

1) Mailing my old Verizon 32GB 4S off to Amazon today, who are giving me $455 in store credit.

2) AppleCare+ is $99.. but you are covered for 2 years against drops, incidental and water damage.  Everything but lost/theft is covered.

3) Saving $10 a month as a drop my Verizon based Aceserion Smartphone Insurance Coverage.  Thats $240 savings over 2 years.

So basically I have a new phone, with better insurance, kept my unlimited data plan, on America's largest 4G/LTE carrier, am still eligible for discount upgrade in June and my 2 yr contract with Verizon expires a year from now.

Not as bad as it originally seemed.. for a net total upgrade price of $200 bucks (once you consider the Amazon credit + insurance savings).

Is there a reason you paid full price and didn't get a subsidized or partially subsidized (early upgrade) price?

• Reply 7 of 19
    Daekwan wrote: »

4) Should be able to unlock the phone for international use.  Hoping for domestic too.

So basically I have a new unlocked iPhone5, with better insurance, kept my unlimited data plan, on America's largest 4G/LTE carrier, am still eligible for discount upgrade in June and my 2 yr contract with Verizon expires a year from now.

And if you're a heavy data user you also save on the overage.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    pendergast wrote: »
    Is there a reason you paid full price and didn't get a subsidized or partially subsidized (early upgrade) price?

Going with "Keep the unlimited plan for $1000, Alex".
  • Reply 9 of 19
    pendergast wrote: »

To keep the unlimited data plan. Some of us don't have access to wifi for much of the day.
  • Reply 10 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Holy Shit!  The Verizon iPhone5 is unlocked for both international & domestic!!!   Definitely worth the $$$!!!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3369702/verizon-iphone-5-gsm-unlocked

New owners of the Verizon iPhone 5 are being met with an unexpected but welcome surprise today: the device comes fully unlocked out of the box. That will come as great news for customers that travel overseas and it even allows you to insert an AT&T nano-SIM if the desire strikes you. We've been able to confirm that the Verizon iPhone 5 is fully compatible with AT&T's 3G network — though differing LTE bands will prevent you from achieving high-speed connectivity. You should also be able to hop on T-Mobile's 3G network in areas where the carrier has refarmed its spectrum, though we've yet to test this firsthand. 

• Reply 11 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

To keep the unlimited data plan. Some of us don't have access to wifi for much of the day.

This.

I'm fortunate, both my wife and I have wifi at work.  Kid has it at school and after school care.  If not for this, I'd have had to suck it up and pay to keep my unlimited plan, too.

On subject, I didn't buy AppleCare but I probably will.  I'm really wishing I'd bought it on my iPad2, youngest kid dropped it a few weeks ago and guess what, glass isn't as hard as concrete.  :-/

• Reply 12 of 19

You are now also able to call Applecare and purchase the Applecare+ over the phone within the first 30 days after answering some questions.

• Reply 13 of 19

You are now also able to call Applecare and purchase the Applecare+ over the phone within the first 30 days after answering some questions.

• Reply 14 of 19

Anybody recommend other warranty coverage options besides AppleCare +? Are there better choices?

• Reply 15 of 19
    I was able to add AppleCare to my 5 yesterday that I bought at AT
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I'm really in a toss up on how to actually get AppleCare +. I cannot order online sine my bill goes to a PO Box so no direct ordering from Apple. The nearest Apple Store is two hours away. I called ahead to find out they're completely sold old. (Are other locations sold out?) I haven't heard any mention of this except for carrier stores. How can I acquire AppleCare+ without driving two hours? Or is that the only option?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I'm really in a toss up on how to actually get AppleCare +. I cannot order online sine my bill goes to a PO Box so no direct ordering from Apple. The nearest Apple Store is two hours away. I called ahead to find out they're completely sold old. (Are other locations sold out?) I haven't heard any mention of this except for carrier stores. How can I acquire AppleCare+ without driving two hours? Or is that the only option?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I am going with Squaretrade, their 2 year warranty is $99 (on sale now) and you get unlimited drops/water damage for the same $49 deductible per incident. Also have a 3 year plan for $129 (for when I pass off this phone to my kid).

Anyone have experience using them?
  • Reply 19 of 19

Just tried to transfer AppleCare+ from my 4S to my 5, but wasn't able... however, they do refund the pro-rated amount, so basically a little over half the original $99 since I had the 4S since its release 11 months ago. Afterwards I just bought a new AppleCare+ plan for the 5.