Verizon iPhone 5 reportedly ships unlocked for GSM networks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27

Thats good. Now-is the reverse true. Use an ATT phone on the Verizon network to take advantage of the better LTE coverage?

• Reply 22 of 27
    duoduo Posts: 26member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Saybolt View Post

Thats good. Now-is the reverse true. Use an ATT phone on the Verizon network to take advantage of the better LTE coverage?

Negative.

GSM iPhone 5 (model A1428) utilizes LTE bands 4 (1700/2100 MHz) and 17 (700 MHz in the B Block). Although the Verizon iPhone 5 (model A1429) also supports the 700 MHz spectrum (LTE Band 13), it is in the C Block.

700 MHz (b):

Downlink in the 734-746 MHz spectrum with a band width of 12 MHz

Uplink in the 704-716 MHz spectrum

700 MHz (c):

Downlink in the 746-756 MHz spectrum with a band width of 10 MHz

Uplink in the 777-787 MHz spectrum

So although both iPhone models support LTE in the 700 MHz spectrum, the bands do not overlap. Hence their inability to support LTE in each other's network. You will, however, get HSPA+ and DC-HSPA speeds in areas where T-Mobile has re-farmed their network. So for those who were/are holding out for the unlocked iPhones, the Verizon iPhone 5 has just become a very attractive proposition considering the number of LTE bands it supports.

I was personally waiting for unlocked iPhones to make their appearance but since it looks like Verizon is legally obliged to sell fully unlocked iPhones as a condition for their license to operate in the C Block, then regardless of which iPhone model Apple does decide to sell as unlocked this is still the best choice by far. 

• Reply 23 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

My friend just came back from Paris and used a full-sized SIMM cut down for a verizon Motorola Razr running ice cream sandwich. The guy at the kiosk cut it down for it and it worked like a charm. Don't see this as an issue ... I mean really, android can do something iOS can't?

This works for Micro Sim's, but the new iPhone uses Nano Sims, which is also thinner. Therefore a simple cut will not work anymore. You will have to sand it down as well to reduce the thickness.

Edit: Here is an article talking about it.

http://asia.cnet.com/hacked-iphone-5-nano-sim-thickness-doesnt-matter-62218820.htm

• Reply 24 of 27

'...with a simple GSM micro SIM card modification.'... THIS IS A LIE.

• Reply 25 of 27

Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

'...with a simple GSM micro SIM card modification.'... THIS IS A LIE.

Right, you also have to pay for the service.

• Reply 26 of 27
    mstone wrote: »
    Why does this law only apply to Verizon? Can AT&T lock their handsets?

Verizon won the most coveted frequencies for their LTE network and in doing so had to agree to terms like that. They also cannot block software which allow many with LTE devices to wireless tether.
  • Reply 27 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Too bad the place I am going to visit doesn't have a nano-sim.  No, I'm not going to be messing with a Claro or Movistar micro-sim and cut it to fit.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

My friend just came back from Paris and used a full-sized SIMM cut down for a verizon Motorola Razr running ice cream sandwich. The guy at the kiosk cut it down for it and it worked like a charm. Don't see this as an issue ... I mean really, android can do something iOS can't?

Think before you comment. If you have to modify a SIMM to fit any phone it is a hardware issue and with that being the case it is not an Android or iOS issue to start with. If you are trying to troll you need better bait.