YouTube will serve content to legacy iOS app indefinitely

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

However, if you visit the exact same video on a Mac, it refuses to play the video in HTML5, offering only the option of Flash, forcing you to install and adopt it.

You have a lot to learn about giving Adobe and Google the ol' heave-ho.

AdBlock for the ads on every page, Click2Flash to push a QuickTime H.264 version of the video instead of both the Flash or HTML5 versions of Google's. That way they can NEVER serve you up ads before or during the video. 

• Reply 22 of 25
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Have you actually initiated HTML5 at YouTube by going to Just asking ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Educate yourself, you can enable HTML5 easily for all videos:

I had already enabled HTML5 on YouTube previously. Unfortunately, there are a few other sites out there that still require Flash as well (like this one, if you want to upload images) so I'm stuck with it for now.

I may test some of the alternatives mentioned and see how things go.

Cheers!

• Reply 23 of 25
    snax007 has it right... the only app is for the phone, nothing for an iPad. The phone app runs in a tiny window in the middle of the screen... even though you can pixel double it, you only get the a screen real estate of the phone. I read a story about someone whose wife had a TON of "favorites" before ios6... all the work and effort that went into her getting to that stage was instantly wiped out when they did the 6 "update," mostly likely thinking that there favorites would be preserved.

Between that and the abomination of Maps, I'm also sticking to ios5 for the time being. Besides, Passport has been specifically disabled from running on any iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post

snax007 has it right... the only app is for the phone, nothing for an iPad. The phone app runs in a tiny window in the middle of the screen... even though you can pixel double it, you only get the a screen real estate of the phone. I read a story about someone whose wife had a TON of "favorites" before ios6... all the work and effort that went into her getting to that stage was instantly wiped out when they did the 6 "update," mostly likely thinking that there favorites would be preserved.

Between that and the abomination of Maps, I'm also sticking to ios5 for the time being. Besides, Passport has been specifically disabled from running on any iPad.

There is a new unofficial YouTube app named Jasmine designed for the iPad (actually is a universal app for iPad and iPhone) that looks great and will stream both video and audio to an AppleTV via AirPlay, where the official Google YouTube app only streams audio.  Requires iOS 6, though.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jasmine-youtube-client/id554937050?mt=8

• Reply 25 of 25
    So there are ads on the standalone version? If so, that sucks.....