iPhone 5 launch sales held back by limited supply

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceage View Post

The joke about the stock price is that just days before the announcement, the analysts weren't counting on any iPhone5 sales in the quarter, and now suddenly 5M in the first weekend is a disappointment??? What a sad and pathetic group. Not to mention that by the end of the week, including the additional markets coming online, there will likely be 10M units iP5 sold for the quarter. These so called "experts" heads are spinning like Linda Blair in the Exorcist!!!

The thing is the stock price was already reflecting sales that these experts predicted for the quarter.  If it doesn't match those expectations, the stock value will fall.  The analysts exist to try and determine if buying a stock is a good deal right now, and if they anticipate higher sales, they buy, and when they adjust sales downward, they sell stocks.  It's not that complicated.  Also remember that you're taking a $10 shift as if it's a large change... When a stock is valued at $700, it really isn't.  It's barely a change in 1% of the stocks value.  Stocks routinely go up and down, and they do so to the analysts drums.  The analysts don't care if the iphone is the hottest thing ever, if they estimated larger sales than occurred, it's likely that the stock will fall in value.  They're not here to stroke the ego of apple fans, but rather to help people make informed decisions when buying stocks.  I don't know why this is big news around here anyhow, but I don't think it comes as a surprise to anyone.  Everyone expected apple to sell a record number of iphones with the release of the 5, and many expected much higher sales than with the 4s.  The stock value anticipated this, and if sales don't reach those expectations, people sell.  Is it the end of Apple? Hardly, they're still having record sale.  Hell, their sales could drop by 50%, and they'd still be a hugely valuable company.  They just wouldn't be the pinnacle of growth and get rich buying stock company they tend to be now.

Phil

• Reply 22 of 40
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I was under the assumption that Apple would sell around 10 Million before the end of the month, which is still a week away. It seems as though they will easily hit 10 Million before the end of the month, and if supplies continue, maybe they'll sell 50 Million during the next quarter for a total of 10 Million units.
  • Reply 23 of 40

My friends that pre-ordered with Verizon received their phones last Friday.  My friends that pre-ordered with AT&T are still waiting.

• Reply 24 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

5+ million in 1 weekend

Quote:

Disappointment

Does not compute. 

• Reply 25 of 40
    "As a result, he said he remains comfortable with his projection of 49 million iPhone sales in the holiday shopping period."

Ahhh, but come the Jan quarter, Apple will be doomed, doomed I say, because the demand has dropped of.... Why Apple should just sell more and more each month.... f o r e v e r ............... LOL

Just a weird thought about crazy ANALysts.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Even pundits like Jim Cramer on CNBC are poo-pooing this "disappointment" and wondering just where these "whisper numbers" of 10 million came from anyway.

True except for your first word... 'even'.

Cramer is a first class AAPL bull.

• Reply 27 of 40

Artificially constrained!

• Reply 28 of 40
    harbinger wrote: »
    The notion that 5M units would be considered "a miss" is absurd. Instead of feigning disappointment in a company (such as Apple in this instance), analysts should admit "we were wrong because our projections were pulled out of our butts"

Yep. Apple doesn't warehouse for weeks as it would result in dead out of the box phones from drained batteries, security risks etc. add to this that quik release dates reduce reseller opportunities and of course supplies will be limited.

But having sold 5-7 million units in three days is far from a failure. Especially when that is possibly just Apples numbers. We might still need to add in the carriers, Best Buy etc.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    While I don't think the people in charge within Apple planned on this, but often there are unintended consequences for things (even for success) and there is a good chance that Apple has created a beast that they can no longer control as well as they would like.

This isn't HP who made 5k units then shut down production unable to start back up for three months. Apple is already making more and people have proven they will wait.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    I'd imagine that psychologically there's a small effect there, but are those even workers on the Apple lines?

According to some reports, no. Some even say that no Apple products are made at that particular plant
  • Reply 31 of 40

The thing is, the $700 AAPL stock price alreday baked in some high expectations, so it's normal to view this announcement as 'letdown'.

Either way, AAPL is going to be fine, at least before some new trends are coming out anyway.

• Reply 32 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ha! It took Apple nearly two years to sell one million iPods, but it took them one weekend to sell around 5 million iPhone 5's. So Apple/Foxconn can't keep up? I guess they need to bus in some more poor Chinese slave-workers to fill demand than dispose of them once they get caught up on the orders. There is always a dark side to when an empire is being built , and make no mistake Apple's huge success (maybe the first trillion dollar corporation) of making wonderfully designed products in China has a dark side that goes with it. For every beautiful Egyptian pyramid or Great Wall of China there is a long human history of the poor and enslaved being used to fulfill the dreams and desires of the rich and the privileged.
    While I don't think the people in charge within Apple planned on this, but often there are unintended consequences for things (even for success) and there is a good chance that Apple has created a beast that they can no longer control as well as they would like.

You are determined to exploit any story on Apple's manufacturing to promote your simplistic morality play about slavery. You should re-read your Marshall McLuhan, to try to get the bigger story about uneven development in the Global Village.

The reason that Asia became the electronics manufacturing center for the world, the reason that the West lost such production 50 YEARS AGO, is that the phonetic alphabet combined with the printing press produced the linear Western mind, while ideographic writing as used in Asia produced the holistic mind needed for organizing electronic and other complicated forms of production.

Once Sony, Matsushita, etc., got in the game, transistor radio, tape recorder, television, video camera manufacturing all became the hegemony of Asia. No combination of effort could possibly shift electronics manufacturing to the West, unless it could be organized by Asian companies, like Foxconn is doing in Brazil—with assembly only, notice, not really manufacturing.

But these ideas are probably too big for the average bleeding-heart Mike Daisey-ish sentimentalist. Just deal with the idea that Foxconn workers are rising above their previous level of rural impoverishment, just like American factory workers were on the rise 100 years ago. The shaping by your tools reflected in your McLuhan signature quote should apply to you and all other Westerners: as they use the tools of global knowledge, they should become more global in intellectual outlook. Westerners should therefore become hegemonic in global communications software.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    ^--- Woah, umrk_lab -- did you just try to compare this to a Windows phone launch and supply chain? Has any or better yet... will any Windows phone ever sell 5 million phones... let alone 5 million phones in 3 days?
  • Reply 34 of 40

I purchased 10 more shares this morning. I hope it doesn't go down to $650 before bottoming out.

• Reply 35 of 40

Interesting. My local Best Buy, closest AT&T location, and corporate Apple store all had stock yesterday when I went around trying to find a damn lighting USB cable, of which supply is truly limited. Would be nice to charge my phone in my car and at the office without having to carry a cable around with me between home and office every day.

• Reply 36 of 40
    jungmark wrote: »

you make it sound like Apple is the only company using China factories. The fact is, this "slave" labor is better than what the rural chinese have in terms of salary, benefits, etc.

They are certainly not the only corporation taking advantage of poor slave-like workers, but they are the wealthiest and the most able to right this wrong if they really wanted too.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    flaneur wrote: »
    You are determined to exploit any story on Apple's manufacturing to promote your simplistic morality play about slavery. You should re-read your Marshall McLuhan, to try to get the bigger story about uneven development in the Global Village.

I can guarantee I'm significantly well read on the works and philosophy of Marshall McLuhan. In fact he believed that electronic technology was retribalizing western civilization and making them less intellectual. He spoke often about electronic video-centric media not because he thought it was a good thing, but because he thought it was having an untold negative influence on the way we think.
  • Reply 38 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenn Wagenheim View Post

^--- Woah, umrk_lab -- did you just try to compare this to a Windows phone launch and supply chain? Has any or better yet... will any Windows phone ever sell 5 million phones... let alone 5 million phones in 3 days?

Consider this : NOT A SINGLE person can complain about a late delivery concerning an order for the newly announced Nokia Lumia 920 (announced in September).

This proves, without the shadow of any doubt, that the supply chain for this smartphone just makes the Apple one look ridiculous (and I am looking forward to see the ad Nokia will surely issue on this).

/s**2

• Reply 39 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I can guarantee I'm significantly well read on the works and philosophy of Marshall McLuhan. In fact he believed that electronic technology was retribalizing western civilization and making them less intellectual. He spoke often about electronic video-centric media not because he thought it was a good thing, but because he thought it was having an untold negative influence on the way we think.

And I can guarantee you are well mis-read on his works. The first "lesson," as he says over and over again in The Gutenberg Galaxy, is that judging one media effect better than another is a serious error. How can you say that an oral culture is better than a visual?

Yes, the world is retribalizing (temporarily) because of electronic technology, but people are not getting "less intellectual," they are getting less literary as print is surpassed as the reigning medium.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Even pundits like Jim Cramer on CNBC are poo-pooing this "disappointment" and wondering just where these "whisper numbers" of 10 million came from anyway.

The 4S had 1m preorders and opening weekend sales of 4m. With 2m preorders, it's easy to assume they had doubled capacity so 8m or more. When you are guessing and dreaming, you can pick whatever numbers you like.

Apple's best quarter this year was 37m iPhones so 410k/day.
    The event was on the 12th, it is now the 24th so with the same capacity that gives them 4.9m in 12 days.

If this is the case, it'll be 7-8m in the 1st week. If they manage over 9m in the 1st week then they will be on track for the 50m unit quarter (total iPhones).