Apple attempt to trademark Music app icon trumped by older MySpace property

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152892/apple-attempt-to-trademark-music-app-icon-trumped-by-older-myspace-property#post_2198388"]Who in the hell uses MySpace anymore? That brand is worthless today, and Apple should offer them $10.00 for the trademark. That's 10 dollars more than it's worth.

I'm not on MySpace or Facebook, but I wouldn't mind if Facebook eventually follows in MySpace's footsteps.

Into obscurity or allowing people to pimp out their pages with glittery crap?
  • Reply 22 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who in the hell uses MySpace anymore? That brand is worthless today, and Apple should offer them $10.00 for the trademark. That's 10 dollars more than it's worth.

So by your logic the mark is only worth $10 to Apple too then right? Good going.

• Reply 23 of 41
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

If Apple doesn't get this overturned, my guess is that their next move is to pay off MySpace to buy their trademark. It does seem pretty odd, though. The two logos don't look anything alike.

Are you joking? Those two icons don't look any different than a Samsung and Apple phone. Orange with a music note; Same degree of similarity IMHO.

• Reply 24 of 41
    rot'napple wrote: »
    "The U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, saying consumers may confuse the image with a similar design owned by MySpace."

Wasn't that a similar premise Apple made to the following businesses and their apple logos?

'What's good for the goose...'

I was unaware that the US Trademark Board had the ability of trademark control over companies that are not based/operating in the US?
  • Reply 25 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jfanning wrote: »
    I was unaware that the US Trademark Board had the ability of trademark control over companies that are not based/operating in the US?

They have control over trademarks that are registered in the US and products that are sold in the US.

So what is confusing you?
  • Reply 26 of 41
    jragosta wrote: »
    They have control over trademarks that are registered in the US and products that are sold in the US.
    So what is confusing you?

Your ability to read for starters.

I replied to "Rot'nApple", who posted to four trademark articles that all referenced companies that operate outside the US, and wanted a similar thing to happen with them, and since they operate outside the US, how can the US trademark organisation provide a similar result when they have no control over them? So what is confusing you?
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Huh, MySpace still exist?
  • Reply 28 of 41
    So just buy MySpace...
    It's like 200 mil.
    Turn it into iSpace and let it be the next Ping (hahaha...)
    Ouch! Too soon! Too soon!
  • Reply 29 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Your ability to read for starters.

I replied to "Rot'nApple", who posted to four trademark articles that all referenced companies that operate outside the US, and wanted a similar thing to happen with them, and since they operate outside the US, how can the US trademark organisation provide a similar result when they have no control over them? So what is confusing you?

I really wouldn't comment on anyone else's ability to read when yours isn't looking so sharp either. The OP was pointing out the BS hypocrisy that exists in these forums. The fact that it's okay for Apple to do something but if another company turns around and does the same thing it's wrong, evil, etc. Whether or not those trademark cases are inside the US or not is completely beside the point.

• Reply 30 of 41
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

yeah, i'll confuse it. what the hell is 'myspace' anyway? simple fix. 

• Reply 31 of 41
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    caliminius wrote: »
    I really wouldn't comment on anyone else's ability to read when yours isn't looking so sharp either. The OP was pointing out the BS hypocrisy that exists in these forums. The fact that it's okay for Apple to do something but if another company turns around and does the same thing it's wrong, evil, etc. Whether or not those trademark cases are inside the US or not is completely beside the point.

Actually since different countries have different laws it is very much the point, you cannot demand a similar result for anything when you are involving different justice systems, to even think so is rather naive.
  • Reply 32 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They each use a two eighth notes beamed together and use an orange background. There are plenty of other notes and colors to use. Even if it's coincidental, it MySpace trademarked that logo appropriately then I'd think Apple would be in violation.

Now I think the double eighth note might predate MySpace by several years with iTunes back on System 9, but I'd have to check to be sure. But why orange when they split off iTunes Music and Videos? Overall don't care about the color but I can't say I like it.

They could make it a pair of dotted quarter notes beamed together and that would be different :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple has a more serious issue to worry about than the icon of the music app. They need to fix the music app itself, because some key features have been removed and it is now worse than it was before.

I can't delete an individual song anymore? That's devolution, not evolution. So, if I want to get rid of something, I have to delete the entire library? Wow, what a great solution.

WTF are you talking about? I delete individual songs all the time.  You make no sense here.

• Reply 33 of 41

Good.  Let's hope they scrap this awful icon.  Everytime I see it it makes me want to vomit, they should really fire the intern that designed it.  It's nothing like Apple's other icons and doesn't fit at all.  Any child could have made this - select "clouds" texture, select awful orange colour.  Add note.  It looks completely unfinished.  Awful.

• Reply 34 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

If Apple doesn't get this overturned, my guess is that their next move is to pay off MySpace to buy their trademark. It does seem pretty odd, though. The two logos don't look anything alike.

They look more than enough alike to cause confusion. Apple will simply need to change this.

• Reply 35 of 41

Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

Good.  Let's hope they scrap this awful icon.  Everytime I see it it makes me want to vomit, they should really fire the intern that designed it.  It's nothing like Apple's other icons and doesn't fit at all.  Any child could have made this - select "clouds" texture, select awful orange colour.  Add note.  It looks completely unfinished.  Awful.

So a bunch of hate talk about how generically "bad" something is, filled with assumptions based on no information whatsoever passed off as objective fact, and offering no means of improvement himself. 

Standard troll post, yep.

• Reply 36 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

WTF are you talking about? I delete individual songs all the time.  You make no sense here.

Before, I would just swipe to the right and a delete button showed up next to the song which you could press if you wanted to delete a song.

Under iO6 in the music app, nothing happens when I swipe to the right next to a song.

So if you're still able to delete a song like you claim, then I'm curious as to how you do it?

• Reply 37 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They each use a two eighth notes beamed together and use an orange background. There are plenty of other notes and colors to use. Even if it's coincidental, it MySpace trademarked that logo appropriately then I'd think Apple would be in violation.

Now I think the double eighth note might predate MySpace by several years with iTunes back on System 9, but I'd have to check to be sure. But why orange when they split off iTunes Music and Videos? Overall don't care about the color but I can't say I like it.

Apple would not be "in violation."  They simply had their trademark app denied because it was deemed substantially similar to the MySpace icon.  I happen to disagree on that point, but that's what was decided.  Apple is free to keep using the icon as long as MySpace doesn't try to sue them for infringement.  Speaking of which, they'd have a much higher burden to carry there.  They'd have to prove that consumers could confuse the Apple mark with MySpace's/iLike's brand, and show financial damages as a result.  Good luck with that.  

• Reply 38 of 41

Oh ...the irony.

• Reply 39 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I should also point out that I subscribe to iTunes Match.

iOS6 is a massive downgrade for iTunes Match users. If they don't make it right, then I obviously won't bother to subscribe next year.

• Reply 40 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The difference is that the Apple version is an ascending scale where as MySpace's version is descending which ironically is somewhat emblematic of their relative popularity.