How Google was "skyhooked" by Apple's new iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by ernysp76 View Post

I think you'll find that all other commentators are actually saying that it is Apple that is waiting for Google and that Google has the upper hand here.

Okay, why? And why? 

I think, that the acceleration of iOS 6 maps availability, and simultaneous discontinuance of iOS 5 maps has put Google at a disadvantage:

1. they no-longer get income from maps on iOS 6

2. they no-longer can harvest data from iOS 6 map requests to be used for ads, tracking and maintenance of the Google Maps database

3. they lost a position of strength in negotiating power with Apple

So... rather than going to Google, with hat in hand, to negotiate for advanced map features for iOS that are already available in Android (Apple's major iOS competitor) -- Apple no longer has any need to negotiate with Google over maps... at all!

Further, Apple has the choice to: 1) disallow any follow on apps (Earth, Maps, etc.) as duplicating integrated system function... or  2) allow them as, by definition not integrated, they will be inferior, late, out-of-date, difficult-to-use -- and, likely, founder of their own accord!

Brilliant move Tim!  This was, definitely the right decision!

The implementation (of the decision) has some issues -- but they will be much easier to resolve than to continue dancing with an 800-lb [map] gorilla.

Stated simply:  "Google... Piss Off!"

• Reply 42 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufwork View Post

Ditto.  It's painful how quickly you can tell Dilger wrote the articles he's written here, and I don't mean that in a good way.  A little too fanboy-ish, often with spotty logic, and almost always with at least two healthy digressions that are barely worth skimming over.

The only interesting tidbit here is that losing iPhone users could put a kink in Google's ability to provide live traffic data, but even that's not described well.  It's like Change Bank; how are they really making cash?

I'd almost rather hear more about how Dilger's ripping off San Fran's city health care.

Wow that's a lot of unsubstantiated defamation to pack into your first comment on AI.

The only thing better that "spotty logic" is making wild claims you don't even bother to back up with the spottiest of logic.

I guess it's easier to be a pretentious dick than offer any valid criticism of another person's work. It's worked so well for the guy behind the other six accounts that constantly fume about every DED article without articulating any real grievances. 

I reported this DED response, also:

Quote:

Here again, DED is insulting a reader under a pseudonym.

AI, you must address this issue before you lose all credibility.

• Reply 43 of 108
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I'm sure Google can't believe their luck, that Apple would actually create a key weakness in the Apple platform.  Hopefully they work it out quickly, but I guarantee Google is in no rush to help Apple out of this bind by releasing a standalone app.

Huh...I thought the article did a pretty good job of explaining why this isn't a "key weakness in the Apple platform", but rather,

a brilliant coup in progress.

And since this is a significant part of Google's bread and butter - how they accumulate the data which is their coin - I expect

they'll fall all over themselves to find a way to recoup users representing the lion's share of web traffic.

Were you perhaps holding it upside down when you read it???

• Reply 44 of 108
  • Reply 45 of 108
    cycomiko wrote: »
    Seeing googles contract with Apple has nother year running, what money have they stopped making?

Actually it's WAY WORSE.

Apple only officially supports iOS for two versions... That's now 5 & 6. In another year google will be fully removed and Google will be "just another" service on iPhones.
  • Reply 46 of 108

Clearly everyone has chosen a side of the debate on the wisdom (or lack thereof) of ditching Google maps.  My question to those of you so staunchly defending Apple is this: when Google releases it's own maps application with all of the features it provides for Android, will you still use Apple's maps?  Let's see how many of you will cut off the nose to spite the face.

• Reply 47 of 108
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I consider a Google-free iPhone (and iPad) to be a feature.

For the record, Apple maps and turn-by-turn directions are working great in my little corner of the world.  Flyover rocks, it's much better (and has a far less kludgy UI) than street view ever did.

• Reply 48 of 108
    cycomiko wrote: »
    Seeing googles contract with Apple has nother year running, what money have they stopped making?

Without reading the actual contract none of us know who was making money and who stopped making money.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    Clearly everyone has chosen a side of the debate on the wisdom (or lack thereof) of ditching Google maps.  My question to those of you so staunchly defending Apple is this: when Google releases it's own maps application with all of the features it provides for Android, will you still use Apple's maps?  Let's see how many of you will cut off the nose to spite the face.

Can we revisit this question when Google maps for iOS isn't vapor ware?
  • Reply 50 of 108

I don't really see the problem with any of the posts you reported, even if the poster is DED using a pseudonym.

AppleInsider isn't the WSJ. It's an Internet blog basically.

Also, the original poster was being, well, an slang term for the male organ.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    Man...this is so Godfather like. When Brando died in the movie, the young Al Pacino executed all the enemies all at once. Tim Cook did the same thing: 1) get the lawsuit payoff from Samsung, 2) dropping Samsung as the supplier of most components, and 3) dropping Google Maps and YouTube all within the time span of a few months. Apple is so cool. Tim Cook wears black too.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    I'm confused. Hasn't it been pretty well known that Apple was working on their own Maps app for a while. There was that report a year or so ago about Apple collecting traffic data or something (can't remember exactly). How could Google be surprised by this month's IOS announcement?

And I know it was mostly rumors talking about new Maps, but if we assume Google's Maps on IOS is so profitable for Google, you'd think that any hint of a loss would spur them to have a backup plan ready to go at a moment's notice. Not like they don't have the resources.

I feel like there's more to this than just "surprise! we have our own Maps now".
  • Reply 53 of 108

What? Do you expect us to "alert the Media?"

Perhaps you should take the time to report yourself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

• Reply 54 of 108
    [quote] Google faced the task of not just porting its existing Android Maps version to iOS, but improving upon its features and appearance to match Apple's own version. [/quote]

That comment really is beyond the pale, DED. There is certainly feature disparity between google and apple's mapping products, but taken as a whole, google is providing a better overall experience. That fact is substantiated by the legions of people who are rightly upset at the lack of equivalent technology to streetview and poor international mapping data present iOS6 maps. People are upset because the collective perception is that the most desired features in a mobile map product are present in google maps and missing in iOS6 maps. Whether or not Apple's technology will ULTIMATELY prevail is not the point at the moment, as it is clearly Apple who needs to improve their product to bring feature parity for currently desired features.

To imply otherwise shows severe bias, and significantly undermines my confidence in the rest of the information on this site. There have been several iOS6 mapping articles lately that have show the same lack of balance. I realize this is an influential "blog", and I suspect that DED doesn't want his Apple stock to slide anymore than it has already, so I suspect the recent editorial exuberance for a currently inferior product reflects some attempt at damage control to counter the recent negative media.

• Reply 55 of 108
    I crave a good Dilger rant as much as the next guy but this time he's off target. Apple's new map app is genuinely not as good as the one it replaced. Street view may be "creepy" to some but I use it a lot and like it and will miss it. I'm deferring activating my new iPhone 5 until after an upcoming trip because I know street view will come in handy. After that, I can only hope Google will submit a standalone app. That app makes the iPhone more useful than it otherwise would be.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    Or you could google it yourself.

"<span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;line-height:20px;">Google Maps API for Business is extremely cost-effective, starting at just $10,000 per year. Pricing is based on the number of map page views for externally facing websites. For internal uses, it is based on page views or number of vehicles being tracked."</span>

http://www.google.com/enterprise/earthmaps/maps-faq.html

It's not exactly a controversial idea that Google would charge companies based on the volume of transactions they make. 

Which says NOTHING about the contract they had with Apple particularly the dates it was applicable, what it included etc.

If you are going to make statements based on the implications you have seen theatul signed contract be prepared for folks to call you on it. Because someone in that position isn't likely to be posting in a forum like this
  • Reply 57 of 108
    The headline needs a serious change. What Apple did was nothing like the Skyhook incident. Not even close.

And AI would be advised to check their sources ns their sources sources and what was actually said. The Verge article in particular is getting misquoted like crazy but they never did Apple cut their contract a year early.
  • Reply 58 of 108
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

I'm confused. Hasn't it been pretty well known that Apple was working on their own Maps app for a while. There was that report a year or so ago about Apple collecting traffic data or something (can't remember exactly). How could Google be surprised by this month's IOS announcement?

And I know it was mostly rumors talking about new Maps, but if we assume Google's Maps on IOS is so profitable for Google, you'd think that any hint of a loss would spur them to have a backup plan ready to go at a moment's notice. Not like they don't have the resources.

I feel like there's more to this than just "surprise! we have our own Maps now".

I think it was the cancellation of the last year of the contract that surprised Google.  They probably thought they had plenty of time to come up with a standalone IOS app.

• Reply 59 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I consider a Google-free iPhone (and iPad) to be a feature.

For the record, Apple maps and turn-by-turn directions are working great in my little corner of the world.  Flyover rocks, it's much better (and has a far less kludgy UI) than street view ever did.

I agree as well. The map app works great where I live. 

My doctor relocated and I used 3D maps to see what the building looked like and found it much better than street view.

• Reply 60 of 108
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

Same view from Nokia Maps 3D http://maps.nokia.com/37.8314708,-122.4825772,16,228,56.01,3d.day

Hey Microsoft does it too, with Bing.

Words can't do it justice, so...