Street View functionality coming to Google Maps web app in two weeks, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This just pisses me off. What this means is that just as everyone has always suspected, Google has been using Flash for Streetview for years when it didn't really have to. If they can get rid of it that fast, why (the f*ck) didn't they do this years and years ago?

Because Apple forced them to do it.  See, not only does Apple consistently strive for improvement, it prods other companies to do so as well. 

• Reply 22 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

I ended up at the wrong apartment, 10 miles away from the correct address, thanks to Apple's new Maps app. So, I am not gonna use it. It's prettier but it is widely inaccurate. Google Maps in browser works just fine and it gave the right location!

I think you should give it some more time.  It was inaccurate for you on one occasion, it happens.  Same thing with Garmin, Tom Tom, Google etc.  If it became a pattern, I would understand, but to dismiss it after one inaccuracy I think it is a little premature.  Again, there are alternative iOS apps that offer navigation service.  Perhaps they may even be better than Google's offering, you never know.

• Reply 23 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

Why would Google bother to make a mapping app for iOS 6? The longer they wait the more bad press Apple gets for iOS 6 maps and the more advertising focus Google can place on why buyers should give up Apple for Android. It's a perfect story for Google and exactly what they have been waiting for....Apple to disappoint (at least in mind share) a large chuck on their user base and potential smartphone buyers.

I for one like the new maps. They have worked flawlessly for me. But bad press is bad press, it doesn't make it right. I have a friend who was going to make the switch to iOS, I had been working on him for over a year and finally had him sold. Then he read the review on iOS6 maps and decided not to switch.

Sadly, I won't be surprised to hear Google market share showing impressive growth this next year.

To Apple: I live in one of the top twenty largest cities in the US, one of the world's largest universities, and one of the top corporate headquarters per capita regions....seriously you should have 3D maps for us. Maps is half baked, I like it, but Steve probably would have kept it hidden until iOS7.

I believe it is in Google's best interest to keep the advertising bucks and location data flowing.  Apple just blocked them from a very large user base which has to effect them in some capacity.  Bad press is one thing, but  I think they would rather get the money flowing in sooner than later.  This is business, with one objective.

• Reply 24 of 32
    I love the new Apple Maps! I live in a mid-size town in the Rocky Mountains of Canada, and no trouble whatsoever finding a location. I use 2-3 times every day for my job and to shuttle my daughter around. I love that each tile for the directions is large enough to swipe with my thumb... Google Maps wasn't any better than this, at least not for me.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/13321/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 25 of 32

Deleted

• Reply 26 of 32

So Mr Pogue just selected a destination and followed the instructions without checking that the destination was correct. and then blamed it for being late !

When I use a GPS (ANY GPS) is I always check that the destination is correct before blindly following instructions. I have four different GPS units and only two of them have my house which was build 40 years ago.

I cannot see how the old google maps app would have helped him here as it never has turn by turn, how can he possibly say that the old app was better.

• Reply 27 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Too bad it doesn't have my street, I live in the middle of a big blank area, they are a bit slow with updating their maps.

Hill60, intreresting.  can you get routing, voice turn by turn, public transportation in your area.  don't know where you live but here in California, using I'm using Nokia Maps for iOS and it's working a lot better.  Saw this video of a blogger in Singapore who had all blank areas.  So, I would be interested in seeing a comparison of your town (assume it is a town if it a big blank area) compared to google, nokia and apple. a

cheers!

• Reply 28 of 32

If you want Street View back you can always try my $.99 application Live Street View: http://itunes.apple.com/be/app/live-street-view/id486967765?mt=8

• Reply 29 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    isteelers wrote: »
    Because Apple forced them to do it.  See, not only does Apple consistently strive for improvement, it prods other companies to do so as well. 

Isn't interesting that Google says it will take them months to make a native App (even though people have been talking about Apple doing maps for years) yet the minute Apple pulls the plug, Google can turn on street view in a couple of weeks.

Obviously, the technology was there and ready to go but they chose not to use it as a way of trying to convince people to use Android instead. I really can't understand why people trust Google.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This just pisses me off. What this means is that just as everyone has always suspected, Google has been using Flash for Streetview for years when it didn't really have to. If they can get rid of it that fast, why (the f*ck) didn't they do this years and years ago?

Google gave Apple the raw data, and Apple put it in their Maps app on the iPhone for the past 4 years (SV launched November 21, 2008). Of course there was never a need for Flash, whatever makes you say it did?
  • Reply 31 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalaruza View Post

IOS 6 maps rocks for me ! No issues yet and I will bet in less than 2 years it will be far better than google maps was after their first 2 years....

There have been excellent working versions of Google's Street View (licensed I presume) in the iOS App Store, I discovered to my sheer delight while sifting through the mass of vile snarky comments in the wake of the "MappleGate" affair. No flash, no privacy issues, win-win!

StreetViewer (69p/99c for the ad-free version) I would consider to be the best of them and, @lalaruza, will restore Street View functionality to already-rocking iOS 6, if only for bragging rights or additional eye-candy to 3D FlyOver, audio turn-by-turn navigation, Waze traffic and Yelp context.

It has Map, Satellite, Hybrid and Street Views, all zoomable, and even includes the JogMan icon and functionality...

Really enjoying my new iPhone and iPad as I have the best of Apple (no mapping issues in my corner of provincial UK) and the wealth of the 3rd party App Store, all at blazing speed and clarity...

• Reply 32 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That was still some 5-7 years after they started. Folks need to go back to the first year of the program that Google bought for their maps and see how perfect it wasn't. THAT is what is comparable to ios maps

I don't believe that's correct. It may seem like Google Maps has been around a long time, but their first US road maps weren't available until 2006.  Like Apple tho the background work began with an acquisition a couple of years before that.