Apple investigating inductive charging mat for docking portable devices

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdn777 View Post

I think that is a real good example for Apple's patent filings:

- Inductive Charging: Invented and put to products by others before, used in many and low-tech low-cost products like electric toothbrushes

- control via device orientation: Invented and put to products by others before,e.g. game controllers and my old Samsung Wave Phone for silencing the alarm and switchin on the speakerphone

Put both together with a vague idea behind it and gee you have a cause you can sue others that have the same trivial idea without having to go through the expensive and cumbersome process of making true inventions.

And while any clear thinking man must recognise the insanity of backing this legally, the adepts will praise apple's innovation when the iPhone 6 will have it approx. a year later than Nokia. But probably this will not hinder Apple from sueing them in the end.

AppleStores have an induction charging system for mice, keyboards, etc.  It's kind of expensive.  But it's cool.

Personally, I would prefer if they could make a battery that lasted 10 years running a device 24/7 without having to be recharged.  But I think we might have to wait a little longer for that.

• Reply 62 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

We'll need multiple charging pads:

1) Bedside.

2) Home desk.

3) Work desk.

4) Kitchen?

I think a way to use wireless signals to charge is the way forward, as per Tesla's research. Or if that is unsafe or inefficient, perhaps a way to use eye safe lasers to beam energy to a spot on a device.

Convenience sells, inconvenience and over expense puts people off.

The problem with induction charging is you have to be able to have one of those induction chargers where ever you go. What happens if you go out of town?  Do you have to pack your induction charging pad with you? 

Hotels would have to have them in the rooms, etc.

• Reply 63 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Nokia is following in the footsteps of my Braun toothbrush from 20 years ago.

Yeah, but your Braun toothbrush is only being used for about 2 minutes a couple of times a day and you can charge it once and it would last a few days or so on a charge.

The Nokia phone won't last a few days or a week with normal usage on one charge.  You'd have to always be close to that induction charging station.

I think it's a cool idea for a mouse, wireless keyboard and track pad for your desktop computer, but mobile devices that you are constantly traveling with? I'm not so sure.

• Reply 64 of 66

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

AppleStores have an induction charging system for mice, keyboards, etc.  It's kind of expensive.  But it's cool.

Uh, source?! Sounds like something they'd do, but it also sounds like a needlessly expensive thing to do.

• Reply 65 of 66
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, but your Braun toothbrush is only being used for about 2 minutes a couple of times a day and you can charge it once and it would last a few days or so on a charge.

The Nokia phone won't last a few days or a week with normal usage on one charge.  You'd have to always be close to that induction charging station.

Why not? The Qi spec allows for 5W or up to 120W charging. More than enough for a mobile phone. Idle power output should be close to 0.

What comes to the efficiency argument: http://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/technology/comparison-of-power-savings.html

"Transfer efficiency wireless charger (% of wired power adapter)  70%

Average power supplied during load (Watt) 2

Efficiency of wired power adapter during load (%) 72%"

So about a 30% reduction in efficiency during charging. During idle, there is no difference.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    The only place I want inductive charging is in my car. That way my bluetooth headset's battery won't be dead whenever I want to use it if they build inductive charging into it. Plantronics, are you listening?!?