Official iPhone 5 user guide references Apple-made dock

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

I seem to remember some docks on Kickstarter that used the standard user cable and a clamping mechanism which allows the user to connect with a case. Maybe old age is finally catching up, or I should start a new Kickstarter project

• Reply 22 of 34
    I use my dock in my bathroom to stream bluetooth music to my iShower using an old 3GS running iOS 6. It would probably fall in the toilet if I didn't have a dock. Docks are needed.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fithian wrote: »
    I use my dock in my bathroom to stream bluetooth music to my iShower using an old 3GS running iOS 6. It would probably fall in the toilet if I didn't have a dock. Docks are needed.

First, I don't recommend using electronics in a bathroom with the shower running unless they're specifically designed for it. The 3GS was not.

As for the dock, you are fortunate that you can find a dock for the 3GS. If you buy an iPhone 5, you are always free to get a soap dish or something to lay the phone into so it doesn't go into the toilet.
  • Reply 24 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't think you understand how business works.  Everything they make is profitable in that it has a rather healthy margin built in.  

My comment about money was that they don't think it will make them *enough* money (in terms of total dollars) to be worth their while.  They rightly point out that most people use cases, but what they are ignoring is that with their device sales figures in the hundreds of millions, a tiny percentage is equal to a huge number of people that are out of luck.  

I was a business major in college, so I'm pretty sure I do understand at least some basic concepts of business.

Gross margin on a product is great, but what about R&D costs, manufacturing set-up costs, packaging costs, and shipping costs?  What about the opportunity cost of wasting shelf space on a low-volume product?  What about the opportunity cost of wasting warehouse space on a low volume product?

No one disagrees that a dock is a high-margin item, and that margin helps to satisfy certain costs on a per-unit basis, but there are a lot of fixed costs and startup costs that must be satisfied before Apple can even start making docks in the first place.

You sound like a guy who declares that Apple "makes $450" on an iPhone because it only contains $200 in components.  Because designing, developing, manufacturing, and shipping those devices are totally free, amirite?

Schiller said they aren't going to make docks because they aren't highly used.  Yes, Jobs used to declare something had a limited market right before Apple introduced an item in said market, but we have yet to see a similar pattern develop from Schiller.  Until proven otherwise, I suggest you take Schiller at his word: these are not high volume products, and even the gross margin on a low-volume product doesn't make up for the fixed, startup, and opportunity costs that would arise from bringing such a product to market.

Deal with it.  Third parties will likely address this market opportunity.

• Reply 25 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

I seem to remember some docks on Kickstarter that used the standard user cable and a clamping mechanism which allows the user to connect with a case. Maybe old age is finally catching up, or I should start a new Kickstarter project

Some third party needs to figure out how to make an adjustable dock that can account for various case thicknesses.  This is exactly why out of 10+ iPhone users I know, none use docks.

• Reply 26 of 34
    Hey Apple, I'm one of the many people who use an iPhone dock on my nightstand. I don't use (or want) a clock radio or speakers, just a dock.

And please note that your Lightning to 30-pin adaptor won't due the trick either...
  • Reply 27 of 34
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

Docks are played out.  Back in the PalmPilot days, docks were in.  Now, they are unecessarily cumbersome, and one more thing on my nightstand.  Just plug the thing in. 

#pass

• Reply 28 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think it's really rude of Apple to not make a dock this year and especially to say as the explanation (paraphrased) "no one wants one." What they are really telling us that three just isn't enough MONEY in it for them to bother, which is a really a-holish thing to say or imply.

I also think there is a certain irony in releasing a phone that (supposedly) scratches so easily and at the same time force us all to lay the thing down on a desks/table/floor to charge the thing. This can only lead to more scratches than the device would otherwise have.

Your post makes no sense. Profit margins on accessories is huge, so clearly it makes sense financially for them to release a dock. It's ironic they're being bashed for this, because previously all the Apple bashing implied that Apple was changing the connector SO THEY CAN MAKE MORE MONEY from selling accessories. Apple has, for whatever reason, decided not to make a new dock. They like to cut out uneeded products whenever possible, that they don't believe a high enough percentage of people will use, or that 3rd parties can fill out. they've done it before with accessories. There will be 3rd party options soon, personally I've never purchased a dock for iPhone, nor have most of the iPhone owners I know. It forces you to not use a case, which is a major issue. 

• Reply 29 of 34

I really hope they do end up coming out with a universal dock like they had for the earlier connector.  Although I do feel it needs to be cheaper.  I never got one for my or my wife's iphone 4 because they were rediculously expensive.  $60 for the dock was way too much.  I don't need the remote, just give me the universal dock.

As far as people not using them because they use cases, blame the case manufacturers on that one.  I bought my case from Switcheasy, and it came with two universal dock adapters (one black, one white) that would have allowed me to dock my phone with the case on in the universal dock if I had one.  There is no reason other case manufacturers couldn't do the same thing.

• Reply 30 of 34
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Your post makes no sense. Profit margins on accessories is huge, so clearly it makes sense financially for them to release a dock. It's ironic they're being bashed for this, because previously all the Apple bashing implied that Apple was changing the connector SO THEY CAN MAKE MORE MONEY from selling accessories. Apple has, for whatever reason, decided not to make a new dock. They like to cut out uneeded products whenever possible, that they don't believe a high enough percentage of people will use, or that 3rd parties can fill out. they've done it before with accessories. There will be 3rd party options soon, personally I've never purchased a dock for iPhone, nor have most of the iPhone owners I know. It forces you to not use a case, which is a major issue. 

This just reads to me like you didn't read my post. 

• Reply 31 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewsta View Post

If it's a no-brainer, then why isn't Apple selling one?  Could it be they have actual sales data that suggests otherwise?

Remember, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Right, it is "anecdeets" 

• Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

Some third party needs to figure out how to make an adjustable dock that can account for various case thicknesses.  This is exactly why out of 10+ iPhone users I know, none use docks.

That, plus the fact that none of the Apple supplied docks that I saw ever supported landscape orientation, is why I haven't used one. I just use a stand instead, and plug it in using a regular cable.

/bs
  • Reply 33 of 34

Well, I used Apple's dock on my previous iPhone and I was fine with it. I used it on my desk where I use my phone the most, for work. It gave my iPhone a semi-permanant spot, it charged my phone, and held the phone at an angle that I could see who was calling at a glance. I actually use a bluetooth ear piece so my iPhone stayed in the dock during calls. This also allowed me to see all my notifications while working at my desk, again, w/o needing to handle the phone. Prior to purchasing said dock, I did look at alternatives as Apple's dock seemed a bit pricey.  In the end, all of the docks I considered were actually cradles as they still required you to plug the phone in and none were as minimalist as Apple's dock. 

I'm actually surprised accessory makers don't have their websites littered with "coming soon" products given the demand for them (as all the old accessories are useless). I get there's a lot to work out with the new connector, but that never stopped sites offering accessories for "just" and even "before" released products. Right now I'm actually using an old Belkin TuneDock that was purchased for a second or third gen iPod. Ironically, this too was a discarded accessory after it became obsolete - it's kinda nice to be able to repurpose it, albeit temporary (hopefully).

• Reply 34 of 34
    Documentation bug. Happens all the time.

But yeah, it would be great to have a dock for the iPhone 5.