Apple iPad dominates tablet-based web browsing with 98% share, report says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    More time per page ... Not necessarily a good thing.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    herbapou wrote: »
    Thats a thing that puzzle me. 30% of tablets are not ipads and more than 50% of phones are android and yet idevices wipes the floor with them on internet usage.
    That makes me wondering what the heck are the people doing with all those android devices? The are lost in settings or what?

Simple:

They are playing with widgets...
  • Reply 43 of 80
    79% more time on the kindle fire is due to people reading free books on web pages. My niece does it all the time.
  • Reply 44 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmcfo View Post

"Interestingly, the Kindle Fire has seen a bump in web content engagement, as users spend 79 percent more time per page visit compared to iPad users. "

Users have to use more time to browse the same web since the kindle fire is much more smaller than iPad, they have to scroll and scroll in order to read all contents.

They may even nod off while waiting for screen refresh, thus seeming to spend more time on sites.

• Reply 45 of 80
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Simple:
    They are playing with widgets...

...and have gone blind from doing so, thus negating the ability to visit and see websites.

That would explain this report.
  • Reply 46 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Maybe angry birds, but I doubt that they read too many books. People who read a lot are often better informed, less ignorant and also make more money.

The low-end Android market is clearly not marketing to intelligent or well-read people.

Agreed. Non Apple-gadget consumers are simply unintelligent idiots. Sounds a bit heavy but that's the way it is. Luckily there's only 2% of them.

Well, actually 90+% of them.

• Reply 47 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Hey, I remember that image. Come a long way since 2008. He's missing on both platforms now. :lol:

When are Marvel going to rename him Captain HTML5? /LOL
  • Reply 48 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

freebies for the employees.

As for the Kindle Fire user spending 79% more time? it's such a small sample size considering 0.11% of tablet web traffic is the Fire. You can't draw any conclusions about 7" tablets when the 10" tablet usage is 98+%

Actually, I think this statistics are showing  people who use the kindle or small form factory tablet stay on web page and jump around to more pages is due to it being hard to use and view. They are force to stay on a pages long and scroll around and while doing this causing you to jump to a page you did not mean to jump to.

Drawing a conclusion these devices are up and coming maybe misguided assumption, they need to talk to the people and watch what they are doing. I think my conclusion maybe closer based on my own observations.

• Reply 49 of 80
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    When are Marvel going to rename him Captain HTML5? /LOL

LOLZ!
  • Reply 50 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Imagine the drop in revenues for Google! No wonder they are blitzing the blogs with anti Apple maps fake negative reports.

I haven't read this news yet! Though Apple iPad is really nice

• Reply 51 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

Agreed. Non Apple-gadget consumers are simply unintelligent idiots. Sounds a bit heavy but that's the way it is. Luckily there's only 2% of them.

Where you get this graph? how reliable is it?

• Reply 52 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mocseg wrote: »

LL

That report has the same problems as the one starting this thread. We don't have any way of knowing how representative that sample is.
    ateny wrote: »
    In the future some of it could be attributed to
    https://adblockplus.org/en/android-about

I certainly would install it on an Android device, just to lessen my mobile data usage and to prevent tracking (which Onswipe seems to use to get those numbers) like Adblock does for me in Firefox on my desktop.

That's another good point - although I don't know how large a percentage of Android users use an ad blocker. I would guess that the heaviest users would be the ones most likely to be using an ad blocker (as they are probably the most sophisticated), so even a modest percentage of people using an ad blocker could have a significant impact on these numbers.
  • Reply 53 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That report has the same problems as the one starting this thread. We don't have any way of knowing how representative that sample is.

That's another good point - although I don't know how large a percentage of Android users use an ad blocker. I would guess that the heaviest users would be the ones most likely to be using an ad blocker (as they are probably the most sophisticated), so even a modest percentage of people using an ad blocker could have a significant impact on these numbers.

Exactly.  This whole thread is based on meaningless data as you've already pointed out.  Additionally, we have no details on the 1,200 sites they used for this study.  It may be that many of them are specifically targeted at iOS users (app review sites, Apple news sites, etc) in which case you would expect the figures to be skewed towards iOS.

• Reply 54 of 80

To all those playing devil's advocate and say all the reports that have come out over the years stating iPhone/iPad have 90+% web traffic share compared to their rivals, Google could straighten all this out if they only released their substantial analytics, you know, being one of the largest online/mobile ad companies in the world.

Google's had a few years to do this, yet they haven't. Maybe the news isn't good...

• Reply 55 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Onswipe Study

I'm looking at this chart, and I don't think it's accurate.

So here it is again, but this time the bars are correct. This is the size the chart has to be for the bar for the Asus tablet to have one pixel of height.

One. Pixel. Of. Height.

Click for larger, and then right-click and open the image in a new tab for full size. Why can't Huddler just let us put full size images inline?!

No, it would just be better to round to the nearest integar. iPad "98%", Tab "2%", Other "Within margin of error"

• Reply 56 of 80
    To all those playing devil's advocate and say all the reports that have come out over the years stating iPhone/iPad have 90+% web traffic share compared to their rivals, Google could straighten all this out if they only released their substantial analytics, you know, being one of the largest online/mobile ad companies in the world.

Google's had a few years to do this, yet they haven't. Maybe the news isn't good...

As a matter of fact, we already know the news isn't good. Data provided by Google even suggests that 80% of ad generated revenue on the two major mobile platforms is from Apple products. Considering that more than 95% of Google revenue is generated from "advertising and other" it is likely that the study is a valid representation with some margin for error.

"During the company's conference call, Google's new chief executive Larry Page noted a "run rate" of $2.5 billion in annual mobile revenues (income derived from Android, iOS, and other platforms), growth of about 2.5 times the company's 2010 mobile revenues, but a tiny fraction of the revenues Apple is generating as a hardware maker." (1)

"While Google's chief executive Larry Page recently described an $2.5 billion annual run rate for the company's mobile revenues, the company has testified that it has earned less than $550 million from Android across four years from 2008 to 2011." (2)

1. Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 13 October 2011. Google announces nearly $10 billion in quarterly revenue, little mention of Android. Apple Insider. Retrieved 26 September 2012.

2. Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 29 March 2012. Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android. Apple Insider. Retrieved 26 September 2012.

TLDR:

Google produces USD $2.5 bn annually in mobile revenues
    80% of Google mobile revenues are (were) generated through Apple products

No, it would just be better to round to the nearest integar. iPad "98%", Tab "2%", Other "Within margin of error"

Actually, isn't it likely that the Samsung Galaxy Tab is within the margin of error even after rounding?
  • Reply 57 of 80

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Actually, isn't it likely that the Samsung Galaxy Tab is within the margin of error even after rounding?

I was gonna say the same thing. image

iPad: 100% 

All others: 0%

Margin of error: ± 2%

• Reply 58 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

So all fo these Android devices are sold to whom, may I ask? To the companies themselves?

Remember that Android tablets are "shipped", not sold.  Meaning most of them may be sitting on the shelves at BestBuy.

• Reply 59 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But but but where is the Nexus 7"? All the tech sites bragged about how it sold out...

Well, the rumors that Google will be dropping the price to $99 shows how desperate they are.  They're trying to acquire critical mass at all costs but it's not working like it did with cell phones where they sold the highend ones for pennies, shortly after launch.

• Reply 60 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vqro View Post

Well, the rumors that Google will be dropping the price to $99 shows how desperate they are.  They're trying to acquire critical mass at all costs but it's not working like it did with cell phones where they sold the highend ones for pennies, shortly after launch.

How does a rumor demonstrate that?