Apple highlights third-party mapping applications in iOS App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    mstone wrote: »
    Google maps never was an App store app and it was apparently a contractual partnership between Apple and Google which more than likely does not currently have any provision for selling or distributing Google maps from the App Store among other significant licensing agreements regarding the data, which are not supported in the App Store model.

So if you leave your iPhone 4S or whatever in iOS 5 will it one day suddenly just die?
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Really? Why?

Touché !
  • Reply 23 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So if Google is going to be able to launch a version of Street View in the mobile web version that does not rely on Flash, perhaps they will also incorporate that version into their regular desktop browser map application. That will be quite the accomplishment if they only use HTML 5. With the old iOS app they had Objective C as a programming resource to provide multimedia support for the Street View app, but minus that it will be interesting to see how they overcome the interactivity issues of using straight HTML.

"T-Cookie" should have included Street Viewer and Live Street View in the list of 3rd party apps in the Store available for download and use alongside iOS 6. The former is quite excellent and a pleasant surprise, the latter passable.

The vast wealth of the eco-system and App Store more than compensates for this spate of early teething problems with the software.
  • Reply 25 of 56

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Touché !

… How? 

It would be a 180. A complete reversal of position, and a public statement that however much money was spent on Maps was wasted. There's no point to doing it when maps.google.com is available and when Maps is only ever going to be better.

• Reply 26 of 56

BS cop-out by Apple. 

To denigrate your own software like this (no matter what its condition.)

Should have kept their mouths shut and started working on making it better ASAP. The issue would have blown over almost completely in about a month (that's the power of Apple mindshare.) There was *already* news that Google/Moto faked their little smear campaign.

• Reply 27 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Why don't they just put Google Maps back? Or is that too obvious of a question?

To steal a quote from the Joker "You've changed things... forever. There's no going back..".

I hope they don't go back to Google maps. I like the new one, and there are temporary alternatives INCLUDING the Google Maps web-app. Staying with Google means we'll always be behind in features and technology. And to those suggesting keeping both, or rolling back until the new maps is ready, I disagree. They would have had to release it Mid OS cycle, or wait a year and fall further behind. They must feel they can get the maps up to par within a couple of months.

• Reply 28 of 56
    We want Google Maps back, screw the lousy substitutes Tim Cook you are a fool. Jobs is spinning in his grave for giving you the reins.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Kinda like when the Macy's Santa Claus told a shopper to go to Gimbel's.
  • Reply 30 of 56

Honest question to all those complaining/criticizing Apple and the new mapping software. I you STILL have maps.google.com, which is pretty full featured, and you can add it to your home screen (and move Apples app to a back page somewhere), there is also maps.bing.com AND you have many other options in the app-store, many of them free... Why are you still complaining? you still HAVE google maps, you still CAN find all the same directions and routing info you had before, you still CAN access it from your home screen, the map of your town and its roads are still going to look the same through the web app. I don't get it.

• Reply 31 of 56
    They forgot Streetviewer, which brings back Street View to iOS 6, by accessing the Google data.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

So if you leave your iPhone 4S or whatever in iOS 5 will it one day suddenly just die?

That is always a possibility however I seriously doubt it will be sudden.There will be ample warnings and perhaps even a grace period. But yes, I totally expect it will be EOLed.

• Reply 33 of 56
    I LOVE IT !!!!

Screw Google !!!

100 million users, who ACTUALLY USE their smartphones,
    INSTANTLY Vanished from Google's peering eyes!!!

OUCH!!

That's got to hurt, even if it only hurts a tinsy winsy bit,...still gotta Hurt !!!

GO APPLE !!

I LOVE THE NEW MAPS App !!!!!
    Serves me very well.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Faster than Googlemaps, audible turn by turn directions Google was never going to "give" to iOS. 

Right there it's superior.

• Reply 35 of 56
    Interesting that the link to 3rd party nav apps in the store omits TomTom. And not just in the US store either, I noticed the same thing in the Australian app store too. Given they are one of the data sources for Apple's Maps app perhaps this indicates Apple are unhappy with the quality of the info they are getting from TomTom?
  • Reply 36 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    twosee wrote: »
    Honest question to all those complaining/criticizing Apple and the new mapping software. I you STILL have maps.google.com, which is pretty full featured, and you can add it to your home screen (and move Apples app to a back page somewhere), there is also maps.bing.com AND you have many other options in the app-store, many of them free... Why are you still complaining? you still HAVE google maps, you still CAN find all the same directions and routing info you had before, you still CAN access it from your home screen, the map of your town and its roads are still going to look the same through the web app. I don't get it.

Because some people just have to complain about everything Apple does - even if it doesn't affect them.

Others are paid to do so.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    BS cop-out by Apple. 

To denigrate your own software like this (no matter what its condition.)

Should have kept their mouths shut and started working on making it better ASAP. The issue would have blown over almost completely in about a month (that's the power of Apple mindshare.) There was *already* news that Google/Moto faked their little smear campaign.

It sucks that Apple is throwing their supporters and defenders under the train like this.

Totally wrong move Tim. Not sure you were the right guy after all ... Not enough brass where it counts. This is a big boy's game. It's good vs. evil. It's not about your next job ...
  • Reply 38 of 56
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    rodent wrote: »
    We want Google Maps back, screw the lousy substitutes Tim Cook you are a fool. Jobs is spinning in his grave for giving you the reins.

Huh? Every one of your sentences is ridiculous. That is pretty impressive.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 40 of 56

I was regularly unable to find buildings such as my local DPS with Google Maps in Austin, TX. I had trouble finding USPS locations, perfectly typed street addresses, and more. Google Maps was far from perfect. What you have here is a mixture of some legitimate issues, that are on par with Google's own issues, or slightly better/worse depending on the area, and a legion of uninformed complainers, looking to parrot what they read in the newspaper or some blog so that they do feel informed. It is a form of validation, and unfortunately, with the quality of Apple products as high as it is, and the stock so impervious to longterm losses, media outlets are going to exploit any trend they can, knowing that ignorant masses will cluelessly repeat what they're instructed to.

See: any election ever, sports or popular music.