iCloud glitch offers users 25GB of storage space until 2050

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    2050? If they're still on the map by then¡
  • Reply 42 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    While I also have 25 GB of free space, this entire topic ignores the real question.

That storage space for iCloud doesn't do me any good. Most of my files are Office, Filemaker, financial files, Turbotax, etc, etc, etc. iCloud only stores files created or stored with Apple's apps, so I can't use it as a backup.

They had it right with MobileMe and iDisk. I could store all my files in a disk on my desktop which was automatically synced with the cloud for backup storage. I'd really love to see them go back to something like that again - then I could use the 25 GB.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    [CODE][/CODE]Ha! I was using 6 GB of my 25 GB so I downgraded to 10 GB... It said the downgrade will take effect in 2050. I wonder if I can get a map of my iCloud storage.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    ezorroezorro Posts: 11member

Just checked mine and I am good til 2050.  Thanks Apple!

• Reply 45 of 67
    rot'napple wrote: »
    2050, I'll be dead by then... But thanks Apple.
    Yeah… Now I'll have to rewrite my will!
  • Reply 46 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jragosta wrote: »
    While I also have 25 GB of free space, this entire topic ignores the real question.

That storage space for iCloud doesn't do me any good. Most of my files are Office, Filemaker, financial files, Turbotax, etc, etc, etc. iCloud only stores files created or stored with Apple's apps, so I can't use it as a backup.

They had it right with MobileMe and iDisk. I could store all my files in a disk on my desktop which was automatically synced with the cloud for backup storage. I'd really love to see them go back to something like that again - then I could use the 25 GB.

While I agree, supposedly they have released an API for devs to add this cloud ability to their apps. Maybe the landscape will look different after a year or something. But yes, that will be limited to OSX/iOS - curated software if you will.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I never understood what I was supposed to do with all this extra storage space for a limited time anyway. Wasn't I supposed to be getting my crap OFF Apple's servers?

Giving me more, seemed to encourage me to put more stuff than I had on MobileMe to begin with ... What's up with that?

So you get used to using too much space on iCloud ... so at the end you end up subscribing to pay for more space.  They don't want to lose you paying them for something.

• Reply 48 of 67
    philboogie wrote: »
    While I agree, supposedly they have released an API for devs to add this cloud ability to their apps. Maybe the landscape will look different after a year or something. But yes, that will be limited to OSX/iOS - curated software if you will.

Even if that's true, it would require me to open every app on my hard drive and re-save it in order for the app to know it's there and save it to iCloud (unless they have a 'find all' which doesn't seem likely - and wouldn't really be useful. I have a lot of junk that I don't want saved to iCloud (email attachments, for example).

Not to mention that it may take many years to get the majority of app vendors to support it.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Systemic QC failure at Apple. Quality and correctness is being abandoned. The list of small holes in this ship will eventually sink Apple.

Time for the Apple Board to put Cook and clan on notice and start internal investigations.

Not acceptable. It's the well-known broken window problem; it needs to be fixed NOW.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    rlowerlowe Posts: 21member
    LOL, I don't think there would be someone still using iCloud in 2050.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I find that 5GB is plenty... I have 25 GB currently and I'm only using less than a gig between one Mac, an iPad and an iPhone.

5 GB might not be enough for someone who keeps a lot of photos in their camera roll. I say either save them to your Mac ASAP or don't backup your camera roll.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    postulant wrote: »
    I find that 5GB is plenty... I have 25 GB currently and I'm only using less than a gig between one Mac, an iPad and an iPhone.
    5 GB might not be enough for someone who keeps a lot of photos in their camera roll. I say either save them to your Mac ASAP or don't backup your camera roll.

The whole point of iCloud is that saving them to your computer is not completely safe. What happens if your house burns down? You lose both your computer and your backup.

Prudence requires that you maintain your local computer, a local backup, and an online backup for anything that's important to you.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Seeing this, I went and checked my account. Yep - same as the pic in this article, and the date is 2050, however, it says that the plan is 20GB for $40 a year (greyed out, like the disclaimer about downgrading), rather than free, and will be DOWNGRADED to free when the current plan ends in 2050. I hadn't looked at it before, so I don't know if it appeared the same (cost greyed out), but if not, does this mean we're going to start seeing charges? I know some would like to think it's free, but is it really? Did I sign up to give Apple $40 a year for the next 38 years? I think not. I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but if it's a glitch and becomes a charge, I'll be changing it to the free 5GB plan. I've had .Mac and MM for a number of years now and as of today I've still got less than 3GB of stuff out there, so why give Apple (or anyone) $40 annually? Meh.

This is exactly what happened when the date was 9/30/12. The only thing that changed is the year.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Hope Abro is right. But I took a screenshot of mine just to cover my ass in case some douchebag legal firm files a class-action lawsuit. You know they will. *winks*
  • Reply 55 of 67
    I called Apple support and it is indeed on purpose, they are doing it as an "I'm Sorry" gesture for the failed iOS 6 Maps app. Bravo Apple! Best Customer support ever!
  • Reply 56 of 67
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    MobileMe ex-user converted to iCloud. I too show 25GB until 2050. No complaints from me.

I'm at 50GB and recently dropped my plan prior to the billing in Nov to 10GB. I was a heavy user of mobileme gallery and used my iDisk to store and make large binaries available to friends. I currently show I'll be billed $10 on 9/30/50 for the change to 10GB.

I can't imagine using more than 10GB on their current offerings with 3 iDevices.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jarson View Post

I called Apple support and it is indeed on purpose, they are doing it as an "I'm Sorry" gesture for the failed iOS 6 Maps app. Bravo Apple! Best Customer support ever!

Not the best Maps joke.

• Reply 58 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The whole point of iCloud is that saving them to your computer is not completely safe. What happens if your house burns down? You lose both your computer and your backup.

Prudence requires that you maintain your local computer, a local backup, and an online backup for anything that's important to you.

Cloud storage saved me just two weeks ago when I had a hard-drive unexpectedly fail.  I had several dozen working files saved to the Cloud that would have been almost impossible to reconstruct. I'm a believer.

• Reply 59 of 67
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    I'm seeing the same thing for my [Canadian] account.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Oh yay, that's me.