Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Can someone please explain why iSheldon needs 2 iPads?

One in the can, one by the bed. Obvious, innit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Plastic is perfectly recyclable.

Looking at the picture I would say its plastic because there are embedded metal screw anchors. But I may be wrong, maybe these are required for an aluminum chassis as well?

• Reply 62 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

For this product, they possibly could have done it within a year, especially if there was momentum within Apple and Jobs was the major no factor. 

Yeah like everyone at Apple was saying "Oh, we're so sad about Steve's passing, now where were those iPad mini drawings?"

• Reply 63 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah like everyone at Apple was saying "Oh, we're so sad about Steve's passing, now where were those iPad mini drawings?"

You could be sad that he's gone and still think he was wrong about something. But like I said, even without momentum, it's certainly possible.

• Reply 64 of 97
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Looks great!"

"Aluminum was the right choice. Plastic is too cheap a feel and look."

"Should've gone with solid orange like that mold."

They're saving orange for the much anticipated Nerf iPad ;)

• Reply 65 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Looking at the picture I would say its plastic because there are embedded metal screw anchors. But I may be wrong, maybe these are required for an aluminum chassis as well?

It appears that the internal chassis is sheet metal and the the pressed in anchors provide a more secure fastening for the components. I was speculating that the back case is sheet metal as well, however I'm curious why they would go to the effort of the black surface treatment on the inside. One reason I don't think it is plastic is if you notice the corners, the thickness of the outer shell is quite thin. One reason they round the corners is to relieve stress if the device is dropped on the corner. There is a space behind the corner which could lead one to believe that unreinforced plastic this thin would easily crack. So I'm still going with stamped sheet aluminum for the outer case.

• Reply 66 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

If they came out with it the day after his death you would say they EASILY could finish it in a day so long as Steve did not sign off on the project.

Yes, I would obviously say that. Not only because it makes sense and is realistic or intelligent to say, but because it sounds like something I would say and not just the delusions of a mind with a vendetta.

When you already have prototypes and have already done work in something whose predecessor was publicly admitted to have taken barely over a year to finish, I would imagine you can build a working version in a year.

Take the iPhone. Obviously they're working two to three models ahead, but by the time a model is released, they already have prototypes and work done into next year's model. They finish development, not start it, within the next 365 days before its launch. And the same could easily happen here. 

Or maybe that's just "another" lie.

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

They're saving orange for the much anticipated Nerf iPad ;)

People would STILL manage to mistreat it enough to crack the screen.

• Reply 67 of 97
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Finally a mini iPad. the mini iPad is going to kill the iPad.

LIke the Mac Mini killed the Mac you mean?
  • Reply 68 of 97

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

LIke the Mac Mini killed the Mac you mean?

Now you'll get some responses from the people that don't believe that Apple sells a desktop Mac at all, so the Mac Mini couldn't supplant it.

• Reply 69 of 97
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

I'm not laughing at the situation, but this made me chuckle.

• Reply 70 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Use some logic and your brain- the iPad already exists. The iPhone 5 has been released. What in any event will this show that's different from what already exists?

An event was called to introduce the iPad- because it never existed before remember? Don't you retain?

Was an event ever called for the iPod mini? NO.

Yes there was. Well, to be precise, it was introduced at MacWorld. But back then, Apple used MacWorld to introduce many products. In recent years, Apple relies on special events and WWDC to make new product announcements.

• Reply 71 of 97
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

The argument of whether Steve approved the iPad mini or not can really only exist in a vacuum.  It's fun to speculate now, but once this product is released and sells millions, it doesn't matter if he approved it or if it's 100% Tim's baby.  The proof is in the sales, innit?

• Reply 72 of 97

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

…once this product is released and sells millions, it doesn't matter if he approved it or if it's 100% Tim's baby.  The proof is in the sales, innit?

I'd prefer something be the best and sell comparatively poorly than to sell well for other reasons.

• Reply 73 of 97
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Is this Tim Cook doubling down on security?

• Reply 74 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

While I disagree with the premise, I agree with the concept: In order to be successful, Apple has kill off it's own products with better products.  Better apple kill the iPad, than Asus.

Did the Shuffle kill the original iPod?  No, it was the iPhone that killed the iPod (and all portable music Players... the iPod is still the number 1 brand in the mp3 market market).

Is it better that the MacBook Air kill off the 17" MacBook Pro?

In the end, having the 'skill' to kill off a product with a better product is what we expect Apple to do.

As opposed to say, HPQ/Palm, or RIMM, which can kill off a product with no product at all;-)  Or Microsoft, which must be pro-Life, because it can't kill any of it's products (IE6, WinXP).  Well Zune and Danger, but there I think they have morphed into HW, and are acting more like HPQ or RIMM;-)

The 17" MacBook Pro as far as I know hasn't been killed off. It's temporary on hold otherwise you would have heard from Apple discontinuing it. As for the iPad Mini I think there will be one.

• Reply 75 of 97
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

It appears that the internal chassis is sheet metal and the the pressed in anchors provide a more secure fastening for the components. I was speculating that the back case is sheet metal as well, however I'm curious why they would go to the effort of the black surface treatment on the inside. One reason I don't think it is plastic is if you notice the corners, the thickness of the outer shell is quite thin. One reason they round the corners is to relieve stress if the device is dropped on the corner. There is a space behind the corner which could lead one to believe that unreinforced plastic this thin would easily crack. So I'm still going with stamped sheet aluminum for the outer case.

Yes, I think you are right. The other give away are the folded in flaps (horizontal edge from the outside and in towards the centre, which would not be there in a plastic or aluminum design.

• Reply 76 of 97
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Obviously. So when you can't answer something you know nothing about your reflex is to call someone a troll.

Rich.

You are either the stupidest person on earth or a troll just screwing around with people.  Hmmm... I wonder which?  

For the record, what I didn't understand, is your crazy response to my crystal clear post about why you were wrong in your first post.  I understood your first post all too well.  You regularly mix things up this way.  Here you take my second reply and apply it to your first statement, and manage to reach the nonsensical conclusion that you've somehow "won" the argument.  

You seriously just don't seem smart enough to get what I'm saying so I am going to just stop talking to you.  mkay? 

• Reply 77 of 97
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Can someone please explain why iSheldon needs 2 iPads?

The Sheldon character on "Big Bang Theory" is first and foremost, written as a juvenile.  He is a little boy who is trapped in a grown-up world that he doesn't really understand.  

I think that fact is the secret key to understanding what kind of a person "iSheldon" is.  ;)

• Reply 78 of 97
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    You are either the stupidest person on earth or a troll just screwing around with people.  Hmmm... I wonder which?  

For the record, what I didn't understand, is your crazy response to my crystal clear post about why you were wrong in your first post.  I understood your first post all too well.  You regularly mix things up this way.  Here you take my second reply and apply it to your first statement, and manage to reach the nonsensical conclusion that you've somehow "won" the argument.  

You seriously just don't seem smart enough to get what I'm saying so I am going to just stop talking to you.  mkay? 

Get it right- You mean "nkay?"
    Pleez
    Por favor
    Or whatever else it takes.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Use some logic and your brain- the iPad already exists. The iPhone 5 has been released. What in any event will this show that's different from what already exists?

An event was called to introduce the iPad- because it never existed before remember? Don't you retain?

Was an event ever called for the iPod mini? NO.

Apple could hold an "informal" event for the iPad mini and could possibly even announce a minor iPad upgrade with Lightning. Some new educational offerings as well?

Truth be told, however, iPad is getting mature enough that minor speed and feature bumps could be folded into the Apple store, much like mid-series bumps in the MacBook Pro line no longer deserve or require press events.

• Reply 80 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, I think you are right. The other give away are the folded in flaps (horizontal edge from the outside and in towards the centre, which would not be there in a plastic or aluminum design.

From these pictures it is looking like this device will be entry level and inexpensive. No unibody, no noise canceling microphone, lower resolution screen, plastic bezels, etc. I was hoping for a iPad mini of equal build characteristics to the current model, just smaller, but I sort of suspected that was not going to be the target audience. At least it has cellular. I'll probably still get one but I'm not as excited about it as I would have been had it been top notch materials and features.