Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 22 of 54
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

It certainly is a Siri issue for anyone trying to use Siri to find an Apple store......

If you noticed the results of the search quarry, it filters by distance. It is not going to place the Apple Store at the top of the list if it is not closest to you.

• Reply 23 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Indeed!  What kind of a site would dare promote such drivel?! ;)

Gizmodo. :|

• Reply 24 of 54
    I asked my Galaxy S3 to "find Apple stores" and it returned results that only included the correct 3 local Apple stores. Just an FYI.
  • Reply 25 of 54

"Find me an iPhone 5"

Siri quickly processed this, opened the Apple Store App and brought me to the info page about iPhone 5. 

I myself have found Siri much improved with iOS6, from dictation and sending text messages while driving to simple processing of my requests. 

Maps however, a whole other store. 

My girlfriend's address in Astoria, NY. No where near her place, however, Google Maps had no problem finding the location before iOS6 and I was able to follow the little blue dot to get there. 

It will take time, I understand that. Being so imbedded in the ecosystem, which I'm sure most people are that read these sites. Things will improve and blow away any expectation.

Who else has seen Siri improve? I hate hearing/reading bull shit regarding Siri and how it is worthless. Someone tries it once, doesn't work perfectly then forget about it.

• Reply 26 of 54
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    I general apple has a big handicap.. These people dont know how to do search algoritems.
    Similier and shocking short coming is in apples spellcheck/ word recognition suggestion algoritem.

It is horrible.
    I often have to resort to google search for fnding spelling or word suggestion pointers.
    for example i will type a sentance in google search.. And if i have a bogus word there... It will respond with " did u mean such and such" and it is always the right suggestion.

In apple spell check or search in maps... The result is .. No suggetions or no listing.
    Why and how apple is so weak in this are is mind boggeling!

Type acrylic box or acrylic shelf in apple maps..... No result
    Type acrylic alone... U get a bunch of results....including boxes
    Simply stupid... Why cant i narrow down the search .

Type acrilic in goog maps and it asks did u mean acrylic?
    Apple wont suggest a corrcted word!

Why should they be behind in such a basic and fundimental area???
  • Reply 27 of 54
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

If you watched The Big Bang Theory S05E14, you'll know Siri is just one woman (a pretty one at that) in a small office handling all the queries. That poor woman don't have time to learn and filter all the data that fast.

Was that woman typing the query into Bing and returning the results? :-)

• Reply 28 of 54
    You are not using it right. You need to ask "Apple Retail Store". I just tried it and it worked great!

However, I agree that Apple should have covered "Apple Store" questions too.

Regards,
    --NT
  • Reply 29 of 54
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

This is not really a Siri issue.

No, because knows you weren't really looking for an Apple Store. That you were really looking for Apple Tax Service. Happens a lot.

• Reply 30 of 54

I basically never use Siri on my iPhone except when my son wants to have fun playing with Siri. Basically got it wrong too often for my taste.

It's not a knock of Siri, it's probably relatively well done, but just not good enough for me personally. Plus, I can e.g. type on my calendar app faster than trying to get it right through Siri, so Siri is not even convenient enough for me.

• Reply 31 of 54
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

This may be the matter of the right query. I asked mine to find the nearest exact match for apple store and it found Apple Inc on 1 Infinite Loop ;) Siri did say it was pretty far from me. I wonder if there is a specific query for finding an exact match. The search results make some sense in that they are sorted by distance by default.

I suspect it's a variation of what I asked for an exact match.

• Reply 32 of 54
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

I general apple has a big handicap.. These people dont know how to do search algoritems.

Similier and shocking short coming is in apples spellcheck/ word recognition suggestion algoritem.

It is horrible.

I often have to resort to google search for fnding spelling or word suggestion pointers.

for example i will type a sentance in google search.. And if i have a bogus word there... It will respond with " did u mean such and such" and it is always the right suggestion.

In apple spell check or search in maps... The result is .. No suggetions or no listing.

Why and how apple is so weak in this are is mind boggeling!

Type acrylic box or acrylic shelf in apple maps..... No result

Type acrylic alone... U get a bunch of results....including boxes

Simply stupid... Why cant i narrow down the search .

Type acrilic in goog maps and it asks did u mean acrylic?

Apple wont suggest a corrcted word!

Why should they be behind in such a basic and fundimental area???

I dislike that Apple's spell check always wants to change "were" to "we're" on my iPhone.

• Reply 33 of 54
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 34 of 54
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"Still in Beta:  Siri falls short"

Maybe they should change its name to Betty or Bette,

at least until its bettah?

• Reply 35 of 54
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Here's the problem:

Tim Cook is not a product guy...He knows how to keep items in stock.

Well, one way is to make products no one will buy...like several of his competitors.

(He hasn't tried that yet, and doesn't appear likely to.)

• Reply 36 of 54
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

This is not really a Siri issue.

No, because knows you weren't really looking for an Apple Store. That you were really looking for Apple Tax Service. Happens a lot.

I'm still not seeing why this is a Siri problem. All Siri is doing is passing the query on to the maps app, which returns identical results even if you don't ask via Siri.

• Reply 37 of 54
    remereme Posts: 74member

It's not Siri as much as the search engine as mentioned, but the results order is dictated by distance from your location.  So in this case if there a lot of buisnesses with Apple in their title closer to you than an Apple Store, they will display first.

I wish that you could sort results by closest match instead of distance.  Clearly they should tweak "Apple Store" as a dead match, really.

I will say that I am one of many who ditched Siri within a week of getting my 4S because she messed up way too often just trying to dial co-worker names.  I turned on Siri to play with maps on the iPhone5 and have not had an issue in this whole week of using it.  I don't know of any nav app that has as much promise as a Siri driven one.  I have been testing pure voice nav functions, say "navigate to PetSmart" and it reads out choices, you can tell it to skip, or "Go there" and it shifts gears into nav mode.  As Apple improves the maps, it will just get better. 

I wish I could go a step further and then say "Go there, using Garmin App" and have Siri launch and then hand off the coordinates to the nav app of your choice...

• Reply 38 of 54
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

If you watched The Big Bang Theory S05E14, you'll know Siri is just one woman (a pretty one at that) in a small office handling all the queries. That poor woman don't have time to learn and filter all the data that fast.

Love that episode...

Siri: "Would you like me to call you Rajh?"

Rajh: "I'd like you to call me sexy."

Siri:  "Okay.  From now on I will call you sexy."

Rajh: "Well alright!"

Siri: "Hi Sexi.  Would you like to make love to me?  Just let me know."

Rajh: "Cahh.  Cahh."

Siri: "I'm sorry.  I don't understand 'Cahh.  Cahh."

(Rajh wakes up from a dream): "Nooooooooooooo!"

• Reply 39 of 54
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

I've actually been really impressed with the iPhone 5 accuracy using Siri. I skipped the 4S, but even in noisy rooms or a car, it unfailingly gets my query right. Have to agree with the above. This has nothing to do with Siri as it just passes the info to Maps and that sorts by distance. 

• Reply 40 of 54
    I love how all 9to5 and AI screenshots of iPhones are jailbroken.