In-depth Review: Apple's iOS 6 Maps & the alternatives 2: Maps and visualizations

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member


    Here's a puzzle for the Google maps fans:-


     


    Find Selwyn Avenue, it's in Minto NSW, Australia. (Note: Not in the USA)


     


     



     


    A hint, it's one of the FOUR Longhurst Roads.


     


    Feel free to cheat using Apple Maps in iOS 6.

  • Reply 22 of 84
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,510member


    Yesterday I just discovered that Milan in Italy is in flyover, and it looks great! It's actually a pretty small area, but it loads really fast because of that. On the other side, Los Angeles is such a huge area that it loads slower and has less detail.

  • Reply 23 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post



    I just did a comparison during the weekend of Apple Maps on my iPad3 and Nokia Maps on my Lumia 800 (and N8) and I can say it is absolutely no competition.

    Apple still has a way to go before it is a match. This has nothing to do with the accuracy of the maps, just the usefulness as a real car navigator.

    The Nokia Maps actually provides real car navigation features such as speed, time/distance till destination, speed camera warnings, speed limit information, lane guidance, exit ramp numbers.

    Also, while the Nokia Maps displayed side roads for context the iPad had just a single highway stretching ahead and just the one large info panel at the top. What a total waste of screen space.

    About the only thing that was better was that the iPad screen updates are a bit smoother.

    I also wish I could turn off the announcing of street names. iOS makes a total mess of Finnish street names when speaking English.


     


    Hey Nokia maps fan dude, you can play my puzzle game too.


     


    Find Selwyn Avenue, Minto, NSW Australia (not in the USA)


     


     



     


    It's harder for you, at least the street exists in Google maps although it's misnamed.


     


    Feel free to cheat using Apple maps in iOS 6

  • Reply 24 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,616member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    Here's a puzzle for the Google maps fans:-


     


    Find Selwyn Avenue, it's in Minto NSW, Australia. (Note: Not in the USA)


     


     



     


    A hint, it's one of the FOUR Longhurst Roads.


     


    Feel free to cheat using Apple Maps in iOS 6.



    It runs into Perisher at the V-intersection. And no I didn't use Apple maps. image


     


    Google Maps does have it mislabeled.

  • Reply 25 of 84
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,510member


    I love how Apple fanboys try hard to find zones where apple maps works and others don't, when it's actually very easy to find a zone that's best on google or nokia.


    That place in Australia is almost completely empty AND the few homes there are just for display.


     


    Anyway, I found the road, using streetview.


    http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=+Minto+,+australia&hl=fr&ll=-34.032413,150.855397&spn=0.003388,0.004812&sll=-33.882798,151.062803&sspn=0.432088,0.615921&t=h&hnear=Minto+Nouvelle-Galles+du+Sud,+Australie&z=18&layer=c&cbll=-34.032413,150.855397&panoid=ebJVKkzDZvh2p7Z5x5bNlA&cbp=12,219.01,,0,6.4


     


    I won the puzzle. What do I win?


     


    For every apple win, there's ten others google wins.

  • Reply 26 of 84
    Where's the traffic? They only show red right now for traffic. I've submitted at least a dozen "problem" tickets about the lack of green/yellow/red traffic as that is a complete deal breaker for me. Whenever I travel using the iOS 6 maps I put the nagivation in the background and fire up mapquest so I can see the traffic. It's really easy to implement so I have no idea why Apple hasn't fixed this yet but even my wife is about to call it quits because of that.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    It runs into Perisher at the V-intersection. And no I didn't use Apple maps. image


     


    Google Maps does have it mislabeled.



     


    Apparently you didn't use Google maps either:-


     


     


  • Reply 28 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,616member


    You did say feel free to cheat. 


    I went to TomTom/TeleAtlas, found the street and copied coordinates, then pasted them into Google Maps. I've not checked to see how the other poster found it in Streetview. Anyway, that's proof enough for me that Apple Maps is more accurate than anything from Bing/Navteq/Google.

  • Reply 29 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post


    That place in Australia is almost completely empty AND the few homes there are just for display.



     


    I guess it depends on how up to date the images are:-


     


     



     


     


  • Reply 30 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,616member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


     


    I guess it depends on how up to date the images are:-



    Google's Streetview images for that area are labeled as 2011.

  • Reply 31 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    You did say feel free to cheat. 


    I went to TomTom/TeleAtlas, found the street and copied coordinates, then pasted them into Google Maps. I've not checked to see how the other poster found it in Streetview. Anyway, that's proof enough for me that Apple Maps is more accurate than anything from Bing/Navteq/Google.



     


    Nope, it proves that these other maps aren't as perfect as some would have us believe.

  • Reply 32 of 84
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    bigmc6000 wrote: »
    Where's the traffic? They only show red right now for traffic. I've submitted at least a dozen "problem" tickets about the lack of green/yellow/red traffic as that is a complete deal breaker for me. Whenever I travel using the iOS 6 maps I put the nagivation in the background and fire up mapquest so I can see the traffic. It's really easy to implement so I have no idea why Apple hasn't fixed this yet but even my wife is about to call it quits because of that.

    Apple should leave the traffic exactly how it is now. Google Maps traffic is meaningless since every single road constantly flashes red every three seconds.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Google's Streetview images for that area are labeled as 2011.



     


    They also seem to contain a mysterious space time discontinuum, if you follow the street view up Selwyn Avenue (or Longhurst Road as Google call it, not to be confused with Longhurst Road, Longhurst Road or the other Longhurst Road) then when you enter into Perisher, you are suddenly flung onto Eagleview Road...


     


    ...cue the twilight zone music.


     


    This little area is way more entertaining than some park in Manhattan or Brooklyn or wherever it was that was in that Google iLost Ad.

  • Reply 34 of 84
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


     


    Nope, it proves that these other maps aren't as perfect as some would have us believe.





    Sure no map is perfect, no one actually said that.


    I just want better support for non-american cities. Apple, Google, everyone concentrate their efforts on the US, which is normal, but other countries represent a lot of their sales.


    This doesn't apply just to maps, but to Siri too, like for searching a movie playing nearby.

  • Reply 35 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post




    Sure no map is perfect, no one actually said that.


    I just want better support for non-american cities. Apple, Google, everyone concentrate their efforts on the US, which is normal, but other countries represent a lot of their sales.


    This doesn't apply just to maps, but to Siri too, like for searching a movie playing nearby.



     


    Hey mate, Australia isn't in America.


     


    Apple also didn't release an "iLost" Ad


     


     


  • Reply 36 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,616member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


     


    Hey mate, Australia isn't in America.


     


    Apple also didn't release an "iLost" Ad


     


     




    I'm not aware of Motorola Mobility posting anything other than to their own Google+ page. Did you see an ad placed by Moto somewhere else? Perhaps they did make it into an ad somewhere.

  • Reply 37 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,990member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    I'm not aware of Motorola Mobility posting anything other than to their own Google+ page. Did you see an ad placed by Moto somewhere else? Perhaps they did make it into an ad somewhere.



     


    Hey what does #iLost mean?


     


    It looks like some sort of Twitter thing?

  • Reply 38 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,616member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


     


    Hey what does #iLost mean?


     


    It looks like some sort of Twitter thing?



    Sounds like some twitter folk made it a hashtag, or at least I think that's what they call it. I seldom bother with Twitter anymore tho I used to be active. Oddly I still get new followers nearly every week even tho I think I've made only a half dozen posts or so all year.

  • Reply 39 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    A hint, it's one of the FOUR Longhurst Roads.



     


    "Okay, so where are you?"



    "I'm at the corner of Longhurst and… Longhurst. Jerry, I think I'm at the nexus of the universe!"

  • Reply 40 of 84

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Squuiid View Post



    Hoover Dam is still screwed in Satellite view. Scalextric FTW!


    Same for me - but you have to ask yourself, "who cares?"  I know the bridge doesn't flow down into the valley and I don't need to see it perfectly.

Sign In or Register to comment.