New iPod touch reportedly uses A5 SoC, Apple posts official user's guide

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released a digital user's guide for its fifth-generation iPod touch, while a separate report allegedly ran a benchmark on the new device to find an A5 series processor clocked at 800MHz, providing performance on par with the iPhone 4S.

iPod touch Specs
Purported iPod touch specs. | Source: Mac Otakara

Japanese language Apple blog Mac Otakara posted screenshots purportedly from the app "System Status" running on a fifth-generation iPod touch, revealing some of the new media player's specifications.

If the images are to be believed, the iPod is running an Apple A5 system on chip based on ARM's Cortex-A9 architecture, with the same clock speed and on-board PowerVR GPU used in last year's iPhone 4S.

Further details show a display resolution of 1,136-by-640 pixels, with a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch, matching the recently-released iPhone 5's 4-inch Retina display. Unlike Apple's latest smartphone, however, the iPod touch carries a 3.7-volt battery delivering 930mAh of power, slightly less than the 3.8-volt 1,434mAh cell found in the iPhone 5. This is to be expected as the iPod doesn't need to run power-hungry cellular communications components.

As for the iPod touch cameras, the rear-facing shooter appears to be a 5-megapixel part, while the front-facing unit used mainly for FaceTime calls over Wi-Fi comes in at 1.2-megapixels.

iPod touch User's Guide
iPod User's Guide. | Source: Apple

Apple also released the official user's guide for the newest iPod touch, which can be downloaded for free from the iBookstore. While the digital publication offers little in the way of new information regarding the device, it provides an in-depth look at what customers can expect when the product begins shipping later this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    It's still an awesome iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    When can i actually buy it... oh 'later this month'. over a month after public release, with no real indication of availability.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cycomiko wrote: »
    When can i actually buy it... oh 'later this month'. over a month after public release, with no real indication of availability.

Based on the components used I'm guessing they are short on displays and putting them in iPhones first.
  • Reply 4 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Ain't life just a bitch?  :- /

/s

• Reply 5 of 16
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I mean nobody!  NOBODY can come close to making anything close to this except for Apple.

Also expect people to start seeing if the purple bloom shows up with the camera on this device.  Wait and see.  They will start comparing the camera to the iPhone 5.

• Reply 6 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I mean nobody!  NOBODY can come close to making anything close to this except for Apple.

Also expect people to start seeing if the purple bloom shows up with the camera on this device.  Wait and see.  They will start comparing the camera to the iPhone 5.

umm Samsung can.  They did it with the iPhone.

• Reply 7 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

umm Samsung can.  They did it with the iPhone.

No.. they aren't close at all.

• Reply 8 of 16
    I do not get the first part of this article. Stating that the iPod Touch "reportedly" uses the A5 SoC seems odd to me, as Apple itself states "...That's because the dual-core A5 chip provides up to twice the processing power and up to seven times faster graphics than the previous generation" on the iPod touch part of their Website.
    Remembering that the previous generation iPod Touch has the same A4 Chip as the iPhone 4 and that Apple stated the exact same performance gains on the iPhone 4s, it seems logical that the latest generation iPod Touch uses the same chip with the same clocks as the iPhone 4s.
    The only question I'm asking myself is whether Apple took the A5 chip to the 32nm process (like the iPad 2,4) or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I did not get this article, at least the first part.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    [QUOTE]New iPod touch reportedly uses A5 SoC[/QUOTE]

Reportedly? You didn't watch the event, right?

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/features/
  • Reply 10 of 16

Neely Chiropractic hospital situated in the Del Mar Chiropractor

Highlands employs the friendliest and the majority advanced corpse work therapists you will ever meet. Our approved massage therapists perform various body work techniques along with Dr. Neely’s recommendation on therapeutic work out to lead you to a swift and stable revival. Our practice specializes in sports wound or chronic muscular-skeletal circumstances.

• Reply 11 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Reportedly? You didn't watch the event, right?

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/features/

exactly! i came here to say the same thing. it also reportedly has a 4" screen.

• Reply 12 of 16

I'm also curious as to why the writer of this article seems to have ignored the fact that all this information was announced and well known.

Oh my God! A5? If these photos are to be believed, Apple shipped exactly what they said they would!

• Reply 13 of 16

"New AppleInsider article reportedly uses facts"

Also, I love this part where 930 is slightly less than 1434.

Downhill, downhill this place goes.

• Reply 14 of 16
    corvuscorvus Posts: 12member

Master of The Obvious!

• Reply 15 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by notreallyhere View Post

"New AppleInsider article reportedly uses facts"

Also, I love this part where 930 is slightly less than 1434.

Downhill, downhill this place goes.

Yeah, that's embarrassing.

• Reply 16 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

No.. they aren't close at all.

I didn't think anyone would actually dispute what I said as it was said in a sarcastic tone.  He said nobody can make this but Apple and I said Samsung can because of the fact that they like to design their products as blatant copies of others work.  Don't worry we are not all against you.