Report reaffirms 13" Retina MacBook Pro still on track for 2012 launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35

More trinkets and toys from Apple RE:13" Retina MacBook Pro :-( When will we see a 17" Retina MacBook Pro?

see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4030764?start=0&tstart=0

• Reply 22 of 35
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Cool so no battery misreads?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Nope, no problems at all...

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 23 of 35
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Yeah, because THIS is the slimmer Macbook we asked for, not the 15" model they released. I travel a lot for my job, and I was so excited this spring when it seemed like rumors of a thinner refresh were true (the power of a MBP with the footprint almost reaching MBA size) only to be extremely disappointed when a 13" MBPr was conspicuously absent from the lineup. Though the extra screen area in nice, for someone like me that does 40% of his work with his laptop sitting on a tray table 30k feet in the air, the 15" is just too big.

My experience is that a 13inch MacBook Air is still too big for economy seats :( My wife has an 11" Air, and that seems borderline OK.

• Reply 24 of 35
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by inconnect View Post

More trinkets and toys from Apple RE:13" Retina MacBook Pro :-( When will we see a 17" Retina MacBook Pro?

see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4030764?start=0&tstart=0

don't think you ever will.

I think by dropping the 17" standard MBP in July, Apple made it quite clear that model is done.  it's was a very small margin of people that bought it in the first place from what i read.

• Reply 25 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Yeah, because THIS is the slimmer Macbook we asked for, not the 15" model they released. I travel a lot for my job, and I was so excited this spring when it seemed like rumors of a thinner refresh were true (the power of a MBP with the footprint almost reaching MBA size) only to be extremely disappointed when a 13" MBPr was conspicuously absent from the lineup. Though the extra screen area in nice, for someone like me that does 40% of his work with his laptop sitting on a tray table 30k feet in the air, the 15" is just too big.

I think from what I've read, most people that would take advantage of the Hi-res screen are photographers and graphics pro's.  They only buy the larger display MB's from what i hear, however, like i just said above, the 15" was more dominant even though the 17" was available.

My question is, with a 13" MBP+r eventually being released, you will now have 3 laptops in the 13" category, and two of them are very similar to each other.  Some experts (who's opinion i trust) say that it's more feasible for the flagship MacBook (the 13" MBP) to be retired next year as part of a 2 year slow march towards Retina displays Family-wide adoption.  July 2013 would be a better time to drop the standard Res MBP's.  Getting back to my point, it's going to be a tough call between the purchase of a 13" MBP+R or a 13" MBP for $$$ less with much more flexibility...or the 13" MB-A with a trimmer (yet similar to the MBP+R) form-factor and much much heavier.

Too many choices Apple!  I thought you guys were all about simplifying?

I'm currently looking to get a new 13" but if the MBP+R comes out this month (since the 15" Retina was available at launch in July) that's going to be quite a conundrum for me.  I'd rather get the 11" for travel (since I travel 6 months of the year) but it lacks a SD card reader, and the 13"R is more than I need, but the 13 MBP has the more accurate display for photo editing.

• Reply 26 of 35

If we never see a 17" Retina MBP it will be a shame, as a consultant & software developer screen real estate is paramount. The new 15" Retina MacBook Pro doesn't emulate the equivalent 1920x1200 resolution well, the text appears visibly softer and is not comfortable to work on for long periods coupled with the fact a smaller screen will induce more tiredness and eye strain over a larger one. As a consultant that often works from client sites its not practical to carry around a desktop monitor with the laptop, doing so makes any laptop less portable no matter how small and light it is on its own. Even if it was practical to carry around additional screens a client may not offer the space for a multi monitor setup. The use case for the 17" was that it had all the benefits of an apple desktop machine with the portability. The 17" may have been a lump to some but for some of us it wasn't an issue. The old 17" was no thicker than the old 15" something they should be able to achieve if they made a 17" version of the Retina MBP. Apple customers like me are stuck as we have no comfortable upgrade path, the real estate of the 15" Retina MBP is not enough or comfortable to work on and its not practical to carry around an additional screen or an iMac. Looks like I'll have to make my maxed out 16GB ram Mid 2011 macbook pro last as long as I can. Can't switch to a PC as I need a mac for iOS work and most PC's are more heavy and ugly than the last 17" Unibody Macbook pro ever was. As a professional I upgrade my machine every couple of years and wouldn't mind paying more for a 17" version as I'll earn the expense back. I was hoping to get a new 17" in the summer of 2013, here's hoping apple see sense.

• Reply 27 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, though it's a pipe dream at best.

Despite all the rumors we are getting about a Q4 launch for an iPad mini, we've all been duped by Apple in the past.

Remember...the Gen1 iPad was announced in Jan. 2010 and released in early 2010, despite all the rumors and analysts betting and swearing up and down that it was going to be a Q4 2009 release.

So it would be entirely possible that we won't see the iPad mini until Jan. 2013.

• Reply 28 of 35

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Despite all the rumors we are getting about a Q4 launch for an iPad mini, we've all been duped by Apple in the past.

Remember...the Gen1 iPad was announced in Jan. 2010 and released in early 2010, despite all the rumors and analysts betting and swearing up and down that it was going to be a Q4 2009 release.

RIght. And despite WSJ's repeated confirmations of January 2008, June 2008, January 2009, we saw the iPhone nano in… oh, wait. image

• Reply 29 of 35
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

My experience is that a 13inch MacBook Air is still too big for economy seats :( My wife has an 11" Air, and that seems borderline OK.

Try getting a bulkhead seat if you can. Row 6 on Alaska's 737-800's and 900's. You lose the underseat storage since there's no seat in front of you, but the legroom and work space is almost as good as First Class. They usually stay booked up for elite members, but the hold is released 24 hours before departure, so check in for your flight a day ahead and it should let you grab them.

I tried an 11", but I took it back after a week because I need more screen, and the keys of the MBA's are too shallow for the amount of typing I do, and I'm an old touch typist that's used to clacky mechanical keyboards so I tap hard. After a half hour, my finger joints were sort from bottoming out on that shallow keyboard.

• Reply 30 of 35
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think from what I've read, most people that would take advantage of the Hi-res screen are photographers and graphics pro's.  They only buy the larger display MB's from what i hear, however, like i just said above, the 15" was more dominant even though the 17" was available.

My question is, with a 13" MBP+r eventually being released, you will now have 3 laptops in the 13" category, and two of them are very similar to each other.  Some experts (who's opinion i trust) say that it's more feasible for the flagship MacBook (the 13" MBP) to be retired next year as part of a 2 year slow march towards Retina displays Family-wide adoption.  July 2013 would be a better time to drop the standard Res MBP's.  Getting back to my point, it's going to be a tough call between the purchase of a 13" MBP+R or a 13" MBP for $$$ less with much more flexibility...or the 13" MB-A with a trimmer (yet similar to the MBP+R) form-factor and much much heavier.

Too many choices Apple!  I thought you guys were all about simplifying?

I'm currently looking to get a new 13" but if the MBP+R comes out this month (since the 15" Retina was available at launch in July) that's going to be quite a conundrum for me.  I'd rather get the 11" for travel (since I travel 6 months of the year) but it lacks a SD card reader, and the 13"R is more than I need, but the 13 MBP has the more accurate display for photo editing.

The increased screen resolution would be nice, but honestly, the only aspect I'm really interested in this for is the slimmer form factor and lighter weight. I loved the size of the MBA, but as I mentioned above, that shallow keyboard just didn't cut it for me. I get what you're saying about why they went with the 15" first though, and agree.

As for there being too many choices, I think this is why you'll see the current 13" and 15" unibody discontinued next year, and replaced completely with the rMBP line. There's just no reason to keep them around at this point, other than possibly creating a special Educational Institution only model with special pricing, seeing how so many schools use them now.

• Reply 31 of 35

13" Retina MB "Pro" with Intel crap integrated video card? LOL. No thanks, but good luck to other "Pro" people.

• Reply 32 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mocseg wrote: »
    13" Retina MB "Pro" with Intel crap integrated video card? LOL. No thanks, but good luck to other "Pro" people.

1) You have proof that once the ODD and HDD is removed there will be no room for an dGPU?

2) You have proof that an iGPU can effectively run a 13" RMBP display and that being able to run that 4x as many pixels as it does today would make it "crap"?
  • Reply 33 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) You have proof that once the ODD and HDD is removed there will be no room for an dGPU?

2) You have proof that an iGPU can effectively run a 13" RMBP display and that being able to run that 4x as many pixels as it does today would make it "crap"?

Let's make it this way - if they put an Nvidia 650/640M or similar AMD inside I'd buy at least two right away. But that won't happen.

I expect that "Pro" needs a functional OpenGL card inside. Am I wrong? I'd trade "Retina" Display for an Nvidia 650M any day.

• Reply 34 of 35
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,140member
    solipsismx wrote: »

If you run the current RMBP on the Intel graphics (which it defaults to for most tasks) lots of animations are laggy, especially the resize animation and the ical page flip, I can literally count four or five frames separately. Perhaps the small resolution drop the 13" RMBP would take over the 15" would fix that, but I highly doubt it. Let's await and see.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,275moderator
    tipoo wrote:
    Perhaps the small resolution drop the 13" RMBP would take over the 15" would fix that, but I highly doubt it.

The GPU would need to be about 70-80% of the 650M to perform the same on the 13". The HD4000 is only 30-50%. Given that one of their demos of the display was Diablo 3, I doubt they'd go with the HD4000 or they'd have to give up that demo.

Another thing is that the HD4000 uses part of the system memory. With soldered RAM, it's better having dedicated video memory especially when driving such high resolutions not to mention dual TB ports and HDMI for up to 3 displays. Bear in mind, this will still be a $1499+ machine. I'd expect a 512MB-1GB 640M.