Specs for Samsung's 4" Galaxy S3 Mini fall well short of Apple's iPhone 5

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 120
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Wow! that 4.8" phone is comically large. And judging by the bottom row of icons you aren't gaining any real usability with that larger display for basic usage.

Unless you're a fumble-fingered klutz like me. I can barely manage typing on a full-size keyboard. For me, every character typed on those tiny little iPhone keys is like threading another needle!

• Reply 102 of 120
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

AI's side-by-side is not to scale, as another poster mentioned. I believe it was intentionally done to be misleading since it appears someone at AI altered the original source image, linked here:

http://mobilegeeks.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Galaxy-S3-Mini-vs-Galaxy-S3.jpg

I've no idea why some writers feel the need to stoop to dishonesty. They don't do the forum members any favor by giving them faked images. I think we're all adult enough here to handle facts and judge for ourselves.

See there are things called watermarks, so I was looking at the picture you claim AI "doctored" and I was thinking "how did they do that and keep the watermark intact?"

When I noticed something about the picture in the link you posted:-

So who "altered the original source image"?

BUSTED

• Reply 103 of 120
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm confused why AI's following this particular model. It's just another 'midrange' device. Who called it a flagship? :confused:

This looks more like a sequel to the old international Galaxy W. I'll bet this won't ever even come to the US. Sounds like people can't see the forest through the trees.

Unlike you who is a visionary.

I think its up to AI to determine what should be followed, if you are unhappy, simply don't read.

I like to scoff at the latest and greatest android garbage.

• Reply 104 of 120

Deleted

• Reply 105 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Well of course it looks big. You're looking at it on a big monitor! ;-P

EDIT: I didn't recall seeing a side by side size comparison at AI with the iPhone5 and S3. There's one here if anyone's curious.

http://1.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-iphone-5-display.jpg

Are you for real ?

I know you are trying to be funny, but you fail big time.

The images are to scale, are you refuting this ? If so, give us a link (like you always do), maybe even 5 or 10, I have nothing better to do today than to read them all.

• Reply 106 of 120

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

BUSTED

GetPaidOffToPhotoshopTheirLudicrouslyHugePhonesSmallergate.

• Reply 107 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I thought specs werent important for Apple fans.

It's about the ecosystem and the apps, remember?

0.5" difference between iPhone 4S and 5.

0.8" difference between GS mini and GS3.

Obviously, the picture is not drawn to scale.

Can I give you some good advice, stop being so condescending.

Really ?  Can you prove it ?

Send a screen shot (you know the wonderful palm swipe) with a ruler.

• Reply 108 of 120
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

GetPaidOffToPhotoshopTheirLudicrouslyHugePhonesSmallergate.

I've no idea why some posters feel the need to stoop to dishonesty. They don't do the forum members any favor by giving them faked images. I think we're all adult enough here to handle facts and judge for ourselves.

????????

• Reply 109 of 120
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    See there are things called watermarks, so I was looking at the picture you claim AI "doctored" and I was thinking "how did they do that and keep the watermark intact?"

LL

LL

[SIZE=48px]BUSTED[/SIZE]

Good eye there bro
  • Reply 110 of 120
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    AI's side-by-side is not to scale, as another poster mentioned. I believe it was intentionally done to be misleading since it appears someone at AI altered the original source image, linked here:
    http://mobilegeeks.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Galaxy-S3-Mini-vs-Galaxy-S3.jpg

I've no idea why some writers feel the need to stoop to dishonesty. They don't do the forum members any favor by giving them faked images. I think we're all adult enough here to handle facts and judge for ourselves.

hill60's post shows clear proof that the image you posted is not the original. It doesn't exclude AI's photo as being faked but it certainly puts a lot of doubt since the image you link to was clear faked to make the size disparity seem less severe.

What I don't understand is why people simply don't own up to liking to their big ass phones. One could simply say, "Yeah, it's a little too big but I prefer it over the smaller options" or "I know it's not for everyone but I love my big phone" or "[Android 3.x]'s big (yeah yeah yeah). It's not small (no no no)."

I've never seen anyone buy a big ass pickup truck and then argue that it's really not that much bigger than a sportscar and use doctored photos to prove it. I have no need for an oversized pickup with truck nuts, but there are certainly different needs out there... shoveling shit comes to mind :D

In the words of the prophets Bel, Biv, and Devoe. "Never trust a big butt and a smile."
  • Reply 111 of 120
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

what your post is lacking:

-common sense;

-logic;

-knowledge.

The S3 is inferior to the iphone 5 in every single way. fact.

You're just proving his point...

• Reply 112 of 120
    jivanile wrote: »

I just went from ICS to Jelly Bean and yesterday with 3 hours left in my shift at work my battery died on me.  That was the first time that has happened to me.  Was running exact same things I normally run when I had ICS on it.  wifi on, mobil data on, screen on lowest brightness (off most of the time while in my pocket anyway) and every other setting turned off.  All I did was periodically check baseball scores on Yahoo sportacular app and no other apps open in background.  Had close to 75% charge when I arrived which is around the norm from when I usually get up and go to work with some use.  I know it's a custom ROM but it has a lot less bloatware and system stuff running in the background.  I fail to understand how it's more efficient other than it's suppose to be lag free which I do not feel a difference as it still lags.

This usually happens with unstable ROMs. Two things might be happening, either there is a ,memory leak, or your phone is not going into deep sleep mode. There are CPU analyzing apps that can help you pinpoint the problem.

Initially Android creates a database, so initially android can lag while its building the database, that can also be killing your battery. There are several factors, but you should always check the op post from the dev who built the ROM to see what bugs have been reported. You can't expect xda ROMs to work like official ones.
  • Reply 113 of 120
    It's possible that it's their response to the iPod Touch.

This ^^^
  • Reply 114 of 120

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

This ^^^

But they already have make a PMP that has no phone or cellular data and doesn't require $2,000 payment over the course of two years.

• Reply 115 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

BUSTED

I see that at the source image. It's certainly probable that the source for the AI story corrected the scale comparison (sloppily I might add) after AI had already grabbed and used the incorrect one with the exaggerated size differences. The photo credit under AI's image takes you here, bottom of the page, to what is obviously the corrected scale image:

http://mobilegeeks.de/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-alle-spezifikationen-erstes-foto/

My apologies to the AI author. 

EDIT: Here's an image of the incorrect scale of the the pic in the AI story alongside the correct scale per measurements.

• Reply 116 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

It's possible that it's their response to the iPod Touch.

Samsung's equivalent to the iPod Touch is intended to be the Galaxy Player.

• Reply 117 of 120
    That's quite ugly, if you ask me. Even if you don't.
  • Reply 118 of 120
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Even the 4.8"'s specs fall well short of those from the I5. 

^this^

Well except in weight: the SIII IS 20% greater in weight!

• Reply 119 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

hill60's post shows clear proof that the image you posted is not the original. It doesn't exclude AI's photo as being faked but it certainly puts a lot of doubt since the image you link to was clear faked to make the size disparity seem less severe.

What I don't understand is why people simply don't own up to liking to their big ass phones.

To both of you:

The only way to fix a fake is to fake the fake.

The scale between phones in the original picture was clearly not right (that is what I call severe disparity). Gatorguy just went to such extent and found a fixed image for you guys, which could have been done by AI in the first place.

"... to make the size disparity seem less severe"

What? - Here is another way to put it:

"...to make the size comparison exactly on scale!!!"

You should have just said thanx. ;)

BTW I extremely like my big ass phone ;) and no it is not S3.

• Reply 120 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

One thing is for certain however. They will declare it vastly superior to the iPhone 5

Who are "they"?

And when this phone is released, I really hope you can find some articles out there talk about how 'vastly superior' it is because I do not think you will find one.  If you do, it will be from some loyal to a fault Android person who refuses to admit that iPhone is one of the top smartphones out there.

The SIII mini targets a different market segment and while the specs fall short of it's bigger brother and the iPhone 5 (gasp!! I said it), it is no slouch and will offer many people what they need out of a smartphone.