Apple PC shipments reach new high of 13.6% despite contracting global market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that. A Bugatti Veyron is a car... but it's not just a car.
    Note that if we want to call all personal computing devices 'PCs', which is technically accurate, we can't then say that Macs aren't 'PCs' because there is an association with WInPCs.

I know, I know. I just come from the era when a PC (then XT etc) was a ™ of IBM and not something from Apple
  • Reply 22 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What I'd like to know is where are people buying these Lenovo PCs at? ThinkPads I've seen but not desktops.

Portables, laptops and netbook all are counted along with desktops as PeeCees. So you can bet that Apple's iMacs to MBAs are among the above numbers too.

• Reply 23 of 44
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It's a Scamsung attack on AI I'm sure.

Meanwhile enough with referring to Macs as PCs!

I totally agree, a Mac is NOT a pc. Such an insult.

• Reply 24 of 44
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

]

Make that 3'( I thought u only liked iThingys)

Are you going to buy 3 like Daharder ?

• Reply 25 of 44
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

So where, AI, did Apple rank on the world chart?  It's not in the Gartner article you linked, but with your vast resources (or anyone on the forum's own), you or someone should know.

Just curious. It is the only missing relevant in context stat missing.....

• Reply 26 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Did you post from the main page? Currently no posts from appleinsider.com are accepted. They're just lost in the aether. Huddler is working on a fix, and it should be repaired tomorrow.

*cough*

Yeah. That's what happened.
  • Reply 27 of 44

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

So where, AI, did Apple rank on the world chart?  It's not in the Gartner article you linked, but with your vast resources (or anyone on the forum's own), you or someone should know.

Still something like 7%, isn't it?

• Reply 28 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Weren't they in the top 5 worldwide in a previous quarter?
  • Reply 29 of 44

Can't wait for Apple to release a new Mac Pro to put the rest of the industry out of it's misery.

There's still a window of opportunity there for Apple to conquer desktops while the laptop market grows.

• Reply 30 of 44
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Weren't they in the top 5 worldwide in a previous quarter?

Well, it could be 7 or up to 7.2, but it has to be less than 7.3%, since that's Asus' #5 share (and they only list the top five in each chart).  So based on your encyclopedic histories here, between 6 and 7.2% seems about right, unless someone's gone deeper into the constituents of "Others" and can be more exact.  

It'd also be interesting to see if their growth (or shrinkage) in raw shipments paralleled or - as I expect, since they're still just ramping up in many countries - exceeded their relative strength in the US Market. 
  • Reply 31 of 44
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Just switched over to MBA 13" 2012 from MBP 13" 2010. O. M. G. It doesn't even seem like a computer, it's like a piece of silverware, and somehow a computer as well. Butter smooth, driving 27" LED Cinema as well.

RIP Steve, you left too soon.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that. A Bugatti Veyron is a car... but it's not just a car.
    Note that if we want to call all personal computing devices 'PCs', which is technically accurate, we can't then say that Macs aren't 'PCs' because there is an association with WInPCs.

Pfft. Gallardo LP FTW.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    There is pent-up demand for for the new 13" MacBook Pro with Retina screen as well as for the new iMac. When these arrive, we should see a big spike in demand for Apple products. I don't think Windows 8 is eagerly anticipated. I agree that a lacklustre new MS OS would only help drive conversion to OSX. In all scenarios, I see OSX gaining market share.

When Haswell processors arrive in Apple's laptop line-up, we should see a further sales spike, especially if claims of 10-hour battery life are lived up to. In the longer-term, however, Apple's laptop range will mature and so will both the iPhone and iPad. In fact, I already wonder what iPad 4 is going to offer that will make it a 'must have' upgrade.

In 12-18 months time we will need to see the next 'game-changing' innovation from Apple. This will be the real test for Tim Cook and his team.
  • Reply 34 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Meanwhile enough with referring to Macs as PCs!

What are they saying is that Apple computers are PCs just like all other dull little boxes.

What are they saying is that Apple PCs consumers aren't special.

Hilarious!

"But will Apple sue it?"

• Reply 35 of 44
    Personnaly, I believe the iPad and various other Android iPad clones are PCs. It would be interesting to see what the totals are if you include them.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mocseg wrote: »
    What are they saying is that Apple computers are PCs just like all other dull little boxes.
    What are they saying is that Apple PCs consumers aren't special.
    Hilarious!
    "But will Apple sue it?"

Yeah, that's exactly what they are saying¡ You are really pathetic at your attempts at trolling.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Unfortunately for us Mac users Apple doesn't care about the Mac anymore. The iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro weren't updated this year.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    unhsmitty wrote: »
    Personnaly, I believe the iPad and various other Android iPad clones are PCs. It would be interesting to see what the totals are if you include them.

That's been done. If you include the iPad, Apple is the #1 computer vendor in the world.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    mactmact Posts: 26member
    In all of these analyses it is worth remembering that roughly 70% of PCs are in businesses (mostly very low end machines), and are of little interest for the average consumer. Looking at the numbers for USA and Europe the overall Mac use is about 12%, which roughly translates to about 40% home use. This fits well with the estimate that 40% of college students are buying Macs.
  • Reply 40 of 44

Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Unfortunately for us Mac users Apple doesn't care about the Mac anymore. The iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro weren't updated this year.

So I guess the MacBook family is just chopped liver.