Google's Schmidt says Apple and Android struggle is the 'defining fight in the industry today'

245678

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 155

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post



    I don't really see how this is a "struggle" from Apple's standpoint: these are two platforms that cater to a very different set of demographics. Android caters to the less well-off, freeloading, more techy/nerdy segment of the market while Apple goes for the opposite.

    Apple should simply let Google have its low-enders.

    All Apple should worry about is making sure there is sufficient room for growth left both in market expansion and the replacement market (for those whom it already has as a customer). Apple currently seems to have no problems with either. Indeed it's the opposite: people cannot seem to get enough of -- and Apple cannot make enough of -- any new product.

    If there is a struggle, it's almost entirely over theft.


    I will second the above post. I never know what to expect from you however I can expect you to always be an asshole. With that being said I believe the iPhone 4 can be had for free with a contract. The iPhone 4s for 99.00. A iPhone 5 for a wallet breaking 199.00. No different than the price point of most Android smartphones. With regards to a struggle the fact is Steve Jobs spent most of his career seen as a failure in the shadow of Bill Gates. Now that Apple is #1 doesn't mean they will stay their forever. When you are at the top there is only one direction. 


     


    Maybe you are well off when it comes to the wallet, certainly not between the ears

  • Reply 22 of 155

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post





    Actually, if you look at demographics, iPhone users have a substantially higher median household income than Android users.

    http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2012/10/sorry-samsung-iphone-is-not-your-mothers-smartphone.php


    We all know that is true however no need for that ass bag to call a group of people freeloaders based on their technology choice. He would be the first to go crying to a moderator if someone made a comment about race or ethnicity. 

  • Reply 23 of 155
    I swear, Eric Schmidt IS Rosemary's baby ...
  • Reply 24 of 155

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post



    I don't really see how this is a "struggle" from Apple's standpoint: these are two platforms that cater to a very different set of demographics. Android caters to the less well-off, freeloading, more techy/nerdy segment of the market while Apple goes for the opposite.

    Apple should simply let Google have its low-enders.

    All Apple should worry about is making sure there is sufficient room for growth left both in market expansion and the replacement market (for those whom it already has as a customer). Apple currently seems to have no problems with either. Indeed it's the opposite: people cannot seem to get enough of -- and Apple cannot make enough of -- any new product.

    If there is a struggle, it's almost entirely over theft.


     


    This does not make any sense. You are aware of that. First of all. Android is sold at more price points then the iPhone. Apple primarily targets the high end market. As a result majority of their sells are going to be in the high end market. Android as an OS is sold at all price points. Android caters to all users. Apple caters to a just one part of the market. 

  • Reply 25 of 155
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member


    When asked what he thought about the situation, Schmidt snidely said, "Apple should have kept with our maps," a remark echoing the sentiments he offered shortly after iOS Maps launched in September.

    Mossberg cut in to say that Google neglected to keep "feature parity" between Android's mapping app and its iOS counterpart. More directly, built-in turn-by-turn navigation was mentioned, alluding to a feature some have averred to be the reason why Apple switched to its own mapping solution.

    "We negotiated all these details with Apple, and the fact of the matter is they decided a long time ago to do their own maps," Schmidt countered. "I think what Apple has learned is that maps are really hard. I think they really are hard."

    He noted that Google spent "hundreds of millions of dollars" in data gathering for its mapping solution, which includes satellite, plane and "drive-by" information.


    Google neglected to keep "feature parity" between Android's mapping app and its iOS counterpart.  So there it is.  Google forced Apple to develop its own Map's.  When your at the top you become a really big target don't you?  Don't worry.  Apple will come out on top again.  And yes Apple will be the target of criticism again.  


     


    Apple's iOS devices are far more compatible with its iOS upgrades than android.  Android eliminates its devices far quicker then Apple does with it's iDevices.

  • Reply 26 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

     

    This does not make any sense. You are aware of that. First of all. Android is sold at more price points then the iPhone. Apple primarily targets the high end market. As a result majority of their sells are going to be in the high end market. Android as an OS is sold at all price points. Android caters to all users. Apple caters to a just one part of the market. 



    So all those people who stand in those mile long queues are "just one part of the market"? LOL
  • Reply 27 of 155

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    "If you had to be a CEO again, would you choose Apple, Amazon or Facebook?" Schmidt responded dryly, "Which one has the most cash? Would be Apple."




    This scumbag of a Schmidt should be gagged, shot, and hanged. If cash is how he decides on a company, he's clearly so much full of shit.

  • Reply 28 of 155
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Funny, I don't remember Judas boasting to the people after the crucifixion. What a bloody scumbag.
  • Reply 29 of 155
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    spacerays wrote: »

    This scumbag of a Schmidt should be gagged, shot, and hanged. If cash is how he decides on a company, he's clearly so much full of shit.

    Bingo. Scumbag is too nice a word. What an absolute tosser. How can he sleep at night, betraying Apple like that, while he was on the Board as well. Apple should sue him into oblivion instead of wasting time on Samsung.
  • Reply 30 of 155
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,825member


    The company with the most cash? That's just another way of asking which company is more focused.

  • Reply 31 of 155


    Depends on what the focus is. Like Exxon Mobil focuses on sucking the most oil and the mafia on money. 

  • Reply 32 of 155


    Orange is the new green (expresses insincerity).

  • Reply 33 of 155


    Ditto, Can't imagine why Apple has not sued Schmit (aka S_h_it) for breach of contract. There has got to be terms in the Board of Directors agreements which prohibit the theft of company secrets. Schmit clearly passed on information to Google management, in effect stealing. 

  • Reply 34 of 155
    It's funny that people get so emotional and partisan about all this, but in a good way. Go team Apple! Boo to Google!
  • Reply 35 of 155
    It's funny that people get so emotional and partisan about all this, but in a good way. Go team Apple! Boo to Google!
  • Reply 36 of 155
    I don't know if Google maps are better maps, but they sure got more data in them. Apple's maps look they used some dataset around the time of the Civil War. Once you've had Street View there's no going back. I understand why Apple gave up Google Maps, but Apple had better spend some money and get more data in their maps, pronto. Go to the Russian military and pay a billion dollars for some high resolution satellite images.

    Its weird why Wall Street thinks only Apple loses if Google Maps aren't available for iOS. I'm sure Google loses a lot, too.
  • Reply 37 of 155
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,618member
    Mr. Schmidt, are you able to differentiate Chrome installations by users that directly downloaded your Chrome package and those installations that were sneakily included in other programs and defaulted to download outside of the user's direct knowledge?

    I've removed Chrome on so many PC's that users had no idea what is was for, and how it got on their machines. I consider Chrome more crapware than software simply because of how devious it gets put on people's computers.

    Shame on Google, andth vendors that included package in their software as a default download.
  • Reply 38 of 155
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    I'm getting tired of AI showing the less detailed Apple Maps screen shot. Why are they supporting the enemy?
    I get the same level of detail as Google maps when I pinch to zoom.
    Apple simply shows what it thinks is the correct level of detail initially, how is this wrong?
    I prefer this approach and understand why they did so.
    Come on AI stop pissing people off, it's almost like click-bait.
    All it does is get the trolls frothing at the mouth with eagerness to derail the thread.
  • Reply 39 of 155
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    I don't know if Google maps are better maps, but they sure got more data in them. Apple's maps look they used some dataset around the time of the Civil War. Once you've had Street View there's no going back. I understand why Apple gave up Google Maps, but Apple had better spend some money and get more data in their maps, pronto. Go to the Russian military and pay a billion dollars for some high resolution satellite images.
    Its weird why Wall Street thinks only Apple loses if Google Maps aren't available for iOS. I'm sure Google loses a lot, too.

    They do not, its the initial default level of detail. Zoom in and you get the same.
    I blame AI for your silly post. Please do a little research.
  • Reply 40 of 155
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Mr. Schmidt, are you able to differentiate Chrome installations by users that directly downloaded your Chrome package and those installations that were sneakily included in other programs and defaulted to download outside of the user's direct knowledge?
    I've removed Chrome on so many PC's that users had no idea what is was for, and how it got on their machines. I consider Chrome more crapware than software simply because of how devious it gets put on people's computers.
    Shame on Google, andth vendors that included package in their software as a default download.

    I agree. Although I feel it's actually malware as its installed without the users authorization and calls home to google. Does this not meet the definition of malware? If it does then why are they not investigated and brought to justice?
Sign In or Register to comment.