Teardown of Apple's new iPod touch finds 512MB of RAM, weaker home button than iPhone 5

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    v5v wrote: »
    For perspective:

Last Christmas our daughter asked if we would consider paying half to buy her hubby a Touch. She felt that since she had never filled her 8GB Nano in three years of owning it, 8GB was more than enough for his needs.

Since an 8GB Touch was $200 we bought it.  If our only choice had been a $300 32GB model, we would almost certainly have declined.  While 32GB for $300 is a better value than 8GB for $200, it's just more than we would have been prepared to spend.  I suspect that for most young people (the obvious market), a 50% increase in the price of admission will be a deterrent.
    I agree completely. If it was $199 for 8gb- or maybe even $229- I'd buy one. $299- thanks but no thanks. Apple will be fine without my single purchase- but I am 100% and unequivocally a sale that could've been but now isn't.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »

When I went to buy my iPhone I tried to get a 16GB. I've had the highest capacity every time but simply don't use that much even with my 1.6GB TomTom app installed. They only had 64GB models so I bought it. I've checked back periodically (I live pretty much next door to an Apple Store) and they have still been out. It's not been 3 weeks so I think I'll be stuck with the 64GB model but I really don't need it.

But I thought you always bought the largest, simply because you've never cleaned out your iTunes library. I actually have to wait the whole 3-4 weeks for my 64 to arrive, which I choose because my 4 was always filled to the max with its 32GB.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    "If that's what Apple has planned for a smaller iPad why bother?"

Because an iPod touch has better portability and is thus essentially always available. A mini tablet has a screen that works better for extended reading but you won't always have it with you. Of course there is also the one handed versus two handed issue but I would include that in the "always available" factor.
  • Reply 64 of 64

I guess an iPad mini announcement is possible, but I don't understand why.

Isn't the new iPod Touch already a mini iPad 2?