Leaked iMac parts suggest Apple set to release new model with thinner design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 139
    Apple are in despite need to update the iMac, it needs a massive spec bump for a high end machine the current models have a mid range spec.

Top end i7's and SSD's across the board are needed urgently.
  • Reply 22 of 139
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    dhagan4755 wrote: »
    Umm hello? iMacs haven't been updated in over a year.  They are WAY past needing an update.  The chips have been available for like 6 months now.  So Apple should update the iMacs ASAP.

They should've been updated 6 months ago. Apple is really taking the piss with this cycle. Anyone buying a current generation iMac is getting shafted.
  • Reply 23 of 139
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

They should've been updated 6 months ago. Apple is really taking the piss with this cycle. Anyone buying a current generation iMac is getting shafted.

I love going to the Apple Retail store and seeing these guys walking out with their prized iMac purchase and the clueless expression - iMac! Major! Score! Baby! But they probably won't notice when the new ones come out next month so ignorance is bliss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If they don't plan to update the Mac Pro until Xeon Haswell, they can enjoy being mystified when sales of this model, already two years old, stop existing.

That's ok. When they do release them they will start at $12,000 and enough people will buy them to make it worthwhile. image

• Reply 24 of 139
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    carthusia wrote: »
    Needing an update? Hmm, let me try to wrap my head around that.

You think significant numbers have jumped ship to Windows or Linux because iMacs have not been updated? Declinig PC sales would indicate otherwise. Apple's been focusing on products where they have the greatest demand and most competitive pressure. It just makes sense. Tech geeks and pros may be losing sleep as a result of untimely updates, but smart Apple consumers have not been limping along with systems so old as to be unusable with modern applications. 

Exactly. It's time for the people whining about computer updates to get it through their heads - performance is no longer the driving factor for the average home or small business computer user (the iMac's target). Even entry level computers are fast enough that they're no longer the limiting factor in productivity - and the 10-20% speed gain from newer chips are not as overwhelming as it once was. Look at how much the computer market has slowed down. It's not just the economy - the sales didn't drop off that much in previous recessions. People just aren't begging for faster chips at the desktop level any more (professional and server applications are, of course, different).
  • Reply 25 of 139
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    What's with the obsession with thinness? Weight! While it's not everything (Everything Apple would be plastic), thinner makes it lighter which saves on material (like the aluminum), packaging and shipping. I just hope they don't start gluing iMacs together like iPads.
  • Reply 26 of 139
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

Apple are in despite need to update the iMac, it needs a massive spec bump for a high end machine the current models have a mid range spec.

Top end i7's and SSD's across the board are needed urgently.

No they don't.  Only spec-heads say that.  Nice try in implying that there is some "perceived" urgency.  Even the current iMacs are still a heckuva lot better than similar offering from the competitors.

Now don't get me wrong, I am one of those waiting for the next release.  While I'm not necessarily a "spec-head" anymore since most PC's are generally fast enough for most regular use, I do want to stay right at the most current iteration simply because I can.

However, I will await the cue from "Oh don't ever buy the 1st generation of a new model even though the iMac is how old now?" whiners...

• Reply 27 of 139

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I just hope they don't start gluing iMacs together like iPads.

Like it's a cakewalk to get inside one now!

You realize the iMac will soon use SSD sticks and soldered RAM like the MacBook Pro, right? Gotta get that in your mind early.

• Reply 28 of 139
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    carthusia wrote: »
    I want the iMac to be as thin as possible without losing functionality. Apple wants to lose weight and volume on all their products if they can do so while gaining, or at least not losing, functionality. It's simply more profitable to do so.

Also, maybe it's just me, but iMacs and Mac Pros are really heavy and look positively chunky. 

Since they are supposed to be static, it shouldn't be priority.

I'd prefer desktop with powerful graphics and processing (to average but thin one), and quiet operations - all of which require good cooling, which requires space for adequate heatsink and fan.
  • Reply 29 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Making it like an upright MBA when closed seems like a natural progression. I can't wait because I'm quite ready for an iMac. I guess it's time to buy a desk and desk chair.
  • Reply 30 of 139

I don't care if it's thinner or not.  As long as they get one out the soonest!  It's been too long for an update.

Of course they make more money on mobile stuffs.  But there is still a big demand and some loyal customer for the desktop family!

New iMacs for October or November would make me very happy.  (I wish I would become thinner too...haha!)

• Reply 31 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Umm hello? iMacs haven't been updated in over a year.  They are WAY past needing an update.  The chips have been available for like 6 months now.  So Apple should update the iMacs ASAP.

OMG OMG OMG APPLEZ LOOZING THE CPU SPECS RACE DELL IS WINNINGGGG

• Reply 32 of 139
    I am beginning to worry that someone on the design board with apple may be anorexic..Otherwise the topic of thin would not be constantly coming up.. I am going to call McDonalds and send them over some big macs and frech fries
  • Reply 33 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pianopoet wrote: »
    I am beginning to worry that someone on the design board with apple may be anorexic..Otherwise the topic of thin would not be constantly coming up.. I am going to call McDonalds and send them over some big macs and frech fries
    Hmm...maybe it's one of the guys in the back...

Apple-Design-Team-DADawards.jpg
  • Reply 34 of 139
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I just read the title but before I read the rest
    HURRAY!!!
    I can't even begin to express my happiness to this news, I wanted to buy a new iMac this year, but feared the probable redesign next year.
    Now I can buy this.
    I'm happy.
  • Reply 35 of 139
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    The obsession with thin for the iMac is grossly overdone. A much better use of their engineering time would be making opening the damn thing up easier. It should not be easier to upgrade my laptop than my desktop.
  • Reply 36 of 139
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Thinner consumer tech always plays well, aesthetically. "Lighter and thinner" is a big deal. Why shouldn't it be?

It's a big draw for the bulk of the market. It doesn't take a lot to see why.

It's time to accept that and move on. 

• Reply 37 of 139
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

The obsession with thin for the iMac is grossly overdone. A much better use of their engineering time would be making opening the damn thing up easier. It should not be easier to upgrade my laptop than my desktop.

Don't worry -- Apple is well on their way to making future laptops impossible to upgrade.    I expect them to do the same thing to the next iMac.    And they'll probably remove the DVD/CD-ROM drive there as well even though there is absolutely no reason to do so and plenty of reasons not to.   Apple's decided we should only use iTunes.   

• Reply 38 of 139
    Thinner HD TVs seem to sell well. Besides, how else will Apple redesign the iMac unless they go with a different material?
  • Reply 39 of 139

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm...maybe it's one of the guys in the back...

Well, they say black is very slimming.

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Now I can buy this.

Because you certainly can't now.

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

…remove the DVD/CD-ROM drive there as well even though there is absolutely no reason to do so…

Enjoy 1995.

Apple's decided we should only use iTunes.   

Because there's absolutely no other way to get a DVD to be viewed on a computer unless it has an internal DVD drive. No one has ever found a solution for that ever so pressing problem.

• Reply 40 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They're also known for doing it wrong. See most of the Intel iMacs. Laptop chips, anyone? Though I imagine that if they've been waiting all this time for laptop Ivy Bridge chips to further dumb down the iMac for the sake of thickness, digital torches and pitchforks will be carried… 

Haven't iMacs been available with Desktop class chips for several years now?  Not Xeon server class, but desktop class.  That's my understanding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If they don't plan to update the Mac Pro until Xeon Haswell, they can enjoy being mystified when sales of this model, already two years old, stop existing.

I'm not sure what choice they have. The IveyBridge Xeon clips don't support USB3 or Thunderbold.  This is why I'm confused why anyone was surprised there wasn't a MacPro update this year.  If they'd updated and not had USB3 or TB, I think they would have been crucified even more than they were.