Apple hires Amazon executive to head its Siri search team

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Turn off ""personal" results" (inner pair of quotation marks mine). The first fifty results then become YouTube videos. Put "-youtube" in the search. Now the top results are dozens of pages from the same website, pushing variety out of the picture.

I even use Bing now. Never gonna use Google to search again, given that nonsense.

Try out http://www.bingiton.com

It brings up the results of a google and Bing search side-by-side. After a few searches you get a drift of the differences between brand B and brand G.

• Reply 22 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Try out http://www.bingiton.com

It brings up the results of a google and Bing search side-by-side. After a few searches you get a drift of the differences between brand B and brand G.

Hmm, my Safari defaults to http://www.bing.com/. A pity, wanted to try it out.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    At most Apple can do is remove Google search from being the default option. That's it. They can't remove Google search as one of the options, it's just going to invite lawsuits that Apple likely can't win.

While I agree that it's unlikely that Apple would completely remove the Google search option, the rest of your post doesn't make any sense.

What grounds would there be for anyone to sue Apple for eliminating the Google search option? Apple is free to add or remove any features they wish. But please feel free to show exactly what grounds anyone would have to file a lawsuit - much less win one.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Turn off ""personal" results" (inner pair of quotation marks mine). The first fifty results then become YouTube videos. Put "-youtube" in the search. Now the top results are dozens of pages from the same website, pushing variety out of the picture.

I even use Bing now. Never gonna use Google to search again, given that nonsense.

Why would you want to turn off "personal results"? Just curious.

EDIT: My wife did a search last night after finding a tick on our dog. I just compared the results of "How do I remove a tick" doing a Google search and a Bing search. I've no idea what your complaint is about TS. It must be about shopping perhaps? If so I'd think I'd rather prefer "personal results".

• Reply 25 of 30

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I want the best answer. I don't want a paid placement answer. I don't want an answer they think that I want to see. I tell them what I want to see, every time. 

• Reply 26 of 30

Quote:

I want the best answer. I don't want a paid placement answer. I don't want an answer they think that I want to see. I tell them what I want to see, every time. 

The best answer wouldn't oft-times be the one that aligns with your previous search history? I suppose if you're specific enough the first time or don't mind doing another search with more information to get the results you really expect then "personal results" is an unneeded shortcut. Personally I don't see the issue. For example most AI members visit AI because they're interested in Apple and it's products, "personal results" so to speak. Most have no interest in visiting an Android site so including Android forums in search results isn't what they want. I suspect you're in that same group for the most part, correct? In that case the "best" answer, as in most honest or least-biased, may not be the one you really wanted. Now if "best" instead means most appropriate results based on your interests...

• Reply 27 of 30

The best answer wouldn't oft-times be the one that aligns with your previous search history?

Eh, you'd think so, but I have that off. History, that is. So Google is either lying to me about having my history off, which makes me not want to do business with them, or they're tracking where I go with their cancerous click tracker ad services on every website, which I have blocked with extensions, so they're bypassing them, which makes me not want to do business with them, or they're getting my "personal results" based on other users in the same area as me, which has always reported itself incorrectly, and I'm unable to change it, which makes me not want to do business with them.

Bing gives me cleaner, better results. I've moved for good, and not just because of inaccurate search (which I only could have discovered after a move).

• Reply 28 of 30
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

EDIT: My wife did a search last night after finding a tick on our dog. I just compared the results of "How do I remove a tick" doing a Google search and a Bing search. I've no idea what your complaint is about TS. It must be about shopping perhaps? If so I'd think I'd rather prefer "personal results".

Quote:

Quote:

The best answer wouldn't oft-times be the one that aligns with your previous search history? I suppose if you're specific enough the first time or don't mind doing another search with more information to get the results you really expect then "personal results" is an unneeded shortcut. Personally I don't see the issue. For example most AI members visit AI because they're interested in Apple and it's products, "personal results" so to speak. Most have no interest in visiting an Android site so including Android forums in search results isn't what they want. I suspect you're in that same group for the most part, correct? In that case the "best" answer, as in most honest or least-biased, may not be the one you really wanted. Now if "best" instead means most appropriate results based on your interests...

Beyond the paid placements and prioritization of  Google properties, if you want to live inside the "filter bubble effect" and start to get trapped in your own set of perceptions,  let Google be your guide.  No thanks for me - I now use  Duckduckgo about 60-70% of the time: https://duckduckgo.com/about

• Reply 29 of 30

DuckDuckGo is a fine option for a lot of searches, and they have a good following apparently. It very obviously doesn't offer some of the features Google does, but it doesn't make the money they do to afford them either. If you know you can find what you want with DDG then why not try it? For me I haven't had issues with Google Search and never found DDG to return more appropriate results for the few searches I tested them with. To the contrary it took longer to get what I wanted in some cases. For certain other searches they can't be used at all. DuckDuckGo is also much less forgiving when any search terms are misspelled and honestly requires more thought/planning to find what I intended. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is I haven't seen any reason to waste time with multiple search engines if I've found one like Google's that nearly always give me the results I need.

Just for giggles try a simple search on both:

"How many countries are covered by Apple maps". You might see what I mean.

• Reply 30 of 30

Any thoughts on the implications of Facebook's new Graph search?