Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign

Comments

• Reply 81 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Apple never advertised the iPad by running ads about the Smart Cover

They did advertise the Smart Cover by running an ad about the Smart Cover...

• Reply 82 of 145
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Except, one of the classic ads of all time was a blank billboard that said:
    Coming Soon.

I don't get the reference and Google Images was no help.

It was for the VW Bug, in the 1970s.... After about a month, the "Coming Soon" ads were replaced with something like "Watch This Space"... Then, later... "We're Here".

In those days, it was like watching [for] the next episode of a serial at the Saturday movies... Today, a TV miniseries.

P.S. Google doesn't know everything... Some of us old farts remember before TV.
  • Reply 83 of 145
    I already feel the Glee. Microsoft wants to be more like Apple. Look out Apple, you're in big trouble. The Microsoft hipsters on on their way.

/s
  • Reply 84 of 145
    solipsismx wrote: »
    charlituna wrote: »
    Apple never advertised the iPad by running ads about the Smart Cover

They did advertise the Smart Cover by running an ad about the Smart Cover...

Yes, thanks for the link. I remember posting a comment at the time, that people would buy an iPad just to get the iCover!
  • Reply 85 of 145
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Microsoft: "Look how hard we're working to try and look cool and stuff!"

Audience: "What the heck are all those rectangles on those Windows Slates?"

• Reply 86 of 145
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And I thought Fandroids were bad....the MS trolls that have infested the tech sites are 1000x worse! http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57532921-71/microsofts-new-surface-tv-ad-its-surface-deep/

And I find it hilarious that MS fanboys are comparing this to the iPod silhouette ads. iPod is a portable music player. Showing people dancing to music they just bought off iTunes made sense. And using black silhouettes to show off the white iPod and headphones was pure genius. When those ads came out people knew what iPod was. Apple didn't need ads to explain how to use the device. The average Joe probably knows very little about Surface. This ad made it seem more like a fashion accessory than anything else.
  • Reply 87 of 145
    Why don't they show some of the things that the device can do?
    I guess that would not be as impressive.

Keyboard on a tablet with a flip stand? No thanks.
    MS never learns as demonstrated by their predilection for NetBook devices.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 88 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The keyboard is ready for one-handed web browsing sessions.

So it's not a tablet but a faplet?

• Reply 89 of 145

galley wrote: »
    That hipster dude needs to wash his hair, and those schoolgirls were downright creepy!
    I would have loved, if the scoolgirl part would have been played by Steve Ballmer.

The rest... Well not my style, as other posters already stated there is no hint in this ad, that shows for what exactly anybodt might need such a tablet. I believe, not everybody needs a device for table dancing.
  • Reply 90 of 145
    rogifan wrote: »
    And I thought Fandroids were bad....the MS trolls that have infested the tech sites are 1000x worse! http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57532921-71/microsofts-new-surface-tv-ad-its-surface-deep/
    And I find it hilarious that MS fanboys are comparing this to the iPod silhouette ads. iPod is a portable music player. Showing people dancing to music they just bought off iTunes made sense. And using black silhouettes to show off the white iPod and headphones was pure genius. When those ads came out people knew what iPod was. Apple didn't need ads to explain how to use the device. The average Joe probably knows very little about Surface. This ad made it seem more like a fashion accessory than anything else.

Wow. That was an eye opener. I had NO CLUE the culture at C|NET was even like that. That's hilarious! Am I missing where others "fanboys" congregate?

I always thought wired.com was fairly neutral. theverge and Engadget are "cousins" in the industry and slanted towards the Cupertino way (in their articles and reviews [not comments])...

But C|NET is filled w MS fans?! Who knew? Someone else wanna chime in and tell me where I can find other (main stream tech journalistic) tech culture cliques?

ie : I know cultofmac.com is full of Apple fans, but hardly anyone knows that everyone on staff at Engadget is hip to Apple gear.
  • Reply 91 of 145
    Off topic a bit, but its understood that Ive and mostly everyone on his team drive up to work in Audis...
  • Reply 92 of 145
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

OK the ad was fun to watch once or twice but so what? I'm sure than anyone who would buy this product would have noticed that it didn't show anything at all regarding the user experience other than swiping a screen full of icons. This is form without function. The amplified 'click' sounds was done better in the apple ads for their ipad covers.

• Reply 93 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

MS in 2011: ”We won’t do anything in the tablet market unless we can be distinctive,”

So you set out to show how noisy it can be??? I really don't think the snaps and clicks will cover up the sound of the cooling fan.

I wonder if they have the prototypes working well enough to function through a public unveiling yet??

• Reply 94 of 145
    Yes, those schoolgirls were out of class, I should say....

Anyhow, see how the tablet perform esp. the software and the keyboard I'm sure there's market for it. I'll stick with my Apple thank you very much.
  • Reply 95 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

90% of the market. So what's got them all scared enough to start competing against their own Windows licensees?

How about the nearly total disinterest in Widows 8...?

None of the cows want to come in the barn to "milked" again. 

• Reply 96 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I don't understand the trackpad on it- weird.

But typing on my iPad now..... Sucks. A keyboard cover if it worked well, would be very nice. Not gonna get a surface, but I'd love for apple to do it.

Apple has let that be a third-party supplied product. I think if you got a chance to compare the 3rd-party iPad keyboard quality to the MS Surface accessory keyboard, the Surface keyboard would come out second-best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I knew something else was bothering me about the ad but I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's it. The ad is more about the keyboard than the tablet, or at least the keyboard working with the tablet. Is it even included? I am under the impression the two different kinds are separate accessories, and they didn't let anyone even test them at the demo they had.

The Surface keyboard quality is a total unknown. Even Microsoft hasn't demonstrated its functionality, and like you said, no one has ever been allowed to touch the thing. My understanding is that the keyboard cover will be sold separately, and from this commercial seems to need to be disconnected from the Surface until you are ready to use it, so it may be a battery vampire. 

I will say that Microsoft may regret showing the Surface being thrown about in the commercial... someone will sue them when they drop their Surface and it breaks like a Ming vase.

• Reply 97 of 145
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I watched it without sound but I like it. The guy is cute and it sure shows the tablet in different situations.

The idea of putting a keyboard in the cover is pretty smart.

• Reply 98 of 145
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

When they first announced the Surface, MS made a big deal about pen input. I was surprised to see that they didn't show it here.

I liked the ad (a lot actually), but I agree with others: they seem to have made a big deal of the tech that I suspect they licensed from Apple.

• Reply 99 of 145
    That was very uh dubstepish.

Uh oh watch out for the angry school girls stompin like you got served!
  • Reply 100 of 145
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    I feel gay just watching the add. Its a subliminal message to make me love penis.