Apple's Schiller says iPod touch too thin for ambient light sensor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I saw the new Touch in the store on Sunday. It's amazingly thin. They really can't make it thinner without getting rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack.

But can they? People were/are livid that Apple changed a proprietary connector they used for a decade so it doesn't seem like it would go over well. However, I think the solution might be in the Lightening connector. Make the headphones use that as port. Sell an adapter for your 3.5mm headphones, and make BT a common reality once you can feasibly get 320kbps streaming with decent battery life from reasonably sized headphones.

If Apple tried to push another adaptor then life, as we know it, would come to an end.

Look at the ravings on MacRumors if you don't believe it.

Having said that, the only way to know if Apple has made a good decision is to see how many folk on MacRumors disagree with it.

If 90% of them say they will burn every Apple product in their home, then Cupertino has made the right choice. Keeps things simple.

• Reply 22 of 28

We've known it for ages, but now Apple officially announce that they value form over function.  Finally they acknowledge what has been plainly obvious to everyone else.

• Reply 23 of 28

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

We've known it for ages, but now Apple officially announce that they value form over function.  Finally they acknowledge what has been plainly obvious to everyone else.

Except that couldn't be further from the truth. 

Question: did any ambient light sensor ever work for you at any time? Never has for me. I keep my iPhone and iPod touch all the way on at all times, while I alternate on my iPad between all the way down (for reading at night) and all the way up (for daily use).

• Reply 24 of 28
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

I call BS.

The reason why it was removed was to cut costs, while INCREASING the price, beefing up its margins even more.

There are plenty of thin ambient sensors available.

• Reply 25 of 28

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The reason why it was removed was to cut costs, while INCREASING the price, beefing up its margins even more.

Uh huh, "increasing". Right.

Say, mind linking to one? 

• Reply 26 of 28
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    If they really wanted to they could monitor the light intensity using the facetime camera.
    It's really not important though.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    galbi wrote: »
    I call BS.

Show us some sensors that would be a great fit for that device.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Except that couldn't be further from the truth. 

Question: did any ambient light sensor ever work for you at any time? Never has for me. I keep my iPhone and iPod touch all the way on at all times, while I alternate on my iPad between all the way down (for reading at night) and all the way up (for daily use).

It would work better if Apple enabled its function when showing the lock screen. On "auto" the lock screen is way too bright in the dark. I just don't understand why it has to be that way. I know it's only a few seconds, but that's for each and every unlock. It's also quite annoying where I'd rather just fiddle with the brightness.