Foxconn says iPhone 5 is 'the most difficult device' it's ever assembled

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member

Hey - if it's getting scratched, you're just holding it wrong.....

• Reply 42 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

After owning every generation of iPhone, I can say in my experience that the 5 is easily the one most prone to scratches. Some of you get so defensive when articles like this come out, but facts are facts. Doesn't mean the phone is a POS or anything like that, though.

I disagree. I had the plastic-backed iPhone 3GS and that was super easy to scratch. My aluminum Original iPhone from 2007 only had scratches on the plastic section on the bottom; the aluminum itself was unscratched after two years of use. I've also got a blue-painted aluminum iPod Shuffle (2nd gen) which I've dropped from 4 ft. onto smooth concrete, and there's only the most superficial scratch on one edge of the painted clip. I thought for sure dropping it onto concrete would gouge craters into it, but scuff on the paint is barely visible.

• Reply 43 of 60
    remereme Posts: 74member

Agree completely, I like black faced devices because the black bezel is not distracting when viewing video etc.  The back color is not a big deal and native anodized aluminum would show less wear.  Works well with iPads.  The iPhone 5 would look fine in black and aluminum.

• Reply 44 of 60
    "Sir Jon" needs to book a flight back to planet Earth. Stop designing these products with the intention that they are going to spend their life in a museum display case.
  • Reply 45 of 60

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

"Sir Jon"… 

Jony. 

…needs to book a flight back to planet Earth. 

Do you just not want him where you live or something?

Stop designing these products with the intention that they are going to spend their life in a museum display case.

Stop thinking this is what is happening.

• Reply 46 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

After owning every generation of iPhone, I can say in my experience that the 5 is easily the one most prone to scratches. Some of you get so defensive when articles like this come out, but facts are facts. Doesn't mean the phone is a POS or anything like that, though.

I think we can solve all this bother with the "Brushed metal edition" --- now everyone is happy!

They can even just sandblast the returned items and give them the new and improved model without an extra fee.

I only hope my check from Apple for this brilliant "retro" idea is in the mail very soon.

• Reply 47 of 60
    'Difficult' is an interesting way to describe the new casing.
  • Reply 48 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Stop thinking this is what is happening.

Exactly. Some people here makes it sound like every iPhone 5 looks like it has been sandblasted.

• Reply 49 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I had my 64GB for 3 weeks before returning it for a 16GB model. Don't need the extra capacity since I moved to iTunes Match. It was really a pointless return because it's not like I lose $200 from the resale of that model and the AppleCare+ becomes even more valuable for that model.

Anyway, the new one had 3 nicks on the metal casing next to the glass. They opened up another box and it had the nicks in the same general place. I kept the one with the nicks, that looks like they happened from machining, as I'm sure I'll scratch it myself and it sill works the same.

1. I read that you were planning on cleaning out that iTunes DB of yours, but apparently you are relying on iTunes Match. Good for you.
    2. I didn't know it was so easy to return a phone for a different model in the States. If it was the same here in The Netherlands I would've gotten the 16GB model on launch day and swapped it for the 64 when available; I'm still waiting on my order: ETA Oct 25-31.
    3. What do you mean by 'a pointless return'? You are going to resell it next year, hopefully for the same price if it was the 64GB version?
    4. AppleCare becomes more valuable for the 64GB model, no?

Sorry for all these questions, just want to understand.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    1. I read that you were planning on cleaning out that iTunes DB of yours, but apparently you are relying on iTunes Match. Good for you.
    2. I didn't know it was so easy to return a phone for a different model in the States. If it was the same here in The Netherlands I would've gotten the 16GB model on launch day and swapped it for the 64 when available; I'm still waiting on my order: ETA Oct 25-31.
    3. What do you mean by 'a pointless return'? You are going to resell it next year, hopefully for the same price if it was the 64GB version?
    4. AppleCare becomes more valuable for the 64GB model, no?
    Sorry for all these questions, just want to understand.

1) Yeah, but I ran into an issue since I can't see a track on my iPhone that I no longer want and have it completely deleted from the iTunes Match DB. That can only be done via the iTunes app. Since I only listen to my music on my iPhone I've taken to having to DL the tracks I don't want give them one star and at some point delete them from my iTunes Library with that as the mark of death. It's all rather inefficient and convoluted.

2) You get 30 days from Apple and Verizon. Sprint just switched to 14 days. That means if you bought it at a Sprint phone at an Apple Store Apple will take it back between 15 and 30 days but Sprint will charge you an ETF fee.

3) Pointless in that the value of the 64GB would probably still yield me about a $200 increase in value over the 16GB a year from now when I sell it. Perhaps even more since my 16GB has flaws from the factory.

4) AC+ would seem to benefit the higher capacity model more. Perhaps number 3 is somewhat moot since I'll likely drop it a hundred times and pay the $50 for a pristine replacement with new battery right before I sell it.
  • Reply 51 of 60

Actually Foxconn has already announced that they are making a huge investment in industrial robotics. 

• Reply 52 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ahhk22 wrote: »
    Actually Foxconn has already announced that they are making a huge investment in industrial robotics. 

Foxconn was working on this...

But ended up creating this...

• Reply 53 of 60
    When mine comes in 3-4 weeks (yay!), I'm putting a Speck Candyshell on it, there, problem solved.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    And here I thought all the time it was the International Space Station!

That made me laugh but to be fair I don't think Foxconn have tried building one of those yet. Unless they are building Apple's new HQ. :D
  • Reply 55 of 60

Some of the post on MR are wild - the one with the iPhone 5 that bent in his hand was my favorite - he showed photos of a phone that was OBVIOUSLY sat on - but no - he tried to blame Apple and essentially was testing his pitch to the Apple Geniuses on the MR folks....

• Reply 56 of 60

Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Some of the post on MR are wild - the one with the iPhone 5 that bent in his hand was my favorite - he showed photos of a phone that was OBVIOUSLY sat on - but no - he tried to blame Apple and essentially was testing his pitch to the Apple Geniuses on the MR folks....

I wouldn't have put it past those saps to buy it. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, given the laughs that would result from the Geniuses if he had actually taken it to Apple, convinced he was going to get away with anything.

• Reply 57 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I believe the vast majority of people "claiming" they arent buying the iPhone5 for various reasons like this (scratchgate, antennagate, mapgate, etc).. had no intention of getting it in the first place.

This is more true than some people would like to believe.

• Reply 58 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Just like I said on other social media sites.  

I believe the vast majority of people "claiming" they arent buying the iPhone5 for various reasons like this (scratchgate, antennagate, mapgate, etc).. had no intention of getting it in the first place.  I'm not calling them liars.  But they might as well be saying that the $100k Porsche 911 they were "planning" to buy.. gets 1mpg less than what the sticker says.. so thats why they arent getting it lol.  Yeah right buddy.. like you were ever getting it.

Your point is so obvious that it makes not much point at all.

Of course if someone doesn't want to buy iP5 it will be because some or multiple reasons. While Scratch-gate, Map-gate or Purplehaze-gate could be one of them, those doesn't need to be their first reason. Maybe for them there are more important reasons not to go with iP5 but why does it matter what is the first or second or n-th reason? A valid reason a valid reason. It seems like you are just trying to dismiss SMP-gates as a valid reason for not buying iP5.

Anyway, if I want to buy a $100k Porsche 911 I would like to be sure that is not scuffed and that it comes with a decent navigation system ... Why? Because I pay premium price for it.

• Reply 59 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Yeah, but I ran into an issue since I can't see a track on my iPhone that I no longer want and have it completely deleted from the iTunes Match DB. That can only be done via the iTunes app. Since I only listen to my music on my iPhone I've taken to having to DL the tracks I don't want give them one star and at some point delete them from my iTunes Library with that as the mark of death. It's all rather inefficient and convoluted.

2) You get 30 days from Apple and Verizon. Sprint just switched to 14 days. That means if you bought it at a Sprint phone at an Apple Store Apple will take it back between 15 and 30 days but Sprint will charge you an ETF fee.

3) Pointless in that the value of the 64GB would probably still yield me about a $200 increase in value over the 16GB a year from now when I sell it. Perhaps even more since my 16GB has flaws from the factory.

4) AC+ would seem to benefit the higher capacity model more. Perhaps number 3 is somewhat moot since I'll likely drop it a hundred times and pay the $50 for a pristine replacement with new battery right before I sell it.

Thank you sir, for another informative post. I like your strategy in #4, surely hope I'll be able to pull that one over here in NL next year.

Sorry to hear your new 16GB model has flaws; presume it's only the couple of scratches you wrote earlier about. I used a bumper on my 4, but gave up on it since I couldn't put it in the dock. Now even though we don't have a dock for the 5, I won't be getting a case for it as now I'm used to go without one. How ironic is that?
  • Reply 60 of 60
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    A perfect portion of properly prepared scrambled eggs with correct moisture content is also difficult to produce. Of course, I can't make a call with my breakfast, so I suppose the iPhone 5 is a bit more challenging.