Microsoft says Surface screen outperforms iPad Retina display

135678

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 150


    Don't look at the man behind the curtain folks. There is nothing to see there.


     


    The way Panasonic solved the "screen door effect" for the pixalization problem on their Projectors was to make the picture "fuzzy". 


     


    Think of smearing Vaseline on your eyeglasses.

  • Reply 42 of 150
    1) this thing is still vapor ware until someone actually gets to use one.
    2) this claim of "many people see more detail" is bullshit.
    3) just get the thing out the door and stop talking about how awesome it's going to be.
  • Reply 43 of 150
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Sorry Bomber, that train left for that station two years ado...yawnn..go away now. Come back when yours is implantable..
  • Reply 44 of 150


    This, my friends, is called "spin".


     


    Steve Bathiche: "ClearType allows us to simulate a higher resolution than is actually possible on Surface and this simulation higher resolution is actually a higher than Apple's ACTUAL higher resolution. We don't know how we managed to change the laws of physics but our math indicates we have."

  • Reply 45 of 150

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Buy the real computer Surface. It doesn't come with Office.




    Heck, the tablet CPU Surface doesn't even have it, either. It's just a partial release preview ("full" Office available for free "when it's done").



    The final "full" version for Windows RT will be released in November, from what I've been reading. The version for x86 will be officially released, early next year

  • Reply 46 of 150
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,157member


    Is this guy serious?! ????

  • Reply 47 of 150
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    The old "baffle em with bullshit" technique. :)
    I must admit Microsoft's marketing of the Surface is excellent. Despite the fact that it's an over-priced PoS, you would never know it from the ads and marketing materials which actually make it look like a desirable "next-gen" kind of product. I think a lot of folks will be buying these.
    Of course they will be sorely disappointed with the reality of the device, but that comes after the purchase.

    Did you see the ad?
    The surface looked like a brick to me.
    The eerie image of the 'schoolchildren dancing' is difficult to forget.

    J.
  • Reply 48 of 150

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post



    The old "baffle em with bullshit" technique. image

    I must admit Microsoft's marketing of the Surface is excellent. Despite the fact that it's an over-priced PoS, you would never know it from the ads and marketing materials which actually make it look like a desirable "next-gen" kind of product. I think a lot of folks will be buying these.

    Of course they will be sorely disappointed with the reality of the device, but that comes after the purchase.


    "Despite the fact that it's an over-priced PoS,..."


     


    Actually, when you compare apples to apples the Surface is competitively priced.  For $599, you get 32GB of storage, Touch Cover / keyboard, Office Home & Student Edition for Windows RT.  A $599 iPad gets you Retina Screen, 32GB of storage, no productivity software, no smart cover / keyboard. This is a great solution for college students that want a tablet or device that's highly portable and need to crank out reports using Office & collaborate / share those documents with other students.

  • Reply 49 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Buy the real computer Surface. It doesn't come with Office.


    Heck, the tablet CPU Surface doesn't even have it, either. It's just a partial release preview ("full" Office available for free "when it's done").
    So how much space does the "full version" take up? Funny how Microsoft nor anyone else footnotes that 32GB is really only 20GB or so of free space. With iPad the pre-installed software takes up, what, maybe 2GB of storage?
  • Reply 50 of 150
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    robogobo wrote: »
    1) this thing is still vapor ware until someone actually gets to use one.
    2) this claim of "many people see more detail" is bullshit.
    3) just get the thing out the door and stop talking about how awesome it's going to be.

    2) when true, is pretty lame in itself.

    J.
  • Reply 51 of 150
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member


    Apple at MS' lunch long ago. It's too late for Redmond. 

  • Reply 52 of 150
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,294member
    jnjnjn wrote: »
    Did you see the ad?
    The surface looked like a brick to me.
    The eerie image of the 'schoolchildren dancing' is difficult to forget.
    J.

    I agree it was eerie in parts. I kept thinking if they'd used the nursery rhyme, A pocket full of posies and slowed the video playback speed down, they whole ad would have taken on a Steven Kingesque quality ...
  • Reply 53 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "Despite the fact that it's an over-priced PoS,..."

    Actually, when you compare apples to apples the Surface is competitively priced.  For $599, you get 32GB of storage, Touch Cover / keyboard, Office Home & Student Edition for Windows RT.  A $599 iPad gets you Retina Screen, 32GB of storage, no productivity software, no smart cover / keyboard. This is a great solution for college students that want a tablet or device that's highly portable and need to crank out reports using Office & collaborate / share those documents with other students.
    Pre-loaded software on the Surface uses up ~12GB. I'll be interested to see how easy it is to use Office on Surface vs on a lasptop/Ultrabook. From what I've read Office isn't really optimized that well for touch.
  • Reply 54 of 150
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    Since when has iWork been pre-installed on iPads? I don't think I can purchase Surface without Office.


    There's a reason for that. That it's an MS Office equipped tablet is the only real selling point of the Surface. That's why it has a keyboard and a touchpad as well, because they're hoping to sell this as something that people who absolutely need *proper* Office, but think a tablet might be quite nice as well. The keyboard and touchpad reveal this thing for what Microsoft really want it to be: a small laptop, they haven't really jumped into the whole Tablet idea with both feet yet.

  • Reply 55 of 150


    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

    So how much space does the "full version" take up? Funny how Microsoft nor anyone else footnotes that 32GB is really only 20GB or so of free space. With iPad the pre-installed software takes up, what, maybe 2GB of storage?


     


    And Microsoft still reports gibibytes as gigabytes, so they'll see even more loss.

  • Reply 56 of 150
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member


    Microsoft has now officially confirmed that we live in a Matrix.

  • Reply 57 of 150

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post



    So... in other words, Microsoft admits that their display is lame and that they are still relying on the philosophy that "users are stupid" (something I was taught taking classes for MCSE cert.).

    Cleartype meaning a certain boldness and shadow to the font. wow. Crazy.

    I'd prefer a display that doesn't need nasty looking fonts, thank you.

    And then talking about reflections? As if their display is better because of reflections?

    Seriously?

    The sad thing is when you have a Scarface and put it next to the iPad, the Retina Display, the MS product looks like donkey doo.

    But then, MS will start extolling the virtues of donkey doo...


     


    I disagree that ClearType makes Surface superior to RetinaDisplay, but your commentary is just pedestrian and ignorant.


     


    ClearType is not about boldness and shadow. Nor is it about "nasty looking" font, thank you.


     


    Reflection does matter. Seriously.


     


    The sad thing is that you cannot talk about what donkey doo is because you have not looked at Surface and iPad side by side. My bet is iPad with RD is superior but your ignorance makes me wish I was wrong.

  • Reply 58 of 150
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    ...  For $599, you get 32GB of storage, Touch Cover / keyboard, Office Home & Student Edition for Windows RT.  A $599 iPad gets you Retina Screen, 32GB of storage, no productivity software, no smart cover / keyboard. ...

    Productivity software on an iPad cost only a few dollars and is really ... productive, and you can buy it now.
    The keyboard is included, it's a virtual one, and that's the whole point of a tablet.
    Did you see the surface keyboard in the ad? It looked bulky and maybe suitable to defend yourself against armed attackers.

    J.
  • Reply 59 of 150
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,068member


    It hasn't even been released yet and they already feel a need to talk pseudo physics bullshit. This would make even die hard Windows apologists wince.

  • Reply 60 of 150


    What else can MS say? It sucks compared to Retina display? This is just marketing crap.

Sign In or Register to comment.