iPhone dominates smartphone Web traffic with 46% share, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone lineup accounts for nearly half of all internet traffic generated by smartphones in the U.S. and Canada, beating out the market share of next-closest competitor Samsung by over 30 percent, according to research provided by ad network Chitika.

iPhone Web Share
Source: Chitika


In an update to its report last week, Chitika Insights found that Apple's iPhone accounted for 46 percent of North American smartphone based internet traffic, with the new iPhone 5's 3 percent share representing more than that of BlackBerry and Windows Phone combined.

On Friday, the ad network's research arm released data pitting Web traffic generated by the iPhone 5 against that of Samsung's Galaxy S III, finding that Apple's newest handset passed the Korean company's flagship device after being available for only three weeks.

Wednesday's update digs deeper into Chitika's ad impression data to put the iPhone and Galaxy S III numbers in context, breaking down Web use by device manufacturer.

As mentioned, iPhone 5 accounts for 3 percent of all smartphone Web traffic, compared to the 2 percent seen from the Galaxy S III. Apple's other iPhone models, like last year's iPhone 4S and legacy handsets, took 43 percent of traffic, followed by "other smartphone" makers including RIM and Nokia. Samsung claimed second place with a 15 percent share, excluding the Galaxy S III.

Going further, Chitika's Internet Access Platform Tracker shows that iOS accounts for 48.67 percent of all mobile traffic in the U.S. and Canada, while Android trails with a 48.27 percent share despite owning 52.2 percent of the smartphone market.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 61
    I guess Chitika is funded by Samesung.
  • Reply 2 of 61


    "But…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…Samsung shipped sold more!"


     


    How 'smart' can it be, buying a smartphone and being forced to pay for data… and then never using it…

  • Reply 3 of 61
    I always thought Chitika made bananas?
  • Reply 4 of 61


    That's 1/2 of Google's mobile money right there. Google should be bending over to Apple instead of messing with them. All it would take for Apple is to switch the default search engine to Bing in a software update. 75% of iPhone users would probably just leave it on Bing because it's good enough.

  • Reply 5 of 61


    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

    All it would take for Apple is to switch the default search engine to Bing in a software update. 75% of iPhone users would probably just leave it on Bing because it's better.


     


    Yep.

  • Reply 6 of 61
    Clearly the stats are forming a pro-Apple conspiracy.
  • Reply 7 of 61


    Sorry, but I'm fully ignorant of this data's significance. Is this data based upon connections to Chitika Insight's specific networks or clients, or is this information a sampling of "all" web traffic in the US and Canada? 

  • Reply 8 of 61


    hahhaha..lol @ banana comment

  • Reply 9 of 61


  • Reply 10 of 61
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    In an update to its report last week, Chitika Insights found that Apple's iPhone accounted for 46 percent of North American smartphone based internet traffic, with the new iPhone 5's 3 percent share representing more than that of BlackBerry and Windows Phone combined.


     


    One possible interpretation: iPhones are less efficient with bandwidth than competing products, resulting in them representing the largest chunk of data consumption.

  • Reply 11 of 61
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,215member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post


    Sorry, but I'm fully ignorant of this data's significance. Is this data based upon connections to Chitika Insight's specific networks or clients, or is this information a sampling of "all" web traffic in the US and Canada? 



     


    Your first option.  US only.

  • Reply 12 of 61
    sricesrice Posts: 115member

    Quote:


    One possible interpretation: iPhones are less efficient with bandwidth than competing products, resulting in them representing the largest chunk of data consumption.



     


    I guess that's one possible interpretation... but it would be wrong.


     


    In an interview with Forbes, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse espoused the virtues of the Apple iPhone, including the phone's efficient use of data. The iPhone uses data much more efficiently than Android devices, according to Hesse, and this will allow Sprint to maintain its unlimited data plans longer than it would be able to in a purely Android-centric environment.

    Read more at http://www.mobileburn.com/17258/news/sprints-hesse-gushes-over-iphone-data-efficiency#BtE7TRWDebVPUZ4G.99

  • Reply 13 of 61
    The real news is that back in MAY it was 74% iOS and 26% for android.

    And VB is reporting Android at 50%

    http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/17/android-smartphones-now-have-majority-mobile-web-traffic-share/

  • Reply 14 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rjlcool View Post






    +100

  • Reply 15 of 61
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    teejay2012 wrote: »
    I always thought Chitika made bananas?
    I thought it was an ABBA song.
  • Reply 16 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by v5v View Post


     


    One possible interpretation: iPhones are less efficient with bandwidth than competing products, resulting in them representing the largest chunk of data consumption.



    are you so sick, that you actually believe that?


     


    iPhone makes a killing in anything that's relevant. in fact i'm starting to believe that the android world helps apple by introducing people to smartphones and tablets. after all apple still cannot produce enough to meet demand.

  • Reply 17 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post



    The real news is that back in MAY it was 74% iOS and 26% for android.

    And VB is reporting Android at 50%

    http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/17/android-smartphones-now-have-majority-mobile-web-traffic-share/


    that's a lie.. iOS has a much bigger share of mobile web traffic.. really much bigger.


     


    the news is that even with the 1.5million activations per day BS, the iphone still goes head on against everyone and wins in anything that is important.. and apple cannot meet demand.

  • Reply 18 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post


    That's 1/2 of Google's mobile money right there. Google should be bending over to Apple instead of messing with them. All it would take for Apple is to switch the default search engine to Bing in a software update. 75% of iPhone users would probably just leave it on Bing because it's good enough.



     


    you do realize that in May 2012 it was 74% iOS and 26% android... how is this bad news for Google.


     


    http://www.bgr.com/2012/05/25/apples-mobile-web-traffic-smartphone-tablet/

  • Reply 19 of 61
    now if only apple can keep rebounding on its stock and not given up its gains by all those eager to spread negativity
  • Reply 20 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post


    that's a lie.. iOS has a much bigger share of mobile web traffic.. really much bigger.


     


    the news is that even with the 1.5million activations per day BS, the iphone still goes head on against everyone and wins in anything that is important.. and apple cannot meet demand.



     


     


    huh, what is a lie?... the report has Android at 48.27 and iOS at 48.67... Venture Beat gets to the number with help of Chitika’s data engineers, Andrew Waber. Chitika had iOS at 74% in May 


    Also you do understand that 1.5million activation are not in US and Canada but worldwide - and that 26million iphones is also in the world.

Sign In or Register to comment.