Some iPhone 5 users report incorrect automatic date and time settings

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

iTunes calls my iPhone 5 an iPhone 4S, I think that is due to my activating it the day before the 21st in Cupertino time, due to my being in Australia.

Oh well, it's no big deal.

As long as your iPhone does not feel offended. I know some people who get really annoyed if you estimate their age twice of the actual.

• Reply 22 of 34

I've had the issue with the time as well, but I am on Sprint. I have had lots of weird things happening with my phone lately including yesterday my phone would switch between iMessage and text message when I was texting my wife. I didn't check what date I was on the 3-4 times I've noticed it, but my time is typically 15-20 minutes off.

• Reply 23 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Timegate SG-1.

I suspect this is sabotage from the carrier's end to make Apple look bad. Probably done by a temporal agent from Samsung sent back from the future.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    charlituna wrote: »
    If the time is a carrier software issue and they aren't properly fixing it then how is that an Apple issue. They don't control the carriers and towers

Ah, see I was under the impression that most of these time errors with day light savings and alarms and such had to do with the OS.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why does this sort of bug keep popping up. This seems like something Apple should have gotten a firm grasp of decades ago.

Absolutely.    Apple should have fixed any bugs concerning phones years before they ever produced a single one.    But they have taken your view into consideration and they're now fixing bugs that will happen in their future flying car device, even though they haven't produced one yet.  

• Reply 26 of 34

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ah, see I was under the impression that most of these time errors with day light savings and alarms and such had to do with the OS.

Well, they do in Windows, at least. For reference, Windows 8 still has a selectable option for Indiana time. You know, from before we became idiots and folded to Daylight Savings. It's completely useless to everyone now, but it's still there.

But on cell phones, time is handled by the carrier in question. I can't see any of this being Apple's fault.

• Reply 27 of 34
    mcrs wrote: »
    Jobs and Apple have done an excellent job of brainwashing all their i-gadgetees into thinking that when something goes wrong with their gadgets, it's never Apple's problems but always their users' mistakes.

Far from it. The issue is the press etc hyping up issues that happen to a small minority of the total as major design flaws etc. When they are flukes that happen to any complex electronics, complex software etc, generally at a rate far below other companies and Apple often reacts much faster. Say compared to the Xbox issue from a couple of years ago (over half the units failing, no attempt to sort out why just replacing dead ones with the same thing over and over)

Apple points this out and points out that the issues in some cases aren't entirely in their product. If coverage where you are sucks how are they to blame that you can't make calls. If you are using a 10 year old wifi route that only supports b and g how is it their fault that your Internet is slow. If you jailbroke your iPhone THAT could be the major factor in why it isn't working properly.

There's also the issue of expectations. My roommate made me go with him to the Apple Store on the way to see a movie so he could complain about the battery life in his iPhone 5. He has Bluetooth on all day searching for his car that is parked a quarter of a mile away, never locks the scene (auto lock is even set to never) etc. he admits this and then gripes that he leaves the house at 7am and when he leaves work at 5pm it's down to less than 20%. So ten hours and its not dead. The techs respond was 'that's really good, congrats'. And it is since he's doing nothing to conserve battery, more like unnecessarily drain it, and he's getting over spec which is 'up to 8 hours' but he seemed to think that he should be able to go days before he charged it because his old phone could (a non smart phone). How is Apple to blame for such bad expectations especially about things they were clear about from the first announcement.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    adamc wrote: »
    believe this someone has a direct line to a senior iOS advisor.

AppleCare calls their staff 'advisors' not 'technicians' or 'geniuses'

And if you demand to speak to a supervisor or the first person can't answer the questions and 'escalates' you then yes you might speak to a 'senior advisor'. I've gotten emails back from them when I fill out their random 'how did we do' surveys with less than stellar marks
  • Reply 29 of 34
    solipsismx wrote: »

Not necessarily. If you turn off set automatically and they happen then that is likely the OS. But if you are using 'set automatically' and the time server gives you bad info, that's not an OS issue.

Cell phones typically get their 'auto' info from the towers because that's the one connection that is guaranteed. Even if there's not enough info for a call there should be to get that little blip of info
  • Reply 30 of 34
    mstone wrote: »
    Good pont. A number of months back a similar problem happened to me on AT&T where the time was off by an hour ot so. I called them about it an they acknowledged it was a regional issue to Southern California. Nevertheless the phone is programmed to get its date info from the carrier.

I have had this problem on my AT&T ipad3, when I get to Michigan I have to turn off Lte and set it to set time manually. Still on IOS 5.x.

Meh, known carrier problem, probably something similar happening to iPhone 5.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Just posted, but it is not showing... Anyway, my Verizon iPad (current generation) is having the "incorrect time" issue.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Our company got nine Verizon iPhone 5's on launch day to replace our engineer's Droid X units. So far six of us have had this issue crop up at least once. It seems more likely to occur while traveling for more than 10 miles (perhaps cell tower hand-off related?). It is definitely related to LTE. If you disable LTE and force the iPhone 5 to 3G mode the issue never occurs. The best work-around other than disabling "automatic time synchronization" is to turn on Airplane mode, then turn it off. That fixes the time/date *immediately*. We've tried several other fixes that sometime work and sometimes don't, including:

--rebooting the phone (works sporadically)
    --disabling/re-enabling LTE (disabling prevents the issue from occurring, but doesn't immediately correct it once it has occurred)
    --performing a backup and full reset of the phone (has zero impact)

Like I said, the Airplane mode fix is the best, works 100% of the time.

Verizon has been running LTE longer than anyone, so I don't know if that increases or decreases the likelihood that its Apple's problem ;)
    -J
  • Reply 33 of 34
    My iPhone also FAILS and is not keeping the correct time. Not even in manual setting. And I'M MOT on Verizon my carrier is Sprint. And they insist it's Sprint's network and NOT the device. I'm losing patience. I use my medication app to alert me when it's time to take them.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by bigred1701e View Post

My iPhone also FAILS and is not keeping the correct time. Not even in manual setting. And I'M MOT on Verizon my carrier is Sprint. And they insist it's Sprint's network and NOT the device. I'm losing patience. I use my medication app to alert me when it's time to take them.

So why not update since you seem to live 2 years in the past?