Apple loses appeal of UK ruling in patent case against Samsung

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Hallas View Post

Quite right. Me too.

I've seen a few people trying to pretend that Apple invented the ARM (not least John Sculley), but of course the ARM was developed by Acorn in the early- to mid-1980s (micro-architecture by Steve Furber, instruction set by Sophie Wilson). ARM1 first saw the light of day in 1986, in Acorn's ARM Evaluation System, a 'cheese-wedge' add-on for the BBC Micro. Then, of course, the first ARM-based Archimedes arrived in late 1987. ARM Ltd was formed in partnership with Apple three years later, in 1990, and my understanding is that for quite a while it was dominated by ex-Acorn people rather than Apple people. Hardly surprising, since the Acorn people had designed the product.

That's not to detract from Apple in any way; it's just giving credit where it's due. Apple will undoubtedly have had quite a lot of input into ARM development, starting with the ARM600 series which was destined for the Newton, but the basic ARM technology had nothing to do with Apple whatsoever.

The company known as "ARM" was cofounded by Apple and Acorn, this is incontrovertible fact, quit with the bullshit and stop trying to put words in people's mouths, where did anyone say "Apple invented the ARM processor"?

Prior to 1990, ARM, the company did not exist.

http://www.arm.com/about/company-profile/milestones.php

• Reply 82 of 115
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

I would suggest the following ad:

After being sued by Samsung and in accordance with the court ruling, Apple hereby states that Samsung did not copy Apple's iconic iPad.

Clearly Samsung developed their tablet with no inspiration from Apple's design.

We would like to close this statement with additional comments from the court with which we wholeheartedly agree.

"When I first saw the Samsung products in this case I was struck by how similar they look to the Apple design when they are resting on a table. They look similar because they both have the same front screen."

-and everyone uses there tablets backwards?

"They are not as cool."

-agreed
  • Reply 83 of 115
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So if the Police charge someone in the UK with an offence and they are later found not guilty, then the police have to publish an apology in the major national newspapers and on their websites?

No, because that would be criminal law while the shootout under discussion is commercial/civil law.

• Reply 84 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

No, because that would be criminal law while the shootout under discussion is commercial/civil law.

Except you are found not guilty of breaking a criminal law and the police have been "libellous" by accusing you of such.

Innocence is innocence, no matter what type of law, the law becomes irrelevant, the public accusation remains and that is what the judge is seeking to remedy with his absurd ruling.

I can see lawyers having fun with the precedent.

• Reply 85 of 115

For anyone that things the court order makes any sense at all, think of it this way. let's say you have something that is protected, whether it is patent, copyright, trademark, etc. You hold protection on it. Someone else that wants to have a product very, very similar to your decides to sue to have your protection invalidated. Note that you have not accused them of anything publicly in this jurisdiction at this point, they sue to have your protection invalidated. During the course of the trial, since you believe your protection is valid, you are asked and acknowledge that you believe their product does copy yours. The accuser  wins the lawsuit, the protection you had is invalidated. Now the court also says that although you were sued and were attempting to maintain the protection you had, you made an accusation during the trial and must therefore be publicly flawed for statements made in court.

Nice legal system. A company gets dragged into court and publicly flogged for defending themselves. What's the lesson? Don't defend yourself in UK courts?

• Reply 86 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay2012 View Post

I am going to stop buying UK technology... if I can find any.

ARM is British so you better stop buying Apple gear since they license their CPU architecture from them.

• Reply 87 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

For anyone that things the court order makes any sense at all, think of it this way. let's say you have something that is protected, whether it is patent, copyright, trademark, etc. You hold protection on it. Someone else that wants to have a product very, very similar to your decides to sue to have your protection invalidated. Note that you have not accused them of anything publicly in this jurisdiction at this point, they sue to have your protection invalidated. During the course of the trial, since you believe your protection is valid, you are asked and acknowledge that you believe their product does copy yours. The accuser  wins the lawsuit, the protection you had is invalidated. Now the court also says that although you were sued and were attempting to maintain the protection you had, you made an accusation during the trial and must therefore be publicly flawed for statements made in court.

Nice legal system. A company gets dragged into court and publicly flogged for defending themselves. What's the lesson? Don't defend yourself in UK courts?

You could take it further by refusing to answer the courts questions based on this precedent and that you don't want to be exposed to the expense of advertising costs associated with making potentially "libellous" statements.

That Birss guy is an idiot, an absolute fool, an ass in the first degree.

• Reply 88 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So if the Police charge someone in the UK with an offence and they are later found not guilty, then the police have to publish an apology in the major national newspapers and on their websites?

You're not serious, are you?

• Reply 89 of 115

Quote:

Because Samsung was asking for a ruling that their tablets didn't copy Apple's product. The judge admits they are the same, but then says they aren't copied.

Did he really say that?  I read the opinion, but I didn't find anything like it in there.  Can you point out what I seem to have missed?

• Reply 90 of 115

"Samsung does not copy Apple. The Brits said so in court. So there."

It's running Chrome OS, of all things.

• Reply 91 of 115
    Maybe Judge Colin Birss's family was under attacked by Korean mafia or probably receive money under table. :smokey:
  • Reply 92 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,507member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I think one of the reasons for the Judge ordering the advertisements is because of the way Apple's legal council blatantly accused Samsung of copying the the iPad.  Since the court proceedings and what was said in them were publicly quoted, the accusations by Apple's legal team were seen as a public accusation, which was found to be wrong, hence the need for Apple to publicly retract it's comments.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9409959/Apple-website-must-admit-Samsung-didnt-copy.html

Had Apple's legal teem been more circumspect in their language and conduct, the advertisements likely would not have been ordered.

Apple can't just put the advertisements on their website, they have to take them out in several major national newspapers as well.

IMHO it had more to do with Apple's assertions of infringement on it's designs in other European Courts, and the very public statements and press quotes Apple made in that regard. Personally I think it's a silly requirement to post an apology, but I can see some bit of logic behind it.

• Reply 93 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

ARM is British so you better stop buying Apple gear since they license their CPU architecture from them.

I think you should read some of the other posts before you yell that out draped in the Union Jack mate. Good luck.

• Reply 94 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Howard 

You're not serious, are you?

Why not?

It points out the absurdity of the judges "punishment" and sets the precedent that making unfounded accusations in court is akin to libel and renders whoever makes the statement liable to advertise that they were wrong.

Why shouldn't you seek this remedy if found not guilty, given this precedent, backed up by the high court?

I'd do it just for laughs.

• Reply 95 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traisoon View Post

Maybe Judge Colin Birss's family was under attacked by Korean mafia or probably receive money under table. image

...or tickets for Chelsea FC games:-

• Reply 96 of 115

Quote:

Because Samsung was asking for a ruling that their tablets didn't copy Apple's product. The judge admits they are the same, but then says they aren't copied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Howard 

Did he really say that?  I read the opinion, but I didn't find anything like it in there.  Can you point out what I seem to have missed?

yup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Birss

"When I first saw the Samsung products in this case I was struck by how similar they look to the Apple design when they are resting on a table. They look similar because they both have the same front screen."

He goes on to explain while the front is the same, they look different from the back. You know, the side you don't use or see day to day. So it isn't copied. Brilliant. As I mentioned, I think he must have meant they were different because from the back you can read "Apple" or "Samsung" and immediately know they are different,

• Reply 97 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traisoon View Post

Maybe Judge Colin Birss's family was under attacked by Korean mafia or probably receive money under table. image

And the three other judges also?

• Reply 98 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

You really didn't realize how dumb your post sounded before submitting it? Really???

I guess sarcasm is a bit beyond your understanding! image

• Reply 99 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

More specific please. Which English law?

Read the ruling for yourself:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2012/1339.html

• Reply 100 of 115
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    hill60 wrote: »
    I can see lawyers having fun with the precedent.

What precedent? Civil and criminal law are different, you have been told that before, maybe you should look it up yourself.