iMac shipping times slip for some European Online Apple Stores

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27

Please offer a BTO option for museum glass.

Will buy three on the spot if Apple offers it.

• Reply 22 of 27
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

No leaks yet about an Apple skunkworks project to compete with the ChromeBook?

And there won't be because no one is going to want to buy a computer that only runs a web browser. And by "no one" I mean no sane rational person.

• Reply 23 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

No leaks yet about an Apple skunkworks project to compete with the ChromeBook?

And there won't be because no one is going to want to buy a computer that only runs a web browser. And by "no one" I mean no sane rational person.

Sounds like a huge market then.

• Reply 24 of 27
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The market to the insane is unpredictable. They might buy a chrome book, they might not, but you can't even be what percentage of them will. And, quite frankly, there aren't that many of them, contrary to popular belief.

The irrational customer base might be more secure, but like the insane, you can't be exactly sure what they will do, or why. Their numbers are larger, though.

The stupid customer base might seem like a sure thing, but they'll mostly stick with Windows.

So, while the insane, irrational customer base may be potentially sizable, and while you won't sell any to the sane, rational people, that's not the same as saying that all insane or irrational people will buy one. Don't feel bad over your errors in logic, Google seems to have made the same error in reasoning that you did or they would never have even hatched this mistake.

• Reply 25 of 27
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Why not? If you only need email, browsing, listening to Internet radio or pod casts and all of Google Docs functionality. For $249 you get pretty much a year or two of use of a disposable device. Who cares what the OS is as long as it does what it claims to do.

The new chromebook strike me as very meh.  I'd be interested in the new Samsung a whole lot more if it were running Android.

Back in August Sears was running a deal for the Asus TF300 for $399 including a free dock.  For $150 more I'd rather get that and I'm guessing we'll see more deals like that come black friday. 

http://www.talkandroid.com/129438-deal-grab-the-asus-transformer-pad-tf300-for-399-and-get-a-free-keyboard-dock/

The Apple competitor for Chromebooks isn't a Mac but the iPad.  I'd much rather have a $399 iPad 2 than the Chromebook.  Or a $249 8GB iPad Mini.

• Reply 26 of 27

I mean, look how big Android has gotten. image

• Reply 27 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, while the insane, irrational customer base may be potentially sizable, and while you won't sell any to the sane, rational people, that's not the same as saying that all insane or irrational people will buy one. Don't feel bad over your errors in logic, Google seems to have made the same error in reasoning that you did or they would never have even hatched this mistake.

I wasn't serious. It was a feeble attempt at humor.

Seriously, I wouldn't buy one but it is not a terrible product. It just depends on what you plan to use it for. It certainly requires adopting the Google ecosystem to be useful. It did get some decent reviews.