iOS 'uber hacker' Comex no longer working for Apple

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 57
    Not all that odd.

    Apple's main mission was as much to find out what he knows so a short internship is the cost effective way to go about it.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    moxommoxom Posts: 325member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post



    Not all that odd. Apple's main mission was as much to find out what he knows so a short internship is the cost effective way to go about it.


    I wonder just how much he would reveal to Apple though...


     


    image

  • Reply 23 of 57


    No man! You are not alone trust me....the fuss with the JB is being done from the people that do it. People that don't do it or don't need to do it, are just happy and that's it. They don't go into forums braging how happy they are for not JBing their phone / tablet.

  • Reply 25 of 57
    shardshard Posts: 96member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post


     


    If Apple wanted him, a missed email would mean nothing. He doesn't sound that upset either. Both parties shrugged and moved on, so I doubt he was engaged in anything useful.





    A missed email or communique means everything. It shows the mindset and the lack of respect for the organization. If I send out a job offer to someone and he or she does not reply, I am not sending out another. Same with a job application, if I send one in and I don't hear back from them, I assume they are not interested in hiring me.

  • Reply 26 of 57

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post


    Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?



    I've had no desire to jailbreak any iOS devices, but I often have wanted to downgrade the OS. Reminders app in iOS 5.1 was the first time I had a "perfect for me" reminders app. Sometimes, it seems, the iOS team cannot just leave well enough alone.

  • Reply 27 of 57
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shard View Post




    A missed email or communique means everything. It shows the mindset and the lack of respect for the organization. If I send out a job offer to someone and he or she does not reply, I am not sending out another. Same with a job application, if I send one in and I don't hear back from them, I assume they are not interested in hiring me.



     


    Really? In a time when probably 90% or more of all email traffic is spam, spoofs, and various scams, you are going to depend on a single time-sensitve email to determine the continuation of an employment contract? 


     
  • Reply 28 of 57
    juandljuandl Posts: 228member
    'The Crazy Ones' really only applied to the older employees of Apple.
    They went completely against the grain.
    Now that the 'true' Crazy One (Steve Jobs) is gone. That term just doesn't seem to apply anymore. It is 'Business' now.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member

    Hee why is the note beneath not yellow?
  • Reply 30 of 57

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post


    Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?



    Nope. I would guess that 99% of people who own iOS devices have no desire to jailbrake them, or even know what it means.

  • Reply 31 of 57

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post


    Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?



     


    I have never and probably will never jailbreak my devices. Apple keeps updating iOS enough to keep me satisfied so far. 

  • Reply 32 of 57
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    lilgto64 wrote: »
    Really? In a time when probably 90% or more of all email traffic is spam, spoofs, and various scams, you are going to depend on a single time-sensitve email to determine the continuation of an employment contract? 
    <div id="user_myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

    Yes.

    I am not sure how it is every where but in some large corporations where million dollar deals are handled via email, it's very important to check your email and respond accordingly.

    It is this very culture that made push email so important and in the past RIM so successful.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    nhtnht Posts: 4,487member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shard View Post



    Yes.

    I am not sure how it is every where but in some large corporations where million dollar deals are handled via email, it's very important to check your email and respond accordingly.

    It is this very culture that made push email so important and in the past RIM so successful.


     


    Nope.  Someone at one end of any deal (million bucks or not) and often at both ends wants it to happen.  No deal falls through JUST because of one missed email.  There are always other circumstances.


     


    In this case they were probably weren't very keen on keeping him but someone stepped up to vouch for sending the continuation.  When they didn't get a response they let it go.  If they really wanted to keep him they'd have spoken, either face to face or at least on the phone.  Maybe the person that backed him did that and he still dropped the ball or maybe the person didn't feel all that strongly about keeping him either.


     


    But it is complete bullshit that large corporations will let deals that they care about die because of a missed email.

  • Reply 34 of 57


    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

    Hee why is the note beneath not yellow?


     


    I don't use the stock TextEdit icon anymore, and so I didn't have it handy to post when I needed it. The one I use doesn't have the "Here's to the Crazy Ones" speech on it, and since the real icon isn't legally available online anywhere, I grabbed the first modded one I found. Here's what I use. I guess it's not my favorite, but it is well done, and it's good for visual differentiation so that TextEdit is now a subconscious mouse move. If I find a better one with the speech, I'll change to that.


     



     


    Does say, "Dear Steve," though.

  • Reply 35 of 57
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


     


    He was probably a square peg in a round hole at Apple. I've known or interacted with a couple of guys like this. They don't function like the rest of us.





    I suspect you are right. Apple would probably rather have him working for them making devices more difficult to jailbreak, but the next best thing for them is to have him stop. It isn't coincidental that they put that in a contract.


     


    What? A hacker who doesn't fit into corporate guidelines and rules? I can't imagine that! :>D

  • Reply 36 of 57

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post


    Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?



    No desire to? Or no ability to? ;)

  • Reply 37 of 57
    nht wrote: »
    Nope.  Someone at one end of any deal (million bucks or not) and often at both ends wants it to happen.  No deal falls through JUST because of one missed email.  There are always other circumstances.

    In this case they were probably weren't very keen on keeping him but someone stepped up to vouch for sending the continuation.  When they didn't get a response they let it go.  If they really wanted to keep him they'd have spoken, either face to face or at least on the phone.  Maybe the person that backed him did that and he still dropped the ball or maybe the person didn't feel all that strongly about keeping him either.

    But it is complete bullshit that large corporations will let deals that they care about die because of a missed email.

    If I sent an email that says give me a better offer by the end of the day for a multi million dollar deal and I don't get a reply, I am moving down the list to the next offer. That's how it is.

    You are assuming there is only one person of his caliber interning at Apple. There are probably dozens and most of them probably want to stay on at Apple with Apple only offering a few slots.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleFanPro View Post


     


    I have never and probably will never jailbreak my devices. Apple keeps updating iOS enough to keep me satisfied so far. 



    I want to jailbreak my Apple TV so I can access more than just what Apple chooses to give me.  Might not happen though, ATV2s are selling for $150 to $200 because they can be jailbroke.  I might sell mine.

  • Reply 39 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Hee why is the note beneath not yellow?

    I don't use the stock TextEdit icon anymore, and so I didn't have it handy to post when I needed it. The one I use doesn't have the "Here's to the Crazy Ones" speech on it, and since the real icon isn't legally available online anywhere, I grabbed the first modded one I found. Here's what I use. I guess it's not my favorite, but it is well done, and it's good for visual differentiation so that TextEdit is now a subconscious mouse move. If I find a better one with the speech, I'll change to that.

    LL

    Does say, "Dear Steve," though.

    You sir, are a real trouper. I mean, to find the time to post a reply to my oh so not important message is one thing, but to go through the hassle of explaining it all, I just don't understand where you find the time to do so.

    OT: won't these custom icons get killed at every software update? Save . releases?
  • Reply 40 of 57


    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

    OT: won't these custom icons get killed at every software update? Save . releases?


     


    Yeah, and it bugs me. Same thing happens with App Store apps*, which are supposed to be delta updates, aren't they? I guess I'm used to going through the motions of Application/(right-click)Show Package Contents/Contents/Resources and dragging in my custom icon again. But I do use a fair few of them. 


     


     



     


     


    *Specifically The Unarchiver, whose icon and filetypes I change to match Archive Utility**, save for EXE files, which I change to the old (actually halfway decent) Windows icon so that I can parse those at a glance. 




    **Even further off-topic, do you have 10.8.2? Is Archive Utility completely and utterly broken for you, too? It freezes every time I use it and has to be force quit. I have to right-click ZIPs and use The Unarchiver… 

Sign In or Register to comment.