iOS 6 sees over 60% adoption after one month, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

and how was the adoption of the previous iOSs after one month?

Yes, I could google it but... I"d expect AI to write better articles.

LOL. You sound like my Grade 11 English teacher!

• Reply 22 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

lol is that a joke?

it would be what, maybe another 1% higher?

Our iPad 1 gets used all the time in our household and it surfs the web great from the couch. I don't think people just threw their iPad 1's in the garbage when the new iPads came out.

• Reply 23 of 36
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

Here we go again with the asinine iOS vs. Android arguments. Sigh.

• Reply 24 of 36
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Our iPad 1 gets used all the time in our household and it surfs the web great from the couch. I don't think people just threw their iPad 1's in the garbage when the new iPads came out.

Right, but there just aren't so many out there to move the needle on this issue.

Also the first iPad would run so terribly with iOS6 I don't see why anyone would want to do that.

• Reply 25 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What do they care what version devices have? If developers hate Android so much, then who's making all those apps? Fairies?

The ratio of developers and new project starts for iOS vs Android is 7:3 last survey at the end of summer.

Last December Eric Schmidt was asked about this very issue (why iOS had more than twice as much interest from developers as Android). His reply? That in 6 months those places would be reversed. His reasoning? He stated that developers go where the market share is, and Android has more market share and is growing. Therefore developers would "switch sides".

Well, Mr. Schmidt, it's been almost 11 months since your "6 month" prediction and things haven't changed one bit. Seems developers pay attention to other things besides market share. Here's a couple for you...

• How many of those devices are high-end phones vs all the feature phones that happen to run Android.

• The fragmentation mess that is Android from API levels over all the different versions to hardware differences.

• The horribly slow adoption rate of new OS upgrades preventing developers from writing Apps that take full advantage of new features on the latest OS.

• The tightly integrated ecosystem you get with Apple devices.

• The higher performance of iOS devices (especially in the area of graphics).

• Reply 26 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The ratio of developers and new project starts for iOS vs Android is 7:3 last survey at the end of summer.

Last December Eric Schmidt was asked about this very issue (why iOS had more than twice as much interest from developers as Android). His reply? That in 6 months those places would be reversed. His reasoning? He stated that developers go where the market share is, and Android has more market share and is growing. Therefore developers would "switch sides".

Well, Mr. Schmidt, it's been almost 11 months since your "6 month" prediction and things haven't changed one bit. Seems developers pay attention to other things besides market share. Here's a couple for you...
    • How many of those devices are high-end phones vs all the feature phones that happen to run Android.
    • The fragmentation mess that is Android from API levels over all the different versions to hardware differences.
    • The horribly slow adoption rate of new OS upgrades preventing developers from writing Apps that take full advantage of new features on the latest OS.
    • The tightly integrated ecosystem you get with Apple devices.
    • The higher performance of iOS devices (especially in the area of graphics).

Wasn't it Schmidt that also said that in 6 months most TVs for sale would have Google TV embedded?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    ^ That's right. He's like Prince Philip - always sticking his foot in his mouth.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

It seems like most users can't wait to upgrade to Apple Maps, despite the loud complaints of a few users.

• Reply 29 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And Android has… what adoption of its newest OS, was it? image

Never get tired of hearing it, and this thread's gonna be all about it again.

Wow. What a news. Some iFans are really desperate in trying to score cheap points against android.

60% of adoption rate? SFW?

And since this "upgrade" is such a minute one (with a bunch of "features"); doesn't this say something about iFans?

"we-e-e-e-ll, if 60% of us is going in this direction, I might go as we-e-e-e-ll"

Maybe they just are not happy enough with IOS5?

Or maybe they will swallow whatever it is served today?

• Reply 30 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What do they care what version devices have? If developers hate Android so much, then who's making all those apps? Fairies?

You just about nailed it: Virgins living in their mother's basement. Age and sexual preference undeterminable. 

• Reply 31 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Wow. What a news. Some iFans are really desperate in trying to score cheap points against android.

60% of adoption rate? SFW?

And since this "upgrade" is such a minute one (with a bunch of "features"); doesn't this say something about iFans?

"we-e-e-e-ll, if 60% of us is going in this direction, I might go as we-e-e-e-ll"

Maybe they just are not happy enough with IOS5?

Or maybe they will swallow whatever it is served today?

Jeez, did you lose your binkie ...? Do happy people make you wear your mr. grumpy face? 

• Reply 32 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Here we go again with the asinine iOS vs. Android arguments. Sigh.

It's not an asinine argument, but it does bring out asinine comments from the sidelines.

• Reply 33 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

well of course iOS devices will having a higher adoption rates, all new iDevices come with it. There are still Android phones being sold with 2.X! ICS is up to 24% after a year and JB is up to 1.8%, as of the beginning of Oct.

oh.. nice.. so JB will have 2% when 4.2 comes out? makes sense.

• Reply 34 of 36
    pslicepslice Posts: 153member
    I've upgrade my iPhone, but after missing the map function too much, I've decided not to upgrade my New iPad. I love the map program too much to go complete IOS6. I wish they would work out their differences so I can get my Google Maps app back. The Apple map app (despite my absolute adoration of Apple) is really lacking. Way too soon to dump Google.
  • Reply 35 of 36

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Hey, troll. Glad I could draw you out. Feel free to call me a leech; that only makes you the poison.

And since this "upgrade" is such a minute one…

Oh! About that! Glad you brought it up. I've been told by dozens of Android morons that "It's okay that all phones still ship with 2.x, because I can get all the features of the newer software on this old software anyway. And all apps still work with it."

Now, in reading that, one gets the impression that there's zero reason to update to your new software entirely. But why's this? It's because there aren't any changes to it, according to your own friends. So I find it interesting that you'd call into question an Apple update when it, you know, actually changes things.

• Reply 36 of 36

Quote:

Hey, troll. Glad I could draw you out.

Don't be image at me. It will hurt my feelings image. LOL

Quote:

So I find it interesting that you'd call into question an Apple update when it, you know, actually changes things.

I didn't said; it DOESN'T change things - I referred those changes as "features" image.