Unauthorized third-party Lightning authentication chips reportedly in production

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

YES!

Need some kind of accessories

Please... What's the likelihood that you'd come clean to Apple and tell them the $3.00 cheap chinese knockoff accessory you bought fried your Apple product?  Are you going to fess-up and tell them the cable caused it or are you going to play stupid and say "I dunno, my phone just caught fire!!  *wink* *wink*"

This is the problem with the mentality folks like you have.  I would bet Apple deals all the time with their products being damaged in some way by unauthorized 3rd-party accessories and folks like you trying to pass the buck to Apple for your ignorance.

It reminds me of people admitting on this forum that they dropped their phone in the toilet or bathtub, shorted it out and tried to "pretend" to an Apple rep that they don't know why it's not working.  People just don't want to grow-up and assume responsibility for their actions if it means they can steal a buck from someone else.

• Reply 22 of 40
    seankill wrote: »
    never had trouble with the ones i got for my iphone 4, charges it nicely, everytime, for says 900+ times? (over 2.2 years ish)
    Previous cable is just wire, as long as the shielding is good, no worries about frying or breaking device. But lightning cable has a chip inside because of adaptive wiring system. If the knock off chip doesn't emulate perfectly, there is possibility of breaking device.
  • Reply 23 of 40

I really have no sympathy for Apple if unlicensed accessories come out first. They should have talked to accessory makers *MONTHS* ago, not NEXT MONTH, well after the phone has come out. What in the heck were they thinking?

We should have had accessories on release day. Instead their ridiculous obsession with secrecy (over a connector? How is secrecy even necessary here?) has resulted in them shooting themselves in the foot.

Big fail.

• Reply 24 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

I really have no sympathy for Apple if unlicensed accessories come out first. They should have talked to accessory makers *MONTHS* ago, not NEXT MONTH, well after the phone has come out. What in the heck were they thinking?

We should have had accessories on release day. Instead their ridiculous obsession with secrecy (over a connector? How is secrecy even necessary here?) has resulted in them shooting themselves in the foot.

Big fail.

And I have zero sympathy for you if your unlicensed accessory breaks your phone and you try crying back to Apple that your phone was a faulty product when in fact it was your fault.

• Reply 25 of 40
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

And I have zero sympathy for you if your unlicensed accessory breaks your phone and you try crying back to Apple that your phone was a faulty product when in fact it was your fault.

Has there ever been a story about a third party cable breaking an iPhone?

I know there's been a few stories about third party batteries in iPods doing bad things but nothing about cables. 

• Reply 26 of 40
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

I have no qualms about using a $6 30pin cable instead of the Apple branded $29 cable, however I don't think I'd want to use a cheap no name brand cable that needed complicated electronics like the lightning cable, it might be fine but I would not want to take a chance.

• Reply 27 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    analogjack wrote: »
    I have no qualms about using a $6 30pin cable instead of the Apple branded $29 cable, however I don't think I'd want to use a cheap no name brand cable that needed complicated electronics like the lightning cable, it might be fine but I would not want to take a chance.

Note it's $19.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Here's another word, "pedantic".

It's not necessarily illegal to reverse engineer something like this.  If the engineers were just given the specs for what was needed, and never even saw the Lightning connector; and if they developed chips according to those specs that worked, then yes, these chips could be considered legal... and legitimate (though not to the source).

Oh come on.  This is stupid.  You are actually arguing that the Chinese cloners are operating in some kind of blind box clean room environment?  Why because that gives them the moral high ground (which they care about soooo much of course).  What a load of crap.  Who's being pedantic now?

• Reply 29 of 40
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    richl wrote: »
    Has there ever been a story about a third party cable breaking an iPhone?

I know there's been a few stories about third party batteries in iPods doing bad things but nothing about cables. 

Not that I recall. I've heard of a charger burni up an entire car- but I'm pretty sure that was urban legend. And that's one.

Sflocal needs to take a chill pill. It's like someone raped his dog- it's just a third party accessory dude- relax... Your stock will be fine.

And Zorin is dead on. There is zero reason at all why the lightning meeting didn't happen the week of or the week after the iPhone press conference. All it did was delay the legitimate third party accessory makers and delay us, the consumer, of getting some charging docks or alarm clocks. Is only a complaint because of what could have been- a month earlier for accessories.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Great news. $2 cables again. Well done to the Chinese manufacturers.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Our company has successfully tested these third party chips and cable from several suppliers in the far east and we haven't seen any incompatibilities. The cables are charging and data transfers are the same speed as the official Apple cables. I'm not sure why the need for the extra authentication, but nonetheless, it's already been broken.
  • Reply 32 of 40

Quote:

Please... What's the likelihood that you'd come clean to Apple and tell them the $3.00 cheap chinese knockoff accessory you bought fried your Apple product?  Are you going to fess-up and tell them the cable caused it or are you going to play stupid and say "I dunno, my phone just caught fire!!  *wink* *wink*"

This is the problem with the mentality folks like you have.  I would bet Apple deals all the time with their products being damaged in some way by unauthorized 3rd-party accessories and folks like you trying to pass the buck to Apple for your ignorance.

It reminds me of people admitting on this forum that they dropped their phone in the toilet or bathtub, shorted it out and tried to "pretend" to an Apple rep that they don't know why it's not working.  People just don't want to grow-up and assume responsibility for their actions if it means they can steal a buck from someone else.

Like i said before, 2500+ charges = 0 problems

At the current rate, my iphone 4 is more likey to turn to dust

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Previous cable is just wire, as long as the shielding is good, no worries about frying or breaking device. But lightning cable has a chip inside because of adaptive wiring system. If the knock off chip doesn't emulate perfectly, there is possibility of breaking device.

I made note of that

• Reply 33 of 40
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Note it's $19.

In Australia when I bought my 5th gen nano they were $29, now they are $25 over here.

• Reply 34 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    analogjack wrote: »

In Australia when I bought my 5th gen nano they were $29, now they are $25 over here.

All prices are assumed as USD unless other stated.
  • Reply 35 of 40

Quote:

I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone in this position. I choose not to to buy non-licensed cables because it seems like a poor plan to risk this until the products are seen to be safe but that is my choice and it is an affordable luxury. This is not the case for everyone.

On the other hand it is still not clear how these cables work and what they are for yet. Hopefully we will find out next month. By getting a knock-off cable now you could be risking damage to your machine but also you could be sacrificing functionality that we are not yet aware of. If it is the latter, it could also be a waste of money.

• Reply 36 of 40

Originally Posted by festerfeet View Post

This is not the case for everyone.

… If they "couldn't afford" something with usable build quality, would they be buying Apple products? 

• Reply 37 of 40
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    sflocal wrote: »

You conveniently skipped over his main point. Apple should have had this meeting with third party manufacturers MONTHS ago instead of next month. This assbackwards way of doing things only hurts customers.
  • Reply 38 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… If they "couldn't afford" something with usable build quality, would they be buying Apple products? 

Yes, I know of people who make a significant purchase like and iPhone or iPad and are really stretching their budget to do so. Therefore they are able to rationalise the risk of using a cheap non-approved cable because they can't afford anything else. Like you I don't choose to take that risk and we seem to be in the position that for a relatively small cost we can or choose to avoid that issue.

We have a lot of staff that are paid well and fairly in China who earn a fraction of what they would expect to earn in the West. Admittedly a lot of their living costs are considerably lower than Europeans or Americans but the capital cost of an iPhone or iPad is a substantial lifestyle choice. Therefore the saving of 10/20 dollars to buy a spare cable is not such a big deal to some but will be seen as significantly different to others when it could be a similar cost to a meal out for 4 at a pretty good local restaurant. 

• Reply 39 of 40
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Oh come on.  This is stupid.  You are actually arguing that the Chinese cloners are operating in some kind of blind box clean room environment?  Why because that gives them the moral high ground (which they care about soooo much of course).  What a load of crap.  Who's being pedantic now?

No, I'm saying that reverse engineering can be legal, and even more so that reverse engineering can occur such that it can't be proven in a court of law that it was illegal.  I have no idea exactly what the engineers did, or even if it was reverse engineered in China as opposed to here in the US with engineering orders being sent to China for manufacturing, but the point still stands regarding the phrase,  "If legitimate...".

• Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO!
    But I'd prefer they not fry my devices or break in a week.

Yeah, I'm in agreement there. I'd certainly let others be guinea pigs on accessories until they've proven themselves over the long term. :)