Final Cut Pro X gets significant update with new features & RED camera support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecking View Post

...ummm The Black Magic Camera shoots Pro Res which is an apple created format that has been native to FCP since day one, and if you shooting RAW you need to put it into DaVinci anyways and that's included with the camera for free, so this is kind of a non-issue.

You are correct.

• Reply 22 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yes I agree, Apple have no real way to upgrade until Intel release their next generation workstation chips and yes adding Xeon cores is working well enough for current needs. But a major, a really mind boggling upgrade that no one expects would be nice wouldn't it? Especially with 5k video in the game. I always hoped Apple would buy Cray image

An upgrade would be nice if only for the sheer sake of higher numbers. I'd love the current tower (maybe a little more square) but in the slate colour Apple are now using - I think that would be quite a sight! Maybe a horizontal silver or glossy black stripe across the side. Some tasteful red LEDs ala CM-5 and you're onto a winner in my books.

*note to self: doodle this in Photoshop tonight*

• Reply 23 of 24
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yes I agree, Apple have no real way to upgrade until Intel release their next generation workstation chips and yes adding Xeon cores is working well enough for current needs. But a major, a really mind boggling upgrade that no one expects would be nice wouldn't it? Especially with 5k video in the game. I always hoped Apple would buy Cray image

More than anything, you're going to need a quantum leap in storage space.  Blackmagic Cinema Camera footage takes up 5 MB per frame.  And that's just 2.5k footage (more or less retina display resolution).  5k is much larger still.  1 and 2 TB hard drives simply aren't going to cut it much longer.

• Reply 24 of 24
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

I'll just be glad if this fixes the bugs I've been dealing with.

• Using "Open in Angle Viewer" from the timeline opens whatever is selected in the Event Browser.

• The clickable area for timeline zoom + - buttons are about one pixel each.

• A scrolling timeline drag selection usually misses the topmost layer of storyline content.

Yes, I have sent bug reports.

benanderson89 View Post

I'd love the current tower (maybe a little more square) [...] Some tasteful red LEDs ala CM-5 and you're onto a winner in my books.

A faint CPU load meter would be nice, shining through metal like the MacBook sleep light. I could finally remove MenuMeters. Though I have yet to see a light-up PC tower anywhere near the term 'tasteful.'

My old roommate had a stock tower with a giant green power light on the front, that would blink every second during standby, lighting up the entire room. He had to put electrical tape over it so that he could sleep.