Review roundup: Microsoft Surface hardware shines, but software is a letdown

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    bobborries wrote: »
    <p style="font-size:10px;line-height:normal;font-family:'Lucida Grande';">SurfaceWait.gif</p>

Oh I want one..... Oh wait no maybe not.

Yyyuck!
  • Reply 42 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The Surface will have free rein in the market unless Apple is able to deliver their products in a timely fashion. It doesn't matter how great Apple's products are if they can't get them into the customer's hands. Having 3-4 week or more delivery time is not going to cut it.

Millions upon millions got their iPhone 5 into customers hands in a timely fashion with more being delivered daily. Anyone that waited until now to order one will just have to wait a little longer and wait they happily will.
  • Reply 43 of 122
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Oh I want one..... Oh wait no maybe not.

Yyyuck!

Then choose a different color combination that's to your liking.

• Reply 44 of 122
    The Surface will have free rein in the market unless Apple is able to deliver their products in a timely fashion. It doesn't matter how great Apple's products are if they can't get them into the customer's hands. Having 3-4 week or more delivery time is not going to cut it.

I am sure they can produce a hundred times less surface's than apple produces iPads, an yes there will still be plenty of them sitting on shelfs, waiting for innocent bypassers to be picked up. If you think this as to be having free rein, then you are right.
  • Reply 45 of 122
    cpsro wrote: »
    Then choose a different color combination that's to your liking.

LOL!

I don't think it's as easy as that. Guess my dislikes goes a few miles deeper.
    Nice try anyway.
  • Reply 46 of 122

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Go ahead and slam it for now. MS has resources.

"I know a guy what can break ya' tablet manap'ly." image

• Reply 47 of 122
    I am sure they can produce a hundred times less surface's than apple produces iPads, an yes there will still be plenty of them sitting on shelfs, waiting for innocent bypassers to be picked up. If you think this as to be having free rein, then you are right.

People please it's "free reign" and lose not loose.
  • Reply 48 of 122

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Phrases like that are a diamond dozen in this doggy dog world.

• Reply 49 of 122
    cpsro wrote: »
    Nobody here has likely seen, let alone touched, a Surface, but reviewers uniformly heaped high praise on the hardware, and the non existence of major software issues all appear resolvable. Looks like it just needs a few key apps, like the ones mentioned by reviewers, and Surface will be a great device for business customers. Go ahead and slam it for now. MS has resources.

There I corrected that for you!

And keep on dreaming!
  • Reply 50 of 122
    Phrases like that are a diamond dozen in this doggy dog world.

I guess your rite
  • Reply 51 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

With waldobushman ignoring that it was four months from Surface announcement to shipping.

Meanwhile Surface estimated ship times range from 1-3 weeks.  Which is pretty much the same as the practical amount of time you will wait if you put in an order for an iPhone now.

• Reply 52 of 122

Nothing could be sweeter than these middling-to-damning reviews for Surface after the dozens of miscreant commenters over at The Verge had been crowing over this MS misfire in the making. The Surface has been exposed as a surface-to-ground missile!

• Reply 53 of 122
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Nobody here has likely seen, let alone touched, a Surface, but reviewers uniformly heaped high praise on the hardware, and the major software issues all appear resolvable. Looks like it just needs a few key apps, like the ones mentioned by reviewers, and Surface will be a great device for business customers. Go ahead and slam it for now. MS has resources.

How are their resources doing with consumers not giving a flying f about Windows Phone?

Their resources sure made the Zune a hit, right?

• Reply 54 of 122
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Oh! Sorry my bad.
  • Reply 55 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Oh! Sorry my bad.

I think you meant to say, "Miy badd."

• Reply 56 of 122
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Is it just me, or did everyone just gloss over the fact that the keyboard cover is $$ and should have been included in the review price, since the review was of the system with the cover.

• Reply 57 of 122
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Anandtech actually gave it a very strong review, and I have to say, of all the review sites out there, I value their (and Arstechnica) reviews the most. They're certainly not biased and aren't just chasing clicks (like Gizmodo ot The Verge).

They also have some decent background on what MS intends Surface to be, which is interesting. Basically, it is not intended to be an iPad competitor in the way you might imagine, but really an extension of the PC.

I wouldn't want one, and think MS is trying to do too many things with one device, but I think the Anandtech review is worth reading.

• Reply 58 of 122
    I think you meant to say, "Miy badd."

Hmm.. found only a wierd twitter accound when searching "Miy badd".
    So maybe no.

But yes since I am not native english speaking, my orthography is sometimes a bit ugly.
  • Reply 59 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

The contrarian view

Both the iPod and the iPhone were considered underwhelming at first.  The iPad as a concept was considered a non-competitor, until the market searing price was announced.

I see surface as the iPhone.  It will take a version 2 and a waft of apps to make it work, but it's on the same flight path.  MS will pitch ever evolving integration with Windows... YOUR windows... YOUR CORPORATION's windows.   AD, Outlook, Excel, Word.   Your investment is safe.  

I tried to find redeeming qualities of the Surface, I really did, however, they overlooked things which I would have expected MS to provide in order to make their product fit in better in Microsoft centered enterprises.  If they even tried, they failed miserably.  NO Outlook, NO AD, NO Remote Desktop.  Also, MS tends to abandon their products, so I have no confidence that they have the fortitude to stick with this if sales are disappointing.  Remember Kin, Windows Phone 7, Zune?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/why-outlook-isnt-on-windows-rt-and-what-you-can-do-instead-1105583#null

And from MS's Windows RT FAQ:

Some features aren't included in Windows RT:

• HomeGroup creation (you can join an existing HomeGroup but you can't create a new one)

• Remote Desktop

• Domain join

Although you can install apps directly from the Windows Store, you can't install apps on the desktop on Windows RT. Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview Edition comes preinstalled2, which provides you with touch-optimized desktop versions of the new Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.

You can only install printers, mice, keyboards, and other devices that are certified for Windows RT.

[1] HD Video Out also requires the HD Digital AV Adapter or VGA Adapter (each sold separately).

[2] Microsoft Home and Student 2013 RT Preview edition installed. Final Office Home & Student version will be installed via Windows Update when available (free download; ISP fees apply). Some features and programs unsupported. Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview and the final version are not for use in commercial, nonprofit, or revenue generating activities. Commercial license options available (sold separately). See http://office.com/officeRT.

• Reply 60 of 122
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So the ARM version has USB ports and it can presumably let you install printers and other peripherals to it directly... but who is making these ARM versions of these peripheral drivers for Windows RT?

allenbf wrote: »
    What part of the hardware shines, exactly?  It's fugly to me, and bloated with windows. Pass.

At least I know my 32 GB iPad has iOS that takes up what, 1 GB?  How much does windows take up on the Surface thing?

I think Dick Applebaum posted it about a week or two ago. I think it came at about 12GB which is why they have to start with 32GB for the base model.