Apple's speedy new Mac mini torn down and benchmarked

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    @smarky

If you are serious about graphic design (like we are at publishing studio for biggies) then stay away from Apple displays. They turn into yellow uneven surface with time and reflection from glossy screen is big no-no for precise professional (e.g. retouch).

We also consider Mac Mini as thi is enough performance for 2D graphics in Photoshop, but we will go pro monitor (IPS) EIZO or NEC (cheaper) 16:10 ratio (nobody in serious graphocs uses 16:9).

iMac was a big mistake. We had that big old PowerPC mac before with Mitsubishi DiamondPro professional monitor and that was it.

• Reply 22 of 43
    "The most expensive Mac mini comes with OS X Mountain Lion Server, a 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 4GB of memory, Two 1TB HDDs and Intel HD 4000 graphics."

This can be upgraded to the 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 for $100.
  • Reply 23 of 43

Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

They turn into yellow uneven surface with time…

Because these don't exist.

and reflection from glossy screen is big no-no for precise professional (e.g. retouch).

So no computer image professionals existed before the creation of matte LCD monitors? Because… CRTs sort of… existed before that. 

• Reply 24 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

" . . .  (nobody in serious graphocs uses 16:9)."

That's a design axiom I've never heard of before. It kind of sounds like the overconfident voice of minimal experience.

All the serious designers I know (even the one who are serious in "graphocs") choose their tools based on what's best for the job, not some clueless axiomatic statement.

Do you think designers who do exclusively landscape spreads should avoid 16:9 monitors?

• Reply 25 of 43
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not true. It uses the same interface as the previous drives. OWC has been offering upgrade drives for them for a while.

Ah, but history says it's true--and it fits in well with the quicker obsolescence afforded by non-upgradeable retina MacBook Pros. Mac OS X doesn't support TRIM on non-Apple SSDs. Why should Fusion be any different? With Fusion drives coming pre-configured from the factory, customers will need to order it up front if they ever want to have it, and Apple replacement parts will be required for reliable repair.

• Reply 26 of 43
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Because these don't exist.

So no computer image professionals existed before the creation of matte LCD monitors? Because… CRTs sort of… existed before that. 
    This product is currently unavailable. Please call us at 888-PANTONE (726-8663) for more information. ;)

Sorry, could not resist...
  • Reply 27 of 43

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

This product is currently unavailable. Please call us at 888-PANTONE (726-8663) for more information. image

Sorry, could not resist...

Ah, touché…

• Reply 28 of 43
    My Prediction:

A flood of Windows 8 refugees will be washing up on the Mac beach in the next few weeks. The Mac minis and the new iMacs will be popular with our new brethren.

I'll try to keep my "I told you so's" to myself.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    smarky, the primary difference will be the graphics chip. They dropped the discrete graphics chip that the last Mini had, so graphics performance will suffer [as Intel's graphics is distinctly inferior to both Nvidia and AMD].
  • Reply 30 of 43
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,909member

Server version or regular Mini with the fast processor?  This would be for a home server/file converter/web content player to the TV.  Curious about the fusion drive.  Not so happy about 5400 rpm drives in the server.

• Reply 31 of 43
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,570member
    Once again, a nice product ruined by the Intel Graphics only option, same with the beautiful 13" retina MacBook. Intel Graphics = no sale for me
  • Reply 32 of 43
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And how much are you Willing to pay?

$169 for a 256GB Samsung 830 x 2 isn't that bad.  That's almost half the price as Apple is charging.  So for $338 you can have a 512GB JBOD vs $250 for 1TB Fusion.

Fusion is a great idea but reading the tech notes it has it's own set of limitations.  I'd personally wait a rev or two and go with dual SSDs given they are so cheap now.

• Reply 33 of 43
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Mac OS X doesn't support TRIM on non-Apple SSDs.

TRIM appears to be working on my mini and mbp with Trim enabler installed.

• Reply 34 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Apple has a hit on their hand with both the new iMac and the Mac Mini. People are going to be snapping both of them up like crazy.

• Reply 35 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

A friend of mine who has an older MacBook Pro recently bought a new SSD to install, and I advised him to just use that TRIM enabler utility, and it's working out fine.

• Reply 36 of 43
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

If you owned the 2011 Mac Mini with 8 gigs of memory and 2.3 would you sell it for the newest model now? Thanks

• Reply 37 of 43
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

If you owned the 2011 Mac Mini with 8 gigs of memory and 2.3 would you sell it for the newest model now? Thanks

Not in the least, for me anyway.  Last year I bought the mid-grade 2011 b/c my PC had died and I didn't feel like building a new gaming PC when I had been planning to upgrade to a laptop at tax time.  The laptop ended up not happening (I set myself up w/6TB external storage instead), and largely b/c the Mini was handling everything just fine.  The reason I bought the $800 mid-grade model was b/c it offered the 6630M videocard instead of Intel graphics.  I just looked up benchmarks for the HD 4000 and compared to the 6630M and they are about 2/3 or worse across the board.  So if you do anything at all that will require a strong video card, don't do it.  The mid-2011 Mini plays World of Warcraft on a 1680x1050 screen w/everything on High (one step below Ultra) just fine.  Diablo 3 as well. 

Alternately, if graphics don't matter, you will never play any games and you want something faster for encoding tons of video, the new i7 models sound fantastic for that.  Not knowing your use cases makes any advice kind of open-ended.

• Reply 38 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    One of these might make a nice headless render node for FCPro and Compressor.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    nht wrote: »

Same here on my 2010 MBP 15" i7. Trim Enabler doesn't support every SSD out there as I understand it but it does the one I bought.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Ah, the tiny Mac Mini case... now *that's* how you do a mini ITX build.