Sprint again activates 1.5 million iPhones in third quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31

Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

So that is 73M customers that have no access to iPhone activations.

Wrong. Virgin Mobile and many other regional carriers officially carry the iPhone. The only number you can genuinely count out is the number of T-Mobile subscribers, as they are guaranteed to have no "official" iPhone activations.

• Reply 22 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

iPhones are such a large percentage of smartphone sales for the carriers that have them, that they feel its necessary to mention. On AT&T, where 77% of smartphone sales were iPhones, that leaves just 22.5% for Android, Blackberry and Win Phone altogether.. On Verizon that number was 46%, a lot lower, but still almost half. Considering that Verizon is responsible for kicking Android sales up in this country, at least, that's an amazing number as well, since it was 0% two years ago. The same percentage, approximately is assumed for Sprint. If T-Mobile had the iPhone, officially, it likely would be about the same as Sprint and Verizon. Considering that most of the independent phone companies in the Us now carry the iPhone, that would bring iPhone sales above 50% here. Heh! If Apple could produce enough, it could have been there now.

And that's why they don't give the other numbers. This is one of those instances where Android, Blackberry and Win Phone are classified as "other" on the chart.

When you look at this last year you will remember for 4-5 months the highest selling phone on Verizon was...the Motorola Razr HD. YES they do sell. Look at the Highest selling phone in the US just before the release of the iPhone 5. The galaxy S III which is on less carriers then the iPhone. The iPhone does see large influx of sales around new releases and holidays but spring and summer is starting to turn into android time. Also remember Android is on every carrier in the US. Even the ones found in the cracks. 

• Reply 23 of 31
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

There are 323M wireless customers in the US. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint are 250M of these. So that is 73M customers that have no access to iPhone activations. Also, new activations in Q3 does not equate to subscriber breakdown by handset. AT&T has 100M subscribers - just because 75% of them bought an iPhone last quarter doesn't mean 75% of their total subscribers have an iphone. Sprint for example has only been carrying the iphone for just over a year, so if you were locked into a 2-year contract before then you may still have a ways to go before you can upgrade to an iPhone.

iPhone also ignores the pre-paid market in the US, which is dominated by Android.

Yes, this has to be figured into the number, I believe most people would agree Apple products last longer, we have 3 iphone in our house, they are hand me downs, the wife gets new one so her old one goes to the kids. This in fact happens in other house holds as well. However, In the Android market phone are not handed down, especially on VZ since they will not allow a hand me down without full data activation, until they supported SIM card in the new LTE phone. My kids do not have data on the phone, we disable it and AT&T allow it. When claims are made about IOS over Android the people who do the analysis adds up all the phone, android out number IOS, and they assume no phones go out of service. Case on point I have had 4 android phones in 3 yrs and did hand them down but as of today 3 are dead did not last long. We know google is still counting the 3 dead phones in their numbers.

So if you only look at new phone sold and assume that new replaced an old what do the % look like. I think Apple maybe winning in the US.

• Reply 24 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

everyone knows real fanbois buy an iphone from all 3 of the major carriers.

Wrong! All 3 carriers AND the small/regional carriers. I hear that Steve Wozniak has 15 iPhones (and 6 Androids).

• Reply 25 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

So if you only look at new phone sold and assume that new replaced an old what do the % look like. I think Apple maybe winning in the US.

"Maybe" winning?

• Reply 26 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

Or logic can be applied to the situation, since these are quarterly numbers.  These numbers include the massive sales spike that occurs everytime a new Iphone is released.  It generally goes something like this:

Release quarter: Massive spike, outsells the competition handily

Next quarter:  % will drop, but will still be high due to holiday sales

3rd quarter:  sales drop after christmas, competing with new android phones being released through that quarter

4th quarter:  sales drop again, everyone waits for the new model

Repeat again. 

This has been going on since the original iphone was been released.  After 6 months, many people will simply wait for the next model, which only makes the release quarter even bigger(that is a generalization).

You are not quite on the mark. Release is rarely at the beginning of a quarter. So it's questionable that Apple consistently outsells the competition during the release quarter.

• Reply 27 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

And you can do the math.

half of verizon's sales were iphones, 75% of att sales were iphones, 1.5million at sprint (more than half again, i suppose..)

and yet android activations on the US is 3 to 1, according to some "sources". it is really confusing, don't you think?

gimageimagegle

Then you add the fact that iPhones are used to surf the web far more often. It's the new math all over again.

• Reply 28 of 31
    I helped Sprint in the 3rd quarter. I'm loving the iPhone 5. I'm not loving their 3G speed.
  • Reply 29 of 31

Quote:

There are 323M wireless customers in the US. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint are 250M of these. So that is 73M customers that have no access to iPhone activations. Also, new activations in Q3 does not equate to subscriber breakdown by handset. AT&T has 100M subscribers - just because 75% of them bought an iPhone last quarter doesn't mean 75% of their total subscribers have an iphone. Sprint for example has only been carrying the iphone for just over a year, so if you were locked into a 2-year contract before then you may still have a ways to go before you can upgrade to an iPhone.

iPhone also ignores the pre-paid market in the US, which is dominated by Android.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

Or logic can be applied to the situation, since these are quarterly numbers.  These numbers include the massive sales spike that occurs everytime a new Iphone is released.  It generally goes something like this:

Release quarter: Massive spike, outsells the competition handily

Next quarter:  % will drop, but will still be high due to holiday sales

3rd quarter:  sales drop after christmas, competing with new android phones being released through that quarter

4th quarter:  sales drop again, everyone waits for the new model

Repeat again. 

This has been going on since the original iphone was been released.  After 6 months, many people will simply wait for the next model, which only makes the release quarter even bigger(that is a generalization).

Both of you are wrong. Last quarter and the quarter before and the one before that (pretty much every quarter) Apple was by far the one with more activations.. (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint).

Then the iPhone is now available in other carriers as well, like Virgin, smaller carriers, etc. and this carriers are always talking about how new opportunities and new clients the iPhone brings to them.

So, again, both of you are wrong and have no knowledge about this subject.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

When you look at this last year you will remember for 4-5 months the highest selling phone on Verizon was...the Motorola Razr HD. YES they do sell. Look at the Highest selling phone in the US just before the release of the iPhone 5. The galaxy S III which is on less carriers then the iPhone. The iPhone does see large influx of sales around new releases and holidays but spring and summer is starting to turn into android time. Also remember Android is on every carrier in the US. Even the ones found in the cracks. 

wrong wrong wrong wrong.

The S3 was the best seller for a few weeks, right before the i5 entered the scene. 

If you look at all quarters from the last 2 years you will see that this percentage rarely changes. The iPhone 5 sells more or equal than all android phones (Sprint, ATT, Verizon together) put together quarter after quarter.

Even if it has less sales on smaller carriers, that accounts for a much lower number, how can you explain the 30% US market share? especially since americans have the iPhone since day one.

Someone is lying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Then you add the fact that iPhones are used to surf the web far more often. It's the new math all over again.

This has nothing to do with this data, it's stupid to bring that up for this discussion.

• Reply 30 of 31

thank ypu

• Reply 31 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Both of you are wrong. Last quarter and the quarter before and the one before that (pretty much every quarter) Apple was by far the one with more activations.. (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint).

Then the iPhone is now available in other carriers as well, like Virgin, smaller carriers, etc. and this carriers are always talking about how new opportunities and new clients the iPhone brings to them.

So, again, both of you are wrong and have no knowledge about this subject.

wrong wrong wrong wrong.

The S3 was the best seller for a few weeks, right before the i5 entered the scene. 

If you look at all quarters from the last 2 years you will see that this percentage rarely changes. The iPhone 5 sells more or equal than all android phones (Sprint, ATT, Verizon together) put together quarter after quarter.

Even if it has less sales on smaller carriers, that accounts for a much lower number, how can you explain the 30% US market share? especially since americans have the iPhone since day one.

Someone is lying.

This has nothing to do with this data, it's stupid to bring that up for this discussion.

I agree that Google's numbers are funny, but I disagree that web usage is "stupid to bring that up."  That gives you an idea of how "sticky" a product is.  If Android users aren't surfing the web and engaging with the device, they are using it like a dumb phone which means their "activations" aren't worth crap as far as a revenue producing ecosystem goes.