Apple sells out of all iPad mini models as Amazon pans its price

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    These other tablets ads are so misleading it's sickening. Are they saying that supporting the fastest 4G LTE and latest WiFi protocols somehow makes the iPad mini a poor choice? It doesn't matter how many pixels you have to a point, the screen is 30-60% smaller and that makes a big difference, especially in landscape. The iPad's 4:3 aspect ratio wins on that account. Also, I don't think it much matters if you have stereo, mono or 5-point surround sound on your 7" tablet... it's not going to make a freaking difference. The sound is still going to suck. The iPad speaker sounds awesome for it's size and it's loud. Most other devices can't match that.

Speed of processor is probably better than the Amazon offering and the app choice is enormous in comparison, especially since there are still very few tablet specific apps for the Kindle which is really just a phone with decent media apps. Oh and did we mention that you need to pay to remove the ads? Yeah...

iPad mini: lighter, larger, faster, better selection. Everything you can do with an iPad 2 plus much more with improved cameras, networking, power management... Sorry Amazon.
  • Reply 82 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Actually I think Amazon made a mistake putting the two side by side. First thing you notice is how huge the black bezel is on the Fire compared to the smaller bezel on the mini. Looking at the two side by side does not make me want a Fire.

Yep, they are practically the same size, but the Bezel on the Fire is Huge, it looks plain silly when both are to scale and side/side. It is like you get as much Bezel as you do screen:

The Fire HD is still sluggish to use and it is Advertising Infested. You need to be a Amazon fan to want one of their Advertising/Sales Kiosks in your home. It isn't good for much else.

• Reply 83 of 102
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The Kindle Fire is pathetic! Even if I was on welfare, I wouldn't want one. I don't give a crap about how cheap it is. They can keep that ad infested, Android abomination for themselves. image

The competition is scared shitless! How many Kindle Fires has Amazon sold again? Oh, that's right, virtually nobody besides Apple has the balls to actually release any sales figures.

The competition is cheap crap, and they also have no balls. I also believe that they are being misleading and targeting their propaganda towards ignorant individuals when they're trying to hype that their display has a few more pixels. What would you rather have, 200 ounces of silver, or 100 ounces of gold? A dummy would of course choose 200 ounces of silver. A greater number doesn't always mean that something is better, and it's certainly not indicative of quality.

I'm about to get hit by that freaking frankenstorm, and thank goodness for my iPad! If the power goes out, which is not unlikely, then the iPad is actually the device that I have in my house that will last the longest without electricity. If the power does goes out, you might not be seeing me online here for a while. I guess that I'll put it in airplane mode, lower the screen brightness slightly and play some of the hundreds of games that I have to kill the time, if I'm stuck here with no electricity. I couldn't even buy any flashlights, everywhere is sold out! All of my iOS devices are currently charged to the max, in preparation for that killer hurricane.

In conclusion, screw the Kindle Fire! image

• Reply 84 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Yeah...

Sorry about that. I think....I'm going to take that out...

I'm glad you expressed distaste for the Amazon. It's just an opinion. Besides, the F-word is the most magical word ever. The Norwegians even imported it into their language (no joke).

• Reply 85 of 102
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Apple should have put a higher res display at the same aspect ratio and just had the slightly stretched. All the controls will be rendered natively anyway and only the artwork/graphics would need to be upgraded. If Apple just went for 1280x960, same exact aspect ratio, plays 720p natively.
  • Reply 86 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Don't think Amazon is doing this because they are scared. They are marketing to the non-Apple crowd - those who are predisposed to consider non-Apple options (e.g. Android) first and some of those on the fence.

We need to be fair here - there are features on Kindle that are superior to iPad Mini (screen resolution) and Amazon is smart to point them out. There are also features on iPad Mini that are superior. Amazon would be dumb to point them out.

This marketing strategy is designed to redirect attention away from Nook and Nexus 7.

Good point.  Amazon might as well mention the elephant in the room.  It at least goes to portray the smaller-tablet market as a two-horse race.  Sometimes its good to be Pepsi!

• Reply 87 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

These other tablets ads are so misleading it's sickening. Are they saying that supporting the fastest 4G LTE and latest WiFi protocols somehow makes the iPad mini a poor choice? It doesn't matter how many pixels you have to a point, the screen is 30-60% smaller and that makes a big difference, especially in landscape. The iPad's 4:3 aspect ratio wins on that account. Also, I don't think it much matters if you have stereo, mono or 5-point surround sound on your 7" tablet... it's not going to make a freaking difference. The sound is still going to suck. The iPad speaker sounds awesome for it's size and it's loud. Most other devices can't match that.

Speed of processor is probably better than the Amazon offering and the app choice is enormous in comparison, especially since there are still very few tablet specific apps for the Kindle which is really just a phone with decent media apps. Oh and did we mention that you need to pay to remove the ads? Yeah...

iPad mini: lighter, larger, faster, better selection. Everything you can do with an iPad 2 plus much more with improved cameras, networking, power management... Sorry Amazon.

"Sickening"? Going a bit far. Every company highlights their best features and specs, and tries to make them sound superior. Apple is no different. They highlight size of their screen and quality of the device, Amazon highlights their lower price and higher screen resolution. Sickening? Really? Chill out. Marketing is not about being 100% open and honest. Everybody plays the game, and I do mean everyone.

• Reply 88 of 102
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubston View Post

You can have stereo speakers or dual speakers, but what are dual stereo speakers? image

The Who beat them to it.  Quadrophenia :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drac View Post

"you would have to have the IQ of an ant to buy a Kindle Fire HD over an iPad." ... "Haha, Amazon's scared. How amusing" ... "Such a waste of space on the Fire there."

And people wonder why Apple fans have a reputation of being snotty, condescending and arrogant ...

The first is condescending.  The second is attempted analysis at marketing tactics (and possibly correct).  The 3rd is a critique of the bezel design, and seemingly a rather fair one.  So yeah, only 1 of those comments really fits your statement. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

To be honest, I don't think that's fair. Gizmodo, regardless of the past would publish this anyway.

Of course, they do have this past, so it now colors every comment they make in the future.  Like someone who did time for murder, people will always be looking out the corner of their eye at them and second guessing them.  No, buying a pre-production prototype isn't anywhere close to equivalent to murder (and I'm not honestly equating them, only the social aspects of a record like that), but look at what it has done to any reputation Gizmodo had before that incident?  Completely blown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If you Google the term you will find that it's (sadly) used fairly regularly by gadget sellers so I think it unlikely that Amazon actually has four speakers in there.  I think it's just the (stupid, illegible, illiterate, ignorant) way people speak nowadays.  

Like how someone pacifically* told you it was a mute** point?  :)  Those are a couple pretty common screwups.

* specifically

** moot

• Reply 89 of 102

Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Apple should have put a higher res display at the same aspect ratio and just had the slightly stretched. All the controls will be rendered natively anyway and only the artwork/graphics would need to be upgraded. If Apple just went for 1280x960, same exact aspect ratio, plays 720p natively.

No.

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The Who beat them to it.  Quadrophenia :)

May as well get ahead of the curve and support the full Super Hi-Vision standard. 22 speakers.

• Reply 90 of 102
    Of course you little fanbois are trying to come up with excuses to buy an overpriced iPad mini with a lousy, low resolution 1024x768 display. At first, most of you believed the rumors of the iPad mini starting less than $300. None of you have even used a Kindle Fire, so your comments are all based on Apple Kool-Aid. With Apple moving everything to retina displays, this iPad mini with an outdated crappy display is a slap in the face. But you little fanbois will rush out and buy one, then 7 months later, Apple will introduce the far superior iPad mini 2 with an A6X and retina display, then you will all be pissed. But unfortunately, Apple will never lower the price on iPads, like they have done with iPods, because they know you little fanbois will pay top dollar for outdated technology. I have been using an iPad 2 that was given to me, because I would never buy one, and the 1024x768 screen is terrible for browsing the web with 12 point fonts. Hilarious that you fools will rush out and buy a smaller, outdated, iPad 2 mini. The iPad is the first Apple product that I have had no interest in buying.

I have used a Kindle Fire and it is a great product, for what it is designed to do. $199 is far better than $329.

Bullhead's comments just proves how stupid he is. Kindle locked to Amazon, and iPads are locked to Apple. Kindle activity logged to Amazon, and iPad apps are logged back to their developers (Bullhead needs to read about the privacy issues with the iPad). Android sluggish...iPad and iPhones with iOS have always had complaints of sluggish performance with limited RAM (Hello? iPad 1 outdated and abandoned by Apple after 1 year of production, and limited RAM slams performance). Locked into a single OS. iOS 6 adds nothing beneficial to an iPad, except it downgrades the Map. It offers more for the iPhone. iOS 5.1.1 for the iPad 1 is better OS. Not very smart.

Enjoy your outdated iPad 2 minis...then come back and bitch 7 months later when Apple releases a better version for the same price.
  • Reply 91 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Bullhead's comments just proves how stupid he is. Kindle locked to Amazon, and iPads are locked to Apple. Kindle activity logged to Amazon, and iPad apps are logged back to their developers (Bullhead needs to read about the privacy issues with the iPad). Android sluggish...iPad and iPhones with iOS have always had complaints of sluggish performance with limited RAM (Hello? iPad 1 outdated and abandoned by Apple after 1 year of production, and limited RAM slams performance). Locked into a single OS. iOS 6 adds nothing beneficial to an iPad, except it downgrades the Map. It offers more for the iPhone. iOS 5.1.1 for the iPad 1 is better OS. Not very smart.

Enjoy your outdated iPad 2 minis...then come back and bitch 7 months later when Apple releases a better version for the same price.

Wow, what an incredibly stupid thinking.

Now that you said how much the 3 years old iPad 1 is outdated, how the current Kindle with a 2 years old hardware and a 3 years old forked OS no longer supported by Google is doing any better here?

I fail to see your logic here to prefer a point-of-sales device make by a book store cie to help them licences more books. (Remember, Amazon retain all right to cancel your account and wipe all purchase you made on their devices with no obligation for refund) 

• Reply 92 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have to laugh at Amazon going after Apple when their biggest competition is Google. Unless you're totally invested in Amazon Prime what would be the reason to get a Fire over a Nexus?
  • Reply 93 of 102
    hodarhodar Posts: 362member
    What are you really going to do with a Mac Mini? Chances are that you will simply read a book, or maybe watch a movie on the car/bus/plane. At this size, the odds of authoring email or doing a substancial amount of web surfing is probably not going to happen. This sort of activity would happen far more on a larger size screen - such as the full sized iPad.

Thus, for the market segment that the Mac Mini is offered at, I believe it is over-priced - and that the bang for the buck is truly in Amazon's court. It's simply a matter of chosing the right tool for the right job. For movies - it's passable, for books - more so. But, for anything productive - it's simply too small.
  • Reply 94 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

May as well get ahead of the curve and support the full Super Hi-Vision standard. 22 speakers.

icosikaidigophenia doesn't have the same ring to it tho :)

• Reply 95 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

What are you really going to do with a Mac Mini? Chances are that you will simply read a book, or maybe watch a movie on the car/bus/plane. At this size, the odds of authoring email or doing a substancial amount of web surfing is probably not going to happen. This sort of activity would happen far more on a larger size screen - such as the full sized iPad.

Thus, for the market segment that the Mac Mini is offered at, I believe it is over-priced - and that the bang for the buck is truly in Amazon's court. It's simply a matter of chosing the right tool for the right job. For movies - it's passable, for books - more so. But, for anything productive - it's simply too small.

The Mac Mini I would wonder how I'm seeing to type b/c it is a silver square on my desktop, not a tablet.  The iPad Mini, I would probably type email and surf better than I do on my iPhone 4S, which I do a decent amount of both on it already.

Also your measure of productivity doesn't jibe with mine.  I can plug my guitar in and using an app like Ampkit, I have amplifiers and effects pedals.  Run that into an app like Garageband or Music Studio, I can record music.  Fire up Korg iMS 20 or Sunrizer and lay down a synth part.  Open up DM-1 or Korg iElectribe and program a drumbeat.  All recorded into the DAW that is functional and running in the background on my iPad Mini.  Sounds pretty productive to me and oh yeah, none of those apps are available on Android b/c Android is completely awful for music production.

• Reply 96 of 102
    "Amazon also dismissed the fact that the iPad mini has one mono speaker, while the Kindle Fire HD has dual stereo speakers."

... because stereo built-in speakers on a tablet is so significant. LOL!!
  • Reply 97 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

The correct spelling is "iPad mini" not "Mac Mini".

And a difference of 1.8 inches makes it "simply too small"?

• Reply 98 of 102
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Don't think Amazon is doing this because they are scared. They are marketing to the non-Apple crowd - those who are predisposed to consider non-Apple options (e.g. Android) first and some of those on the fence.

We need to be fair here - there are features on Kindle that are superior to iPad Mini (screen resolution) and Amazon is smart to point them out. There are also features on iPad Mini that are superior. Amazon would be dumb to point them out.

This marketing strategy is designed to redirect attention away from Nook and Nexus 7.

Smart post and great point.  Choose us or the iPad mini- and they still come out ahead better than they wouldve if they didn't make the comparison.  Why compare themselves with a product like the Nexus that is pretty close and has it beat on a lot of fronts.  Ignore them like they don't exist, and put your product out there with what will be the frontrunner (the iPad mini).

Would everyone rather they say "Ya- the mini is better- ours sucks in comparison".  Or- how about- "We are comparable with the Nexus 7- please buy ours"

btw- you know what this advertising costs them?  Nothing.

I like their approach.  Props to Amazon.  Now please- for the love of God- let Apple TV have Amazon Instant video (looking at you too HBO!)

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Good point.  Amazon might as well mention the elephant in the room.  It at least goes to portray the smaller-tablet market as a two-horse race.  Sometimes its good to be Pepsi!

Nice.

• Reply 99 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Most people claimed they couldn't tell the difference when the iPad 3 came out. 

I could def tell the difference between the older screens and the retina display. 

• Reply 100 of 102
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    Stereo speakers on anything the width of a tablet work great. You really get that stereo separation on the Kindle IF YOUR HEAD IS THE SIZE OF A CAT'S. Maybe. Stereo only works properly when there is a significant distance between the speakers.

Meeiaow :) ;) 8-)