Scott Forstall's leadership of iOS, Siri, Maps and user interface revoked

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    There are too many factual errors in this document to comment. The first started with Scott leading Aqua. The rest was frankly fluff.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    pfisher wrote: »
    . We all know about how dated iOS is looking, about how a lot hasn't changed.

We do not.

Such a statement is a personal opinion and while you are entitled to that opinion, please refrain from stating or implying that it is fact or even a opinion held by anyone other you. Respect our right to have and speak our own opinions ourselves
  • Reply 23 of 40
    rpsx wrote: »
    i hope this finally spells the end of "skeuomorphism" at apple..

Doubt it, but it might get toned down. Starting with having details like moving shadows on slider knobs which is total chintz, particularly when there are functional problems with the OS
  • Reply 24 of 40
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    There are too many factual errors in this document to comment. The first started with Scott leading Aqua. ...

Could you elaborate on that?

J.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    If we're going to complain about something regarding software, like maps and passbook, I'd still like to know why Facetime hasn't been released as an open standard yet. That was part of iOS. It's not Scott's fault but I still want to know.

How do you know it hasn't. Perhaps it has but no one is interested in using it
  • Reply 26 of 40
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    He was not. If anything, this was on HIS terms, with Cook's reluctant agreement.

Given the rumors of Forstall acting like a total asshat all the time, it might not have been that reluctant
  • Reply 27 of 40

If I had just made $38.7 million, I too might decide to take it easy and do some consulting work for a while.

• Reply 28 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Also, why can't I make Chrome my default browser in iOS? I really do prefer it far better than Safari.

This just highlights the stagnation at Apple when a major app people choose to use is not the one produced by the company. For years Apple has been underinvesting in research, just hoarding cash on top of cash while Google has been recruiting PhDs in droves.

Eventually the day comes when you have to pay for your greediness.

Apple products even a couple of years ago where so much better than the competition that it could get away charging for iPhone three times its production costs. But not anymore. The competition really understood the secret of Apple. Hell Froze: Microsoft is producing its OWN computer Surface! Goolge genuinely unites hardware and software in its Nexus line. And all these efforts are backed by gigantic research investments in both companies.

While Apple still ignorantly thinks that its products “are the best on the planet” to justify morbidly fat margins and lets Sir Ivy obsess over easily scuffed aluminum edge on iPhone 5, the competition is not anymore in the rear view mirror. Not because it is far behind but because it is the “blind spot” and about to pass Apple.

Forestall could clearly add fuel to Apple at the time when it desperately needs it. And Tim Cook is not the one who could provide a much needed spark.

One thing clear, the days when Apple’s fat margins have been justified is over. Apple faces two choices: cut the price or lose its marketshare. AAPL is heading back to $300 with possible bumps up along the road. Forestall was wise to sell all his options.

• Reply 29 of 40
    I'm just hoping this means that apple will stop trying to make things so beautiful at the expense of being cutting edege. You can have both ya know!
  • Reply 30 of 40
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Skeuomorphism is Doomed™.

• Reply 31 of 40
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

A lot of tech reviewers & bloggers have been complaining that iOS hasn't evolved enough & feels stale to them, with Ive getting into the software design space with Federighi, maybe some slight tweaks & ideas might make iOS look slightly different? or heaps, who knows?. 

• Reply 32 of 40

Originally Posted by kharvel View Post

If Scott Forstall was in charge of MobileMe, you can bet your Retina Macbook Pro that he would also be kicked out on the spot.  Why should the Apple Maps and Siri be treated any differently than MobileMe?

Probably because neither is a failure by any stretch of any sane person's imagination. You have zero reason to believe that this has anything to do with Maps. 

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

A lot of tech reviewers & bloggers have been complaining that iOS hasn't evolved enough & feels stale to them…

Screw 'em. They don't get it.

• Reply 33 of 40
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

..... Maybe I need to read the manual. ...

Wow! There's a radical idea ... actually learning about how something works instead of just complaining. Way to go, loser .....oops, sorry ...pfisher.

• Reply 34 of 40
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I left that off as I've not had a real chance to try it yet. I dislike all iterations simply because none have… …say it with me… 

…subcategories of subcategories of subcategories! 700,000 apps and "Education" is the best they can do? Maybe I don't want early childhood education. And maybe I have absolutely no idea what the name of the app I want is. Maybe I don't know that the app that I really do want even EXISTS. I shouldn't have to know. I should be able to find it, piece of cake. I can't right now.

That's why they bought Chomp. They're working on it. But while we're on the subject ..... are you really saying that an app that may not exist should be easy to find in a store that contains over 700,000 apps? I think your expectations are just a tad too high, don't you?

• Reply 35 of 40

Originally Posted by new bee View Post

…are you really saying that an app that may not exist should be easy to find in a store that contains over 700,000 apps?

Nope. 

• Reply 36 of 40

Quote:

I couldn't believe the headlines of the article on AI that Forstall and the other guy were out. I wasn't sure if it was some joke and it certainly was not April Fools Day. Wow. Had to take a couple of double-takes on that.

I think Forstall drank the cool-aid and believed everything the fantasies in his head told him. We all know about how dated iOS is looking, about how a lot hasn't changed. The App Store is terrible to use now, and so on. 

This guy has probably never had a really difficult time in his life. Maybe getting booted out of Apple will teach him some lessons Jobs had to learn after getting booted himself. 

And I think we never heard anything good about Browett.

If you are going to put a certain look on your apps to make Game Center look like bad poker or Notes to look like legal paper, at least give us the power to change the skins on those apps!!!

Also, why can't I make Chrome my default browser in iOS? I really do prefer it far better than Safari.

And Siri, I try to use it, but too many failures and I have realized its easier to just type out what I need done. Maybe I need to read the manual. But please don't promote Siri as the best thing since sliced bread.

By brother has a cheapo Android phone on Virgin Mobile and he can get voice control to work great. Asks Google how to get to the closest pizza place, and it gives him directions.

Why do you need an iPhone 4S for Siri and turn by turn to work? Why the planned obsolescence so soon in a product? 

All of the text not crossed is non-idiocy. Bt me too, I saw it on Twitter by 9to5 and was like 'holy shit' and 'i gotta check this out'. So i headed over there, and wow, it was true, i never thought he would leave (Scott). He was a huge contributor to Apple and I would prefer him to stay. And Tallest is right, you should just leave. When only 1% of your post is good, you know you suck.

• Reply 37 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Probably because neither is a failure by any stretch of any sane person's imagination. You have zero reason to believe that this has anything to do with Maps. 

It is most definitely a failure by Apple's standards.  A mediocre company like Microsoft might think that Maps and Siri were enormous successes but Apple is NOT mediocre by any stretch of any sane person's imagination. 

• Reply 38 of 40
    sipsip Posts: 210member

Steve Jobs had a certain personality and character that he could be hands-on -- there is no-one at Apple who has that. SJ also had charisma, and I'm sure some of his teams would have been willing to make big sacrifices for him and Apple. Forstall doesn't have that and can't emulate SJ. Look at all the Keynotes where he was asked to demo features -- I always thought he was far from relaxed, not a natural in front of his peers or journalists and certainly rubbed-me off the wrong way.

Also, Senior VPs don't do the design work themselves, they provide ideas, play devil's advocate and provide direction. Each SVP has a team of very talented people who do all the hard work, just like all those people employed on-the-factory-floor at Foxconn.

What I miss is being able to customise my Mac the way I could in MacOS9 and before Jobs scrapped that "feature".

• Reply 39 of 40
    Jeff Williams, operation and Tim Cook is in the same mold. Even the look. Good direction then...
  • Reply 40 of 40
    I was hoping for Apple to create more GUI for the underlying UNIX core, but I think that dream has gone.
    Now I am of the opinion that our Macs will become large iPhones, and directories and functionality will disappear in favor of what the mainstream users do (meaning hiding and removing what they don't understand.)
    The average user cannot figure out where they save a document, or why they can't use a VPN when they aren't connected to the internet. Bring in the auto-open, remove save as, etc. All things I personally cannot stand in OS X.

This was a long standing fear of mine that when Apple moved to Intel, they would cater to the masses with OS X rather than keep it moving forward for those that understand UNIX, and its underlying power. It's taken longer than expected, but it is happening. Not trying to say Apple is doomed, because this will make them more popular with the average user. I'm afraid that the professional crowd may be thoroughly disappointed though.