Apple's executive shakeup viewed as consolidation, not cause for concern

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone ever notice how completely and utterly wrong you are? Steve used a script every single time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

You almost certainly wrong. Even Steve used a script. I'm sure the others do also. They may  just be better at hiding it. That only speaks to Scott's experience and smoothness in public speaking.

Apologies to all.  My comment was with respect to the grammar school flip book that Scott used in his presentations.  I understand everyone has a "script", but was speaking to how unprepared that made him look in comparison to the rest of the usual presenters.

• Reply 22 of 65
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

the comparisons to Steve Jobs are amazing...

The comparisons to Steve Jobs are ridiculous.

First and most obvious, SF has zero charisma, zero warmth, zero RDF.

Second, SJ was primarily an artist. SF an engineer.

• Reply 23 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

you do realize Jonny Ive is British right?

And he's a KNIGHT to boot.  That's just...awesome.

• Reply 24 of 65
    Bowett leaving... Fantastic... He did not belong and just wanted to do whatever it takes to make a difference and make a mark.. Regardless of apples culture and image and hallmarks .

Forstall.. I can see why he id gone... Maybe becoming too jaded and arrogant. Screwed up maps...
    Siri is not truly showing its potential.. And ios apps have disjointed interface... No harmony or consistency in interface design.

IVES will kick butt as head of interface.. He has the taste, the minimalistic approach ..and ergonomic insight! This is awesome for apple!

Eddy will do much better for siri and maps... I believe.

And ios and osx being managed under the same umbrella by Craig. Will bring better synergy

This is great for apple!
  • Reply 25 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Scott is NO Steve !

Every company changes out personnel when management changes. Either the emps don't like the new management or management has different goals that the emps don't want to follow. You just don't want to keep people who are going to undermine you the entire time.

Most of the time they are contracted to stay on for a while during transition to make sure all questions are answered. This is nothing new.

The departure of Scott is a great thing for Apple as he was getting too arrogant for his position. Things were not quite coming together (maps).

I'm excited about the future of Apple more so then before.

First order of business for any regime change? Kill the intellectuals, jail the lawyers. :D

• Reply 26 of 65
    "If the company can be successful without Steve Jobs, it can be successful without Scott Forstall,"

We are only starting to see the management and product decisions being made "post Jobs". I have no doubt that Jobs had significant input into all the products Apple is currently introducing.

I wonder whether Forstall's departure would have been endorsed by Jobs given that Forstall likely had the same difficult demeanour (as reported by people celebrating his departure)while Jobs was still at the helm. I don't think so.

As management and creative talent leave Apple, taking their creative ideas with them, Apple will suffer, to the extent it can't replace them with better talent and will also suffer when they join competitors bringing Apply style innovation to their doorstep.

I don't see much good coming out of these changes despite how the "analysts" might try to spin things. Of course the only people who really know what is going on is current Apple management.
  • Reply 27 of 65

But he cut his 'managerial teeth' in the US....
  • Reply 28 of 65

Quote: Watch "Are You Being Served?" on PBS one evening and you will learn everything you need to know about British management.

Yeah or better yet..."The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perin" :) "It's not too late for a leopard to change horses in mid-stream!"

• Reply 29 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But he cut his 'managerial teeth' in the US....

"Stay away from me, man! I cut you!"

• Reply 30 of 65

This is GREAT news for the future of innovation at Apple. They just swept aside those who stood in innovation's path.

• Reply 31 of 65
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

He has lived in the US for over twenty years. 

• Reply 32 of 65
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

The role of the board of directors in this management revamp has not been discussed. It's hard to imagine that significant changes to the structure of corporate management would have been taken without consulting at least some of Apple's board members, even if the plans were mapped out by Cook and any designees that he brought into the loop. Six of Apple's seven outside directors rose to top leadership in a diverse range of businesses, and one of their responsibilities as directors is to become familiar with and periodically monitor the performance of Apple's executive officers (see http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/AAPL/1243745810x0x443006/9bf4bd94-42fd-4e88-84f9-908dfc3ecb60/compensation_charter.pdf). Do boards care about the corporate climate among management? In Apple's case, you bet.

Much of this discussion seems to have assumed that these decisions took place in a vacuum, without some sort of consensus among those responsible for corporate governance. That would be shortsighted.

Moreover, I am getting the sense that Bob Mansfield was anything but passive in these past few months. His appointment as Executive VP over a new group, Technologies, signifies that he may have mapped out the dimensions of that role for himself, with the full concurrence of Cook and the board. It'll be as interesting to see what direction he takes that responsibility as it will be to see where Ive goes from here. Both of them may truly be carrying the torch of innovation that Steve Jobs brought forward for so many years.

• Reply 33 of 65
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Amazingly there's been no noise about Bertrand Serlet sitting among Apple executives at the iPad mini keynote. He left the company last year.

• Reply 34 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    MacRumors has an article up that makes a lot of sense. Basically saying that Cook is streamlining Apple more into functions than a bunch of different product leaders. The way I see it is you now have an org chart that's basically as follows:

Ive - Design
    Federighi - Software
    Cue - Services

And then all the support players like Schiller, Riccio, Williams, etc.

I think that makes much more sense and hopefully we'll get more cohesive products and user experiences out of it resulting in the best products possible. And it appears that these guys all get along really well so we shouldn't have to worry too much about internal politics. Seems to me that's a win. ;)
  • Reply 35 of 65
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

This move may have been planned this summer shortly after Mansfield's resignation. Cook could have wooed him back with the promise to get rid of Forstall and sweeten the pot with a fellowship-like position to pursue other innovative ideas.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 36 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

the comparisons to Steve Jobs are amazing... when Steve Jobs was ousted at the original Apple he was going to be kept around as an "advisor" but he didn't want too... because he had no power IMO (Just a figurehead with a desk)... As described in Walter Isaacson's book...

That's what I'm thinking too. From what I understand, Scott was a key part of what the iconic iOS is today. I'm personally surprised someone of his status in the industry would be so suddenly leaving a company like Apple.

• Reply 37 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bkcrowl wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking too. From what I understand, Scott was a key part of what the iconic iOS is today. I'm personally surprised someone of his status in the industry would be so suddenly leaving a company like Apple.
    When iPhone basically replaced iPod as the hot product at Apple Tony Fadell stayed on in an "advisory" role. But within a year he was gone. My guess is this was a face saving thing for Forstall or he has some unfinished lose ends he needs to tie up. In Apple's official press release neither Forstall nor Browett were thanked for their service. So my guess is they're both gone for good.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    MacRumors has an article up that makes a lot of sense. Basically saying that Cook is streamlining Apple more into functions than a bunch of different product leaders. The way I see it is you now have an org chart that's basically as follows:
    Ive - Design
    Federighi - Software
    Cue - Services
    And then all the support players like Schiller, Riccio, Williams, etc.
    I think that makes much more sense and hopefully we'll get more cohesive products and user experiences out of it resulting in the best products possible. And it appears that these guys all get along really well so we shouldn't have to worry too much about internal politics. Seems to me that's a win. ;)

You forgot Mansfield—Technology!

This is a huge change, and what was said about his new role is very significant. It sounds to me that Apple is going to move further into manufacturing, including silicon.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jony0 wrote: »
    <p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Helvetica;"> </p>

This move may have been planned this summer shortly after Mansfield's resignation. Cook could have wooed him back with the promise to get rid of Forstall and sweeten the pot with a fellowship-like position to pursue other innovative ideas.

I had the same feeling.

Mansfield: "If you don't get rid of him, I'm through. It's either him or me."

Cook: "What is it with you guys? Jony said the same thing . . ."
  • Reply 40 of 65
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Yeah but how could anyone with such a nailed on doleful gaze and a head permanently set at a jaunty angle, ever do anything mean.