Briefly: iMessage and FaceTime facing second outage in less than a week [ux3]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Wait Johnny Ive has't even started yet. It won't be his fault. Maybe Apple knew this was a Scott Forestall issue and that's why they fired him. 

Possibly, but they may be reviewing everything Forstall was involved in and decided this wan't where it needed to be.

• Reply 22 of 36
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    sflocal wrote: »

Apparently based from the comments of a prior thread, people will demand an apology letter from a non-CEO again.  /s

Beat ya to the /s ;)
  • Reply 23 of 36
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I suppose North Carolina would be affected by the storm, so....

5, 9s would be ~9 hours of downtime per year. I'm sure they don't have SLA language for the customer but I bet they do internally. I'll cut them some slack, perhaps it's Sandy related. Perhaps traffic accidents will be down today since no one can iMessage while they drive.

Still down for me.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    SMS is a remarkable technology. Decades old, handles trillions of messages and is still incredibly reliable.
  • Reply 25 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

...using the power of Jony Ive's MIND!

I guess locating on the eastern seaboard has it's negatives. Maybe build the next one on the moon?

Well, Oregon is closer to the moon....

• Reply 26 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Wait Johnny Ive has't even started yet. It won't be his fault. Maybe Apple knew this was a Scott Forestall issue and that's why they fired him. 

Cook is DOUBLE-FIRING Forestall as we speak! I suspect Forestall was kept on for a few months for Cook to kick the shit out of him when another problem he caused boils to the surface...

• Reply 27 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Cook is DOUBLE-FIRING Forestall as we speak! I suspect Forestall was kept on for a few months for Cook to kick the shit out of him when another problem he caused boils to the surface...

Makes me wonder who Cook is keeping around to blame for the next shit storm to occur under his tenure.

• Reply 28 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Dont offer a service if you can't keep it running basically 24/7 say 51.9999 weeks of the year.

You should probably avoid Twitter then. And Facebook. and Cable TV. And satellite TV. And any public utilities.

• Reply 29 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

SMS is a remarkable technology. Decades old, handles trillions of messages and is still incredibly reliable.

Alot of older technologies are 'reliable'. But that doesn't make them robust, versatile, flexible, or powerful. 

• Reply 30 of 36

Apple status page now says everything is back to normal.  That didn't take too long. :)

• Reply 31 of 36
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

The "find my iPad" service is down too. The service will not locate my iPad mini.

• Reply 32 of 36
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Apple needs to provide me with perfect service even if no electricity is available in any part of the country."

No hyperbole there...

...because, as we know, the entire universe has been punted back to the Mesozoic Age by a storm on the East Coast, and just because 95% of the country is unaffected and TV stations and radio stations and police stations and fire halls and telephone facilities and emergency call centres and hospitals can continue operating on backup power is no reason to expect a communications infrastructure facility to be able to.

• Reply 33 of 36
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Alot of older technologies are 'reliable'. But that doesn't make them robust, versatile, flexible, or powerful. 

SMS has been all those things. Remember that it was designed as a niche service. It's scaled up from thousands of messages to trillions of messages incredibly well.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Blackberrry also does that once in a while, why all the whine on Apple?
  • Reply 35 of 36
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Blackberrry also does that once in a while, why all the whine on Apple?

Right, because after all, no one complained when it happened to BB, right?

Is that the bar now? We don't have to be *good*, we just have to be no worse than our competitors.

• Reply 36 of 36
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

I thought one of iMessage's advantages was decentralization, so that this wouldn't be an issue. Alas, we expect too much magic.

RichL View Post

Except when it inexplicably goes from a near-real-time exchange to a dozen messages being delayed and then received all at once, half an hour late.

Or when my boss plain doesn't receive them half the time because he lives in a first floor apartment and the nearest cell tower just says 'screw it, I tried.'

Or when I'm running errands around town for an hour and don't receive any SMSs until I get home, at which point all the piled up messages blow up my phone.

For all the obscene pricing on SMS, it's a very lazy implementation, with messages being delivered when (if) the carriers feel like it.