iPad mini review roundup: Amazing build quality, impressive battery life, high price

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

FACT: The A5 IS Three SoC Generations Behind the latest Apple SoC.

A5 - As used in the iPad Mini

A5X - As used in the 'new' iPad 3rd Generation

A6 - As used in the iPhone 5/6th Generation

A6X - As used in the 'new' iPad/4th Generation

FACT.  "DaHarder" has no clue what a "generation" is in chips.  This is like saying that Ivy Bridge i3 and i5 are different generations, or even better, that i7-XXXX and i7-YYYY are different generations, which is hilarity personified.

The A5 is one generation.  ONE.  Uno.  Eins.  Ett.  Ichi.  ONE generation behind the latest Apple SoC.  The A5X and the A5 are the same generation architecture, with the A5X having extra GPU cores added.   That is it.  Same analogous comparison with A6 and A6X.

That is a FACT.  Stop talking about things that you have no clue about.  It can be embarrassing. 

-

• Reply 22 of 130
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think the problem some are having is they feel the iPad Mini is nothing more than a smaller version of the iPad 2 . That it's outdated and too overpriced. The iPad 4 update may not have helped that perception because now some look at the A5 as two generations old. Kind of like Apple took sloppy seconds and created the Mini.

While I disagree I can see how some would look at it that way. The two things I hear people bitch about is the A5 chip and the lack of retina diplay. It's easy to tell if the price point is on target, if it continues the sell after the initial push than the price point is fine. Honestly I can't wait to check one out.

I will say that I have a gut feeling that the first upgrade to the Mini will be a big jump in performace. Apple is really keeping their foot on the gas when it comes to iPad performance bumps.

Sure, i can see how people might expect Apple to push the envelope with every device and how people might think that a Retina display in a smaller package might be cheaper than in the 10" iPad but we know it's because they haven't thought it through.

On another note, I really had no interest in the iPad mini until I saw this pic...

PS: I can't wait for the complaints that it's "too big" compared to 7" 16:9 tablets, which is something the Android camp has been saying makes those smartphones better than the iPhone despite personally finding them to be uncomfortable to use with one hand, a common usage with a phone but not a tablet.
  • Reply 23 of 130

I remember people saying after the announcement, "Reviewers will kill it for  (Not retina/Price/A5/etc...)".

Well it turns out reviewers aren't immature nerds who still think the biggest number on the spec sheet wins.

It looks pretty unanimous. The Mini is the best small tablet on the market (like it's big brother is the best larger tablet on the market).

Is it worth $100 more to have the best mobile OS, best Ecosystem, best build quality and best integration? Decide for yourself, but for me it is a no brainer.

The only small tablet I am considering is a Mini.

• Reply 24 of 130
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Nice tablet, but...

The A5 is now 3 generations behind other iPads, the iOS UI is more than dated at this point, the display is not even close to the resolution/quality of other 7 to 8 inch tablet devices (or even most modern smartphones) and the price is 'a bit much' for anything but the base model, especially the US $130.00 additional just for GPS/Cellular radios.

When it comes down to it, the iPad Mini is just another variation on the same 5 year-old iOS theme, which for many will be enough, but it does beg the question: Is Apple Just Running Out of New Ideas?

oh pooh.

it's a great form factor just right for many with a great ecosystem at a fair price. you're reaching for things to be negative about. no one but a few of you will be disappointed to unwrap this Xmas gift.

that said, i'll wait til next year when i expect the V.2 model to double the resolution to the iPhones' 326 dpi, with an A6 chip. that will be spectacular. just wasn't ready yet.

as to iOS, now that Ive's in control finally, i expect the stubborn avoidance of incorporating - and improving - Android and others' good ideas in iOS to finally end. iOS 7 i guess. but this mini will be able to run it too.

• Reply 25 of 130
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

I must start off by saying I ordered one the minute the pre-orders opened. I also did the same for the iphone 5.

That said, I am not worried about the A5 chip as without the retina display it should be more than adequate.

In general, I do question whether Apple is still innovating especially in the OS area. Yes, iOS is the best thing out there by far, but I would like to see some enhancements after 6 years of the same basic look and function.  Yes, there are more apps, but the interface and appearance remain the same. I hope at some point they will devote some effort to bringing out new functionality in the OS.

That's what I want as well. I've already fallen in love with the iPad Mini. I think Apple should just name it the iPad and let the bigger one be the iPad HD/Pro whatever... I like the mini more than the regular iPad. 

• Reply 26 of 130
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Wall Street Journal

I?ve been testing the iPad Mini for several days and found it does exactly what it promises: It brings the iPad experience to a smaller device. Every app that ran on my larger iPad ran perfectly on the Mini...

So much for the naysayers.

• Reply 27 of 130
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure, i can see how people might expect Apple to push the envelope with every device and how people might think that a Retina display in a smaller package might be cheaper than in the 10" iPad but we know it's because they haven't thought it through.

On another note, I really had no interest in the iPad mini until I saw this pic...

PS: I can't wait for the complaints that it's "too big" compared to 7" 16:9 tablets, which is something the Android camp has been saying makes those smartphones better than the iPhone despite personally finding them to be uncomfortable to use with one hand, a common usage with a phone but not a tablet.

I'm sorry but I hate the 16:9 form factor. HATE it! I like the 4:3 because I mostly use the ipad for surfing, reading books, emails, chat.... Maybe a few apps here and there... I'm going to wait in line and get a black iPad mini anyway and see which one I like more the black or the white one... The black looks good in that pic.

• Reply 28 of 130
    adonissmu wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I hate the 16:9 form factor. HATE it! I like the 4:3 because I mostly use the ipad for surfing, reading books, emails, chat.... Maybe a few apps here and there... I'm going to wait in line and get a black iPad mini anyway and see which one I like more the black or the white one... The black looks good in that pic.

Why are you sorry?
  • Reply 29 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

FACT.  "DaHarder" has no clue what a "generation" is in chips.  This is like saying that Ivy Bridge i3 and i5 are different generations, or even better, that i7-XXXX and i7-YYYY are different generations, which is hilarity personified.

The A5 is one generation.  ONE.  Uno.  Eins.  Ett.  Ichi.  ONE generation behind the latest Apple SoC.  The A5X and the A5 are the same generation architecture, with the A5X having extra GPU cores added.   That is it.  Same analogous comparison with A6 and A6X.

That is a FACT.  Stop talking about things that you have no clue about.  It can be embarrassing. 

A4 = Cortex A8

A5 and A5X = Cortex A9

A6 and A6X = Cortex A15 Class

One gen as stated a dozen times.  If the A7 is a quad core A15 class then still the same gen as the A6.  If it's a 64 bit A53 class then it'll be a next gen SOC.

• Reply 30 of 130

Pssh, I can do that, too. image

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm sorry but I hate the 16:9 form factor. HATE it! I like the 4:3 because I mostly use the ipad for surfing, reading books, emails, chat....

It really is better at many more things than 16:9 in this format.

• Reply 31 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Your statement on innovation begs the question. What innovations in iOS should Apple develop? Further, yes the interface and appearance remain the same, but what should it be changed to and why? 

Change for change sake does not seem to be a good idea. But, we may be seeing some changes now that Forstall will be leaving. One of the rumors is that Forstall was forcing useless design changes on the iOS group and neglecting functional improvements, which Jon Ive wanted. Now that Ive is in control, we may be seeing functionality improvements and simplifications on the design/image side. So, your desire for improvements may be forthcoming.

Maybe with Ive we'll FINALLY get Boot Camp for iOS so we can run Windows Phone on our iPhones! I can't wait another day!

• Reply 32 of 130
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ha and people over at MR are whining that these guys are only giving the min a good review so they get invited to the next Apple keynote. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 33 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Android phones and tablets are big and bulky in comparison, because they have to use a higher clocked CPU/more cores to match the iOS device level of performance, which requires bigger batteries to drive the device for the same battery life, etc.

-

Over last weekend, I briefly played with the Samsung Galaxy S3 at the AT&T store, where I went to determine when they might be getting iPhone 5s in and play with the demo iPhone 5s they have. I also wanted to see what I would be missing if I continued with the iPhone series as compared to the top of the line Android phone. My answer was not much.

I was very surprised at the flimsy feel of the S3, unresponsive screen, confusing interface (chalk that up to inexperience). It is their top of the line, so I hear. It's a $100 less expensive up front for the S3, but that savings on the S3 over the iPhone 5 32GB is quite minor when you take into account the cost of the AT&T contract over 2 years. For the lowest AT&T plan ($40/month), over 24 months for the S3 the cost is about $960+200 = $1160, for the iPhone 5: $960 + 300 = $1260. So, it's less than a 10% premium to buy the iPhone 5 over the S3. 

The Samsung Galaxy II Note is $300 (same as iPhone 5), is on pre-order and does not support text or video messaging. Now why would anyone want to buy the Note, more expensive less functionality than the S3 and even less functionality for the same price for the iPhone 5 32Gb model. 

(Please somebody explain why the Note?). 

• Reply 34 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

that said, i'll wait til next year when i expect the V.2 model to double the resolution to the iPhones' 326 dpi, with an A6 chip. that will be spectacular. just wasn't ready yet.

I'm guessing that the V.2 model will get the A6X chip assuming it'll be retina.

And V.3 is likely a 64 bit A7X from the 2013 iPad 5.  If you do a two year replacement cycle then its likely either skip a year of retina or skip a year of 64 bit...it's a wash at the end.

I dunno, I thought the same thing for the iPhone 3 and I think the iPhone 1 to 3GS to 4S was the better route.  Next year I expect the phones to be 64 bit which feels like a natural cutoff point for future iOS updates.  Meaning my iPhone 5 will be below that cutoff and a bit like the iPhone 3 getting left behind much earlier than the 3GS.

If you want to skip the initial models I think starting on V.3 is better but that's 2 full years of sitting on the sidelines.

• Reply 35 of 130
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Wow.. the Loop certainly has a way with words; don't they? Precise and to the point. Love it.
  • Reply 36 of 130

Quote:

Yeah that picture is pretty awesome. Honestly I really don't know anyone that even owns and Android device anymore. I've never even seen a Nexus 7. The only Android tablet that ever looked decent to me was the Asus TF700T. Overall good quality hardware but still 16:9. What I am really waiting for is the 27" iMac. December feels like a really long wait.

• Reply 37 of 130
    nht wrote: »
    And V.3 is likely a 64 bit A7X from the 2013 iPad 5.
    We just learned about 64-bit ARM launching in 2014. Lets not jump it ahead to 2013 the same day in was announced.
  • Reply 38 of 130
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

more about the screen ...

i still use my nice iPad 2. i got an iPad 3 with retina display for my wife early this year. yeah, the image is better, but not that big a deal that i had to have one. haven't tried out an iPad 4 yet of course.

the mini screen dpi is better than the iPad 2 - same total pixels in a smaller area. it's a real improvement compared to what i'm using. it uses the newer screen technology too, certainly an improvement over the iPad 2.

so if i got a mini now because i like the form factor - have to try one out in a store - the screen quality would be a significant upgrade for me. the lighter weight and one hand size would actually be the reasons tho - those are the two drawbacks of my iPad that bother me the most.

spec heads get hung up on resolution, chip benchmarks, etc. etc. and geeks look for bells and whistles, like how many ports, NFC, multitaksing, etc. etc.

but us consumers just want to use the darn things in our everyday lives. we're built for comfort, not for speed.

• Reply 39 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

it's a great form factor just right for many with a great ecosystem at a fair price. you're reaching for things to be negative about. no one but a few of you will be disappointed to unwrap this Xmas gift.

as to iOS, now that Ive's in control finally, i expect the stubborn avoidance of incorporating - and improving - Android and others' good ideas in iOS to finally end. iOS 7 i guess. but this mini will be able to run it too.

I wouldn't count on it. Apple updates the bottom end products at a slower rate than flagship products. Look at the Touch, Mac Mini.  Since these are so low margin to start with, the wait longer to update them to extend the time they are selling with cost reduced components.

My plan is get a Mini soon, the give it to a relative when I upgrade.

• Reply 40 of 130
    What I am really waiting for is the 27" iMac. December feels like a really long wait.

I bought a desk and desk chair in anticipation of my 27" iMac being released this month.

I really should go down to the UPS Store where I keep a box to pick up those boxes. I know they are in their way. :D