Survey cites brand loyalty in iPad mini buyers; 75% keeping their existing iPad, too

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    I have an iPad 2, similar specs to the iPad mini. After sponsoring 2 external keyboards on Kickstarter and finding the real mousetrap on Zagg (Pro Plus w/backlighting), I plan to keep my iPad 2 and purchase a mini. I also have a MacBook Pro that pretty much stays home. The iPad 2 will go to my place where I stay while I am working and mini will live in my lab coat pocket and in my purse.

I work nights in a hospital and my iPhone is a little too small to try to navigate in the dark when looking up medications and lab values. It also gets used simultaneously to communicate with my colleagues. I think the mini will be a great carry around mobile reference (Epocrates, ACLS, Medscape and even Citrix for mobile access to the EMR) for my work as a nurse practitioner hospitalist.

The Zagg keyboard is bluetooth, so should be compatible with the mini until they come out with a similar sized equivalent. They do have a folio keyboard but from most of the accessories I have seen, they add bulk to an otherwise awesome compact device and in my opinion, defeats the purpose of having the mini.

Debi Wong
  • Reply 22 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

This survey is staggering to me, as I can't really figure out how someone who has a $500+ iPad could justify buying a $330+ mini, for singular personal use, without some pretty task specific applications for which one or the other is poorly suited. Unless of course money is no object and you just collect Apple "toys" because you can ...

I think that's splitting hairs, really. I have 3 pairs of shoes: sneakers, a brown "at work" shoe, and black "dress" show, whereas my ex had a rack full of shoes, over a dozen or so (I won't even go into the space she took up in the closet for clothes). She also had 3 feature phones (this was several years ago when feature phones were the rage), but she had only 1 number and 1 SIM card, which she shuttled between phones. The phone of choice depended on what she was wearing, what bag she was carrying, and what she would be doing. Just like her choice of shoe.

To me, it seemed really strange to spend so much of your disposable income on having a lot of choices in what to wear and what phone to carry, but it was completely normal for her, and I came to accept that. And if I mentioned it to her, I'd hear back about "why do I need more than one computer?" etc. I had 2 PCs, 1 Windows laptop, and 1 PowerBook G4 at the time. I could try to explain to her that one of my PCs was for a media center/file server, and other had different boot partitions for different OSes (back when I gave a shit about that). But technically she was right: I could theoretically make do with a single PC (or laptop), if it had a big enough HDD, which back then, I estimated would be 1TB--which is laughable now. But it made more sense for me to have 1 PC as a media server, 1 PC for doing desktop stuff, a Windows laptop for portable work, and the PowerBook G4 which ran Mac OS X--this was before I made the firm decision to abandon Windows and Microsoft.

My point is that what we think is "normal" as far as what we need or can justify is a very fluid and relative thing. For example 2 years ago, Steve Jobs stood in front of the world and tried to sell us on the idea that our computing universe wasn't complete with just a smartphone and laptop, that there was a "third category of device" in between the two:

and never having owned, used, or seen an iPad, I remember being a bit skeptical when I saw that slide, but then fast-forward to 2012. This slide sums up the current post-iPad zeitgeist:

Like you, I also agree that I wouldn't give up my iPad. It's a device that, two years ago, many of us didn't think we needed is now indispensable, essential. While I don't think the iPad mini is a "fourth category of device" (it's still in the third category), it's different enough and cheap enough that, like my ex and her multiple feature phones (which were also in the $250-$400 range back in 2005-2006), some people will find a reason to own more than one. And given that 75% of initial buyers plan to carry both, I don't think that's a small number. I personally wouldn't do that, but I'm not going to argue with someone over how they spend their money, or ask them to justify themselves to me.

• Reply 23 of 24

I'm one of those 3 owners who also ordered an iMini and will probably keep both.  My reasons:  it was a chance to upgrade from 16gb to 64, and I feel the size and weight will make it a device I'll have on me constantly unless I'm at work.  The 3 I'll keep around for retina apps and future jailbreaking.

• Reply 24 of 24
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Munster's small survey notes that initial buyers of the iPad mini represent many repeat customers. While 54 percent of iPad 3 buyers were new to iPad, only 42 percent of iPad mini were, with 11 percent reporting owning the original iPad, 23 percent claiming an iPad 2, and 25 percent saying they just bought iPad 3.

This is what Microsoft, Google, and Amazon are facing.  Apple's pervasive, worldwide mindshare.

Nobody in the tech world can make a move in the smartphone or pad computer space without being instantly

compared against Apple.  You say "tablet" or "slate" or "pad" and people think "iPad."  And there's nothing

any would-be Apple competitor can do about that.

Good luck with repeat customers Microsoft, Google, and Amazon.  

And let us know when you've sold your first 100 million iPad clones.  We literally can't wait!